Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maleption

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Released today. No cydia integrated. Said mainly for jailbreak developers.
https://www.pangu.io
Support All Devices running 8.0-8.1( 6/6+/Air2/mini3 included)

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Wow that was quick!!

Glad I can enjoy my Air 2 advert free pretty much from the get go, thanks Pangu! :D

benrd

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
wow is this real?
that's awesome news! can't wait for the release if so!
advisable to update to 8.1 asap then?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
wow is this real?
that's awesome news! can't wait for the release if so!
advisable to update to 8.1 asap then?
With all the bug fixes, I see no reason why anyone would want to be on iOS 8-8.0.2. Definitely update.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Since I updated OTA, should I restore in the next few days to make sure it's compatible, in case apple pushes an 8.1.1 update that patches the JB and would prevent restoring if I were to have a problem when the full Cydia packaged release is out?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Since I updated OTA, should I restore in the next few days to make sure it's compatible, in case apple pushes an 8.1.1 update that patches the JB and would prevent restoring if I were to have a problem when the full Cydia packaged release is out?

1) If you are intent on jailbreaking, you should NEVER do OTA updates, NEVER.
2) Apple will not push out a firmware update for the purpose of blocking a jailbreak unless the hackers have exposed a venerability which could be exploited maliciously (virus)
3) Even if Apple would push an update for bug fixes, there is not requirement to install it.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
2) Apple will not push out a firmware update for the purpose of blocking a jailbreak unless the hackers have exposed a venerability which could be exploited maliciously (virus)
3) Even if Apple would push an update for bug fixes, there is not requirement to install it.

I actually don't believe this was the case for all jailbreaks. It worked fine on Pangu for iOS 7. I do recall it being problematic for some tools, though.

Last edited:

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012

Why is this? What difference does it make if you update through iTunes vs OTA and how does it affect jailbreaks?

I updated my iPhone to 8.1 OTA the other day, but I don't understand how that would cause an issue with jailbreak after the fact. Thanks for any info in advance!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Why is this? What difference does it make if you update through iTunes vs OTA and how does it affect jailbreaks?

I updated my iPhone to 8.1 OTA the other day, but I don't understand how that would cause an issue with jailbreak after the fact. Thanks for any info in advance!

The Ramdisk is different when using OTA vs an iTunes restore, so the the JB might fail as it is usually writen for a specific set of exploits, apparently this is the case for Pangu 8.x as they issued a warning to that effect.

Just download the IPSW and do an iTunes restore to 8.1

----------

Maybe hold of for now...

PanguTeam
‏@PanguTeam
Current Pangu Jailbreak v1.0.0 is disabled remotely because we are fixing bug which may cause lost of your photos. Please wait ...

https://twitter.com/PanguTeam/status/524899879655464961

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I'm glad the jailbreak is out but I'm kind of disappointed with the state of ios as it is. I still have some nagging bugs and performance issues with my i5 such as safari slowness, battery percentage glitches, and statusbar overlay showing up within zoomed pictures in the messages app. Could I still have these problems because I OTA updated from beta 2? Do you guys still have these problems? Should I fresh restore from iTunes?

Also I'm thinking all my old themes should be compatible since nothing has really changed with the visual style. Can't wait to have my after hours and eli7e back. Really miss those themes!

I just kind of with the jailbreak team waited until ios was polished up a little before releasing.

TheComposer

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
So I'm in IOS 8.0.2, Should I upgrade to 8.1 with Itunes and then install the tool.

That's how it works right?, I'm kind of rusty with my JB (I know I have to wait for Cydia)

:apple:

rdcrds

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
Since i did over the air 8.1 do i Restore my Iphone in Itunes to factory settings then update some how from there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.