Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nordicdiver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Maybe it was the same for the Air but its getting uncomfortable to hold it now after an hour with apps installing and use, hot on the right side :(

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
When you install numerous apps it's going to get warm, especially if your installing games. It's best just to leave it alone during this process.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Is it only during apps installation or heavy processing activity? You can use case to lessen the heat in your hands but this is quite a bit of a sore. iPad 2 still better in this department it seems.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Air 2 uncomfortable hot to hold

The System Status app can help with CPU activity tracking:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413993106.491373.jpg

I'd do a few restarts to ensure nothing was still configuring itself, then run a few graphs to confirm how hard the CPU is working.

insoc

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Do you notice an improvement weight wise? I mean, does the Air 2 feels easier to hold for longer time with one hand than the Air 1?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
The System Status app can help with CPU activity tracking:

View attachment 507465

I'd do a few restarts to ensure nothing was still configuring itself, then run a few graphs to confirm how hard the CPU is working.

Cheers for the heads-up on System Status ... just bought the app bundle.

----------

At 0.07lbs lighter, I don't think it's much of an improvement.

Does the screen glass feel better? The Airs glass felt really thin and fragile

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I can't remember with my Mini 2, but my iPhone 6 Plus got fairly warm when I was loading the iCloud backup. It's especially worse if you have it plugged in charging while doing it. Installing hundreds of apps while blasting the WiFi at full speed non-stop, while blasting the processor at full-speed non-stop while it installs the apps, while blasting the flash memory at full-speed non-stop while it receives and organizes new data that is being downloaded and unpacked from the install file, and yeah, it's gonna get pretty warm at first. That's a lot of components that are running at full capacity for hours if you have a large backup to restore!

nordicdiver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
"You're holding it wrong"

Sorry, I had to...

ye i was holding it wrong :), if i hold it on the lover right instead of the middle right its cooler on the hand.

----------

"You're holding it wrong"

Sorry, I had to...

I bought just the front magneto flappy thingy for it, had hoped not to get a full cover on it, but if it will be this hot then i have to i guess

----------

I found it still hot after apps had installed,, until the battery ran out,, much faster than i liked tbh

----------

Do you notice an improvement weight wise? I mean, does the Air 2 feels easier to hold for longer time with one hand than the Air 1?

never used the air as i was upgrading from the ipad 2, but i held it in one hand for 3 hours or so,, but then i am a chunky commercial diver with strong hands (no gf at the moment)..

----------

The System Status app can help with CPU activity tracking

Thanks!

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
I'm noticing the warmth too. I'm currently using it without a case and in portrait mode and the right hand side is getting noticeably warm.

All apps were installed hours ago, I'm just web browsing at the moment with about three or four tabs on the go. I had the mail app open in the background too but now I've killed that off and it seems to be cooling down.

I wouldn't say it's uncomfortably warm, it's just noticeable but every other iPad I've owned has had a case or cover on it so I wondered whether they do it too and I've just never noticed!

Rockies

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011

I have been playing around within the Air 2 and coming from the Air 1 there is no significant weight difference.

insoc

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
I have been playing around within the Air 2 and coming from the Air 1 there is no significant weight difference.

So, that means the Air 2 is still uncomfortable to hold with just one hand meaning is not yet a substitute for the iPad Mini weight wise?

jeffjak25

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2006
I have noticed my iPad air 2 getting a little warmer when playing games. I guess it's the increased thinness. I have also noticed that things have been a lot faster to load. Has anyone else? The reviews say different, but I've noticed change from my original iPad Air.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
Been installing all apps all night and this iPad air 2 is the coolest iPad to touch ever. I have zero heat issues even when playing 3D intensive games so far. This iPad air 2 is a totally sleeper beast!

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
It's definitely getting warm on the right side in portrait mode. From iFixit's tear down, this is exactly where the processor is. It's almost uncomfortable but the rest of the device makes up for it.

nemesis4670

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2013
I definitely noticed the heat on the right side as well. The original Air didn't have this issue. The sound vibration from the speakers is also pretty annoying. A case does not solve it but it may help the heat issue.

I see people asking if the weight reduction is a noticeable improvement. I honestly found that the iPad Air 2 doesn't have it's weight distributed as well as the original iPad Air. It almost is on the verge of being top heavy. Probably because they moved components around. They may be different weights on a scale, but they feel exactly the same in your hand comfort wise when holding it for long durations.

But let's be honest you're not going to find a tablet that is lighter/thinner than this so the point is moot.

I do like how the front of the Air 2 looks much nicer. The black front panel is much darker and closer to being black, and the anti-reflective screen looks really nice. The Touch ID is the finishing touch aesthetics wise. Although I found myself turning it off because it interferes with my keyboard case's auto-wake/sleep feature. I would have to keep unlocking the device every time I opened the keyboard case. Kind of a shame.

Colors are more vibrant on the Air 2 screen vs the Air. The performance upgrade is not that significant coming from an Air. It probably won't be until the developers start utilizing the new power. You can open more tabs in Safari and it's a little snappier overall though.

I just got it because I want to be future proof and wanted to upgrade before they patch the new iOS 8.1 jailbreak.

----------

Been installing all apps all night and this iPad air 2 is the coolest iPad to touch ever. I have zero heat issues even when playing 3D intensive games so far. This iPad air 2 is a totally sleeper beast!

Hold the iPad in portrait mode and feel the right side toward the lower middle. It will get hot right underneath your hand.

If you're claiming this isn't happening then you're either using a case or your hands lack the ability to feel heat.

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
All my iOS devices are practically molten when restoring a new device from an iCloud backup. The battery goes down very quickly as well. This is because the device is installing apps constantly.

Once it's restored, charge the battery to full. You probably won't experience the same level of use again in its lifetime.

Whoakapi

Cancelled
May 26, 2010
The CPU has to get rid of the heat produced in processing. Apple is using the case to disperse the heat. In CPU intensive tasks, the case will warm up. It is all about physics

By using the iPad casing, the heat is transferred to the user's hands. This means an increase in body temperature. As result, the user will spend less resources on heating up their homes. The final result is therefore decreased resource consumption.

Apple really cares about the environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.