Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I know that Apple has not opened up to developers the ability to do anything with the NFC capabilities of the phone. However, I was wondering if simply opening Apple Pay will activate the NFC signal. I have a Nokia Play 360 bluetooth speaker that can activate the pairing feature by tapping an NFC phone to the speaker, but I can't seem to get it to respond to my phone. Anyone have any insight on this?

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
I know that Apple has not opened up to developers the ability to do anything with the NFC capabilities of the phone. However, I was wondering if simply opening Apple Pay will activate the NFC signal. I have a Nokia Play 360 bluetooth speaker that can activate the pairing feature by tapping an NFC phone to the speaker, but I can't seem to get it to respond to my phone. Anyone have any insight on this?

I've read somewhere recently that Apple is only allowing the NFC chip to be used for Apple Pay for now. Like they did with Touch ID, they may open up the NFC functionality next year for wider use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.