Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the launch of pre-orders last Friday, Apple's new iPad Air 2 and Retina iPad mini 3 models are now making their way into customers' hands and onto retail store shelves. According to The Inquirer and reports from MacRumors readers, pre-orders are now being delivered, and the tablets are now available for purchase online and in store.

apple-store-ipad-air2.jpg

Customers in launch countries of the UK and Australia started receiving their tablets today and have already posted unboxing videos. Unlike the iPhone 6 which featured a plain white box, customers report the box for the iPad Air 2 is similar to the original iPad Air with a color representation of the iPad on the cover.

Apple's online store also is still accepting orders with delivery dates of 2 to 4 days for most iPad Air 2 models. In-store pickup for the Air 2 is not available yet for online shoppers, but we have heard from multiple sources that Wi-Fi models are arriving at at least some of Apple's own retail stores for sale beginning today. Based on online ordering, iPad mini 3 supplies are more abundant, with most Wi-Fi models currently available within 24 hours and cellular models shipping in 1-3 days.

Apple announced the iPad Air 2 last week, highlighting the device's new A8X processor, Touch ID sensor and improved camera. Early benchmarks suggest the iPad Air 2 is up to 55 percent faster than the iPhone 6 and 68 percent faster than last year's iPad Air. The first round of reviews of the Air 2 point out benefits such as a thinner profile and vibrant display, while also noting a slight decrease in battery life compared to the previous generation.

While the Air 2 has received fairly strong reviews, the iPad mini 3 has been less well received with most reviews noting the device's similarity to the iPad mini 2. The iPad mini 3 ships with the same processor and camera options as its predecessor, with the only notable improvements being a Touch ID fingerprint sensor and a new gold option.

The iPad Air 2 is available with a starting price of $499 for the 16GB Wi-Fi-only model, with equivalent cellular models available for $130 more. The iPad mini 3 starts at $399 and is available in Wi-Fi-only and cellular configurations.

Article Link: iPad Air 2 and Retina Mini iPad 3 Pre-Orders Arrive as Apple Begins In-Store Sales

Joesg

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
East Coast, USA
I wonder what the "Total Confusion!" in the title of that unboxing video had to do with anything. The only thing confusing about it was the title...

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I don't understand why anyone would view this guy as stupid, when it's Apple that's is stupid.

If you make a product called the iPad Air, then next year, you release a new model and you as a company call it the iPad Air 2.

Then why as a company would you seal it inside a box with iPad Air written on the outside.

That is the only stupid aspect going on here.

randymac09

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
Maryland
I wonder what the "Total Confusion!" in the title of that unboxing video had to do with anything. The only thing confusing about it was the title...

I guess it had to do with the guy being confused whether or not he had an iPad Air 2 or iPad Air 1. The box only said iPad Air, so I think that threw him a bit.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It was really weird that Apple didn't announce a release date for these tablets in store.

I wonder why they didn't want lines for these tablets?

They probably weren't expecting lines since they had adequate supply and the update was relatively minor. Apple sold nearly as many iPhones on launch weekend as they did iPads during the entire quarter.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
But why is the Mute/Lock button gone?!

It probably saved some space internally. And since there is a software solution in the Control Center it's consistent with Apple's design philosophy.

Cooee!

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2014
I can see stupid people making videos about the bend test on this thing.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My 10/17 pre-order 5 minutes after launch is still "preparing for shipment," but I'm out of town until Friday night, so I'd be happy if it gets to me by then.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I don't understand why anyone would view this guy as stupid, when it's Apple that's is stupid.

If you make a product called the iPad Air, then next year, you release a new model and you as a company call it the iPad Air 2.

Then why as a company would you seal it inside a box with iPad Air written on the outside.

That is the only stupid aspect going on here.

When you look at the naming conventions overall, it's a bit confusing.

iPad
iPad 2
The new iPad
iPad with Retina display
iPad Air
iPad Air 2

Unless you're an Apple fan, you'd be forgiven for being confused about which device fits where in the family. Even more confusing when you consider "Air" is the name of Apple's low-end laptops, but high-end tablets.

Last edited:

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
When you look at the naming conventions overall, it's a bit confusing.

iPad
iPad 2
The new iPad
iPad 4
iPad Air
iPad Air 2

Unless you're an Apple fan, you'd be forgiven for being confused about which device fits where in the family. Even more confusing when you consider "Air" is the name of Apple's low-end laptops, but high-end tablets.

Wasn't the iPad 4 called iPad with Retina?

aduzik

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
My 10/17 pre-order 5 minutes after launch is still "preparing for shipment," but I'm out of town until Friday night, so I'd be happy if it gets to me by then.

Mine too! I've heard they'll most likely be launching in-store tomorrow. If personal pickup is an option I'll just do that and cancel the online order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.