Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Can someone with the new ipad air 2, who knew what the problem was on the air 1 verify if the Book spine effect, or color temperatures discrepancies in some spots of the display are still present or are finally gone this generation ?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Like 5 people on the planet have one. And as with every release, one iPad will not be representative of all of them.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Can someone with the new ipad air 2, who knew what the problem was on the air 1 verify if the Book spine effect, or color temperatures discrepancies in some spots of the display are still present or are finally gone this generation ?

the verge I believe discussed a pink tink, which is like my 3. I may be finally able to keep this one.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I've just order another from Apple because the one I received this morning has a faint but noticeable tint to it. I notice it mostly with greys - in Settings, the grey on the left had side is a little warmer than the grey on the right hand side.
The Air 1 that I just sold was perfect with no screen uniformity issues.

RobNor

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
Mine is more uniform than the original Air but also a little cooler as is my iPhone 6+

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
This is not related to the screen coating and is unrelated to viewing angle. I have seen this before on older iPads and my retina mini currently has a similar issue.

Perhaps in your case it's unrelated to the coating, but I'm just saying the coating is gonna throw people for a loop.

As to LCD color unevenness, I would expect no major differences from the orginal Air, which to my eye had some degree of color shift in every example I saw, which is to say dozens, in multiple retail stores across 3 states.

popeyesm

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
Cooler Screen slightly more pronounced Book Spine Issue

Just got mine and discovered that side by side with my Air the Air 2 is distinctly cooler and has more pop. I am sure this is as variable on this model as the last, but my unit has a more pronounced slight blue shadow along the left edge of the display (button down/portrait orientation) than my Air. This book spine effect was common on many Airs. I think it has something to do with the thin design and using one sidelight instead of two. I have yet to decide if it bothers me enough to go through the roulette of iPad exchanges to find a better one.

Overall I like the snappiness and cooler tone of this laminated screen.

Last edited:

Alundra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Just got mine and discovered that side by side with my Air the Air 2 is distinctly cooler and has more pop. I am sure this is as variable on this model as the last, but my unit has a more pronounced slight blue shadow along the left edge of the display (button down/portrait orientation) than my Air. This book spine effect was common on many Airs. I think it has something to do with the thin design and using one sidelight instead of two. I have yet to decide if it bothers me enough to go through the roulette of iPad exchanges to find a better one.

Overall I like the snappiness and cooler tone of this laminated screen.
If the air 2 really has a more noticeable bookspine on the left side that would be terrible news.

The bookspine was my main issue with the air 1 display. Had to replace it about 4 times to get one that was fine.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
My Air 2 arrived. Sadly it has a band of faint pink across the bottom inch of the screen. Gonna see if I stop staring at it in the next few days. I would hate to get sucked into the buy/return vortex like last year.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
My Air 2 arrived. Sadly it has a band of faint pink across the bottom inch of the screen. Gonna see if I stop staring at it in the next few days. I would hate to get sucked into the buy/return vortex like last year.

Thickness? So the tinting is top to bottom vs left to right like air 1/mini 2

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
If the air 2 really has a more noticeable bookspine on the left side that would be terrible news.

The bookspine was my main issue with the air 1 display. Had to replace it about 4 times to get one that was fine.

so are the LEDs on the right side then?

popeyesm

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
Bookbind effect

as with first air models, my 2 arrived with an otherwise great screen but with the dreaded dim band down the length of the left side of the display.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

At this point i'd possibly buy multiple and go through them until you get one you can live with.

Saves trips. If first one is a success, you need not open any more.

Sad but true.

also vortex is a perfect way to describe it

Mitchdoc

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Got mine have the book spine eff3ct.think I might bring it back. Returned Galaxy tabs for similar types of screen uniformity issues.

FranksWildYears

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
I got really lucky with the screen on mine (my first iPad Air last year had horrible uniformity). So much so that the temptation to switch my gold Air 2 for a silver is diminishing rapidly.

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012

What color of hue is the rest of the screen ? Does it look uniformed minus that faint pink band?

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
The AIr screen was great as is. Is this a case of people hunting for something wrong just because?

That vortex someone mentioned here rings true but it's more like the vortex of insanity versus the return vortex.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
The AIr screen was great as is. Is this a case of people hunting for something wrong just because?

That vortex someone mentioned here rings true but it's more like the vortex of insanity versus the return vortex.

Just because they aren't happy with the crap quality of their screen?

I guess expectations would be lower if Apple didn't keep telling us these are the best screens on any tablet. Perhaps they should market them as average screens?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
The bottom line is you are paying a lot of money for these devices. If they were consistent then it wouldn't be much of a problem but when you had had devices with a perfect screen, why would you then settle for one with a screen that a sub par? Each to their own but I know I won't be!

popeyesm

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
What color of hue is the rest of the screen ? Does it look uniformed minus that faint pink band?

The rest of the screen is quite nice - cool white and bright. It makes me hesitant to return and risk other issues I have had with retina screens like more noticeable yellow areas.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
The rest of the screen is quite nice - cool white and bright. It makes me hesitant to return and risk other issues I have had with retina screens like more noticeable yellow areas.

If anyone's lucky enough to get a cool white screen keep it. Mine has yellow tinge and doesn't look no way near as good as my iP6 Plus!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.