Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puercaeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008
So despite some concerns, 2GB does seem to make huge different to tab reloading. I will be watching if things degrade over time but so far my iPad Air 2 is handling 10 tabs quite comofrtably.

Please share your experiences with your iPad Air 2

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
After having like 2-3 opened, I noticed that having more tabs than that open at one time is somewhat useless and annoying. It's one thing to bounce between a few tabs when posting to forums or doing some research but TEN tabs? When does it stop?

I'm just wondering how much of an extreme, fringe "test case" having ungodly numbers of tabs opened at once really is? Seems to be a small user group that fits this mold.

Good luck to ya'll. :confused:

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
After having like 2-3 opened, I noticed that having more tabs than that open at one time is somewhat useless and annoying. It's one thing to bounce between a few tabs when posting to forums or doing some research but TEN tabs? When does it stop?

I'm just wondering how much of an extreme, fringe "test case" having ungodly numbers of tabs opened at once really is? Seems to be a small user group that fits this mold.

I often have about 6-8 open. For websites that I check frequently it is handy to just leave them open so I can tap the tab rather than go via bookmarks, especially when the specific page I want isn't the front page of the site.

I wouldn't like to guess at the proportion of people who do things different ways, but I doubt whether using safari this way is that unusual.

puercaeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008

I usually have may be 4-5 open but I just wanted to test how many tabs iPad Air 2 can take.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
So despite some concerns, 2GB does seem to make huge different to tab reloading. I will be watching if things degrade over time but so far my iPad Air 2 is handling 10 tabs quite comofrtably.

Please share your experiences with your iPad Air 2

Can you please tell me how good is safari web browsing speeds? Is it laptop desktop level speeds when surfing random sites or do you not notice much difference vs older iPads? Thanks!

Zombolo

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
Test it with sites like nine.com or the verge (with pinch to zoom, etc).

Does it crash?

puercaeli

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Can you please tell me how good is safari web browsing speeds? Is it laptop desktop level speeds when surfing random sites or do you not notice much difference vs older iPads? Thanks!

I am living of LTE in rural Australia so... Cannot usually tell difference
But it does seem to be a bit more snappier than say my iPad 4

Loading Verge is less burdensome than before. It loads like normal laptop speed wise.

Whoakapi

Cancelled
May 26, 2010

The major point is not to be to run 10-20 tabs without reloading. The reloading itself is the core problem. On the Air 1, Safari reloads all the time when you switch between apps.

I'm glad that the Air 2 seems to run fine with several tabs open. The Air 1 starts to stumble on its own feet with 2-3 tabs open only. That's just poor performance.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005

Even the Air 1 (and for that matter, the 4) are pretty much desktop speed. They both benchmark nearly as fast as modern computers and in practice are actually faster than the vast majority of the computers people access the web from.

OP - can you give a Sunspider benchmark in Safari for the Air 2?

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006

That might be your use case but for me I have 1 tab opened streaming a video to my Apple TV while browsing in 7-10 tabs. With my iPad 4 it keeps reloading and the tab that contains the video that is streaming will reload and I have to send the video back to the Apple TV and fast forward to where I was in the video. It is frustrating to use and now I'm looking to upgrading for sure. I'll just go to the store on Friday and pick one up as I don't think it will be sold out.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010

I think it's much more common than you seem to believe, and far from any kind of fringe case. I regularly have 8-10 tabs open. Pretty sure lots of people do.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The major point is not to be to run 10-20 tabs without reloading. The reloading itself is the core problem. On the Air 1, Safari reloads all the time when you switch between apps.

Yeah I was going to respond basically this, but also want to add that sometimes just switching to a new tab and then back can cause a refresh of the previous tab. That was more rare. What usually caused a refresh was opening a new tab and visiting a new website, and then going back. That was pretty ridiculous. I've gotten to the point when I'm writing on a forum to just select all and copy what I've written if I need to switch tabs or respond to an email or text. That's going to be a hard habit to break lol.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I think it's much more common than you seem to believe, and far from any kind of fringe case. I regularly have 8-10 tabs open. Pretty sure lots of people do.

I believe he meant ALL users, not just techies. For example, my wife opens no more than a couple of tabs at all time. This is exactly her reason:

After having like 2-3 opened, I noticed that having more tabs than that open at one time is somewhat useless and annoying.

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
I believe he meant ALL users, not just techies.

What does being a "techie" have to do with tablet browsing behavior? Merely clicking a link can open up a new tab. I often find myself with multiple tabs open without ever having meant to.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
What does being a "techie" have to do with tablet browsing behavior? Merely clicking a link can open up a new tab. I often find myself with multiple tabs open without ever having meant to.

From what I noticed, non-techie persons tend to not spam the browser with tabs. They preferred to change sites rather than adding additional tabs. Yes, sometimes clicking a link can open a new tab but they probably close that once done. I rarely saw anyone with more than a few tabs open at once. YMMV.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
I believe he meant ALL users, not just techies. For example, my wife opens no more than a couple of tabs at all time. This is exactly her reason:

My wife isn't a techie either, and consistently opens more tabs than I ever thought possible. Always at least a dozen - she just opens a new one and never bothers to close another, and/or wants to keep a page up without creating a bookmark (which she may well never think to do). Of course, they're reloading constantly.

^^^this, they're unrelated.

adamthomasjones

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
I am living of LTE in rural Australia so... Cannot usually tell difference
But it does seem to be a bit more snappier than say my iPad 4

Loading Verge is less burdensome than before. It loads like normal laptop speed wise.

I second this (albeit on wi-fi, not LTE). Loads as snappily as the MacBook

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I just had 30 tabs plus one app open on my new iPad Air 2 with no reloads and it just kept going. Pretty much confirmed that the tab reloading issue on the original Air was due to RAM.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
I just had 30 tabs plus one app open on my new iPad Air 2 with no reloads and it just kept going. Pretty much confirmed that the tab reloading issue on the original Air was due to RAM.

I kept telling everyone that, look how wrong I was right. This confirms how gimped the iPhones are.

Motawa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
anyone tried it with a game? Would it be possible to have safari open in background with 1 or 2 tabs + mail+ a 3d game without reloading them?

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012

Where you switching between tabs or just opening new tabs? Just opening new tabs is pointless and not a real world scenario like actually switching between 4-5 tabs and check then

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Where you switching between tabs or just opening new tabs? Just opening new tabs is pointless and not a real world scenario like actually switching between 4-5 tabs and check then

I know (and knew) what I was doing -_- I constantly jumped back and forth between 30 tabs (of heavy sites such as Apple and The Verge...). All fine, buttery smooth and never reloaded once.

----------

anyone tried it with a game? Would it be possible to have safari open in background with 1 or 2 tabs + mail+ a 3d game without reloading them?

I had 30 tabs plus one heavy 3d game. No reloading and no sign of reloading.

----------

With no apps running, the iPad Air 1 had around 300MB of RAM free. My new iPad Air 2 has around 1,350MB free. That is over a 4 fold increase in terms of free RAM. My new iPad Air is easily handling anything and everything I throw at it.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I know (and knew) what I was doing -_- I constantly jumped back and forth between 30 tabs (of heavy sites such as Apple and The Verge...). All fine, buttery smooth and never reloaded once.

----------

I had 30 tabs plus one heavy 3d game. No reloading and no sign of reloading.

----------

With no apps running, the iPad Air 1 had around 300MB of RAM free. My new iPad Air 2 has around 1,350MB free. That is over a 4 fold increase in terms of free RAM. My new iPad Air is easily handling anything and everything I throw at it.

Amazing news to hear, so when you switch between Safari and other apps have you encountered any refreshing yet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.