Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karboN.6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Ny
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if i could backup my computer to time machine (my external harddrive) and then just take out the old harddrive and put the new one in and recover to the new ssd? I hear some people say to get carbon clone and an enclosure? I am just trying to figure out if I should order the enclosure or carbon copier or i dont need it at all. Thank you I have a mid 2010 MBP.. Basically I am wondering if I could back up all of my information and simply take out the old Hd and put in the new ssd and restore from time machine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBgjnIv0a7w

Last edited:

karboN.6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Ny
Also can I just download the ios from the app store and save it on a flash drive so when I do switch the hard drives i can just restore the os from the flash drive?

karboN.6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Ny
Plop SSD in, install OS X. Restore from your Time Machine backup using migration assistant.

Done.

Why do some of the tutorials say to download carbon copyer and stuff like that, also do i need to download the Yosemite OS onto a flash drive or will it be on my time machine back up?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Why do some of the tutorials say to download carbon copyer and stuff like that, also do i need to download the Yosemite OS onto a flash drive or will it be on my time machine back up?

I may be wrong but your computer is too old to do an online recovery when your hard drive is blank (if anyone wants to correct me, go ahead).

You'll want to install OS X from either your recovery discs and upgrade all the way to Yosemite, or you can make yourself a Yosemite bootable USB install, either way will work.

Carbon copy cloner is another option, and it does exactly what it's name implies. You'd need to put your SSD into an external enclosure, run carbon copy cloner so that it clones your current hard drive to your SSD, then it's just a straight swap.

Time machine backups are not bootable, so you can't use it without having OS X installed on the drive in the first place.

karboN.6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Ny
I may be wrong but your computer is too old to do an online recovery when your hard drive is blank (if anyone wants to correct me, go ahead).

You'll want to install OS X from either your recovery discs and upgrade all the way to Yosemite, or you can make yourself a Yosemite bootable USB install, either way will work.

Carbon copy cloner is another option, and it does exactly what it's name implies. You'd need to put your SSD into an external enclosure, run carbon copy cloner so that it clones your current hard drive to your SSD, then it's just a straight swap.

Time machine backups are not bootable, so you can't use it without having OS X installed on the drive in the first place.

Oh thank you I jut need to figure out how to get a downloaded version of Yosemite.

BigBuns

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
North America, eh
Honestly I would just buy a cheap USB to SATA external enclosure (maybe $10-$20) to put the SSD into. You don't need the Carbon Copy Cloner software though, disk utility on your MBP does it all. Follow the instructions in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhNma0ZjrWs

**You may encounter this message using disk utility: "The startup disk can't be used as a restore source. To use this disk as a source, restart your computer using the recovery system, and open Disk Utility again."

In that case read this quick set of steps.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4117794?tstart=0

This is the method I used to set up the SSD. Worked awesome to clone the old HDD and then all it took was swapping the SSD into the MBP.

Hopefully it all goes well! :)

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Would you know if i would be able to either skip downloading the os onto a flash drive or possibly putting it on my external hd to be booted up with the new ssd
If you currently have a recovery disk, you could have your new SSD in an external enclosure and install OS X straight onto it from the recovery partition. That'd also work.

freeskier93

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
I've never had much luck with Migration Assistant, things just never really feel the same and you still have to spend some time redoing things. Carbon Copy Cloner is the quickest option because it can create a true bootable clone of your drive. You can get what you need done in the trial period if you don't want to pay for it.

karboN.6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Ny
If you currently have a recovery disk, you could have your new SSD in an external enclosure and install OS X straight onto it from the recovery partition. That'd also work.

I bought a flash drive so I am going to make a bootable version of OS and then do a time machine restore onto the new drive with my external hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.