Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple Pay positioned as a brand new service that requires banks, credit card companies, and vendors to all work together, it seems that some glitches in the system are inevitable.

Some Bank of America customers have been running into a serious problem when using Apple Pay to make purchases, with two charges showing up on their credit card statements. A CNN report from this morning first suggested that multiple Bank of America customers had been double charged, which Bloomberg later confirmed. Hundreds of customers are said to be affected.

applepay1.png
A Bank of America representative contacted by CNN said that the issue was on Apple Pay's end and after some confusion about who should be contacted for a refund, Bank of America was able to refund the money.
Bank of America transferred me to Apple Pay customer support. The only problem: Apple's representative reminded me that for security's sake -- as promised -- Apple keeps no records of names or amounts for any of the transactions.

That meant there's nothing Apple could do, the representative told me. So Apple told me to call Bank of America. It was every consumer's worst nightmare: customer service for two companies telling you to call the other.

Thank God for three-way calling. I got Apple and Bank of America on the same line and let them sort it out.

BofA was smart enough to refund me the money, because they said it was obvious to them that these were duplicate charges for the same exact amount.
Bank of America is planning to issue refunds to all Apple Pay customers who were double charged, and according to CNN, a fix for the problem is expected to be released at some point on Wednesday.
"We apologize for the inconvenience and are working to correct the issue. All customers have been made whole," said Tara Burke, a spokeswoman for Bank of America. "We are always here for our customers and resolve any issues they have."
Banking issues aren't the only problem Apple Pay users are facing. According to a quick test conducted by Business Insider at eleven different retailers, many employees have little knowledge about Apple Pay. At eight separate locations, store clerks did not know whether or not they accepted Apple Pay, and only employees at McDonald's, Whole Foods, and American Eagle Outfitters were aware of the service.

The site had considerably difficulty conducting a return at American Eagle Outfitters, as the store cashiers had not been taught how to do them, but a refund was received "after a period of trial-and-error."

There's also a minor Apple Pay glitch that's causing some credit cards to display the wrong card design within the Passbook app, affecting some Chase and Citibank card users, but a fix for that issue is said to be in the works, according to 9to5Mac.

Many of the kinks with Apple Pay will be worked out over the coming weeks, as retail employees adapt to the new payments service and banks and credit cards work out remaining bugs and issues. According to Apple's Eddy Cue, Apple Pay will be a "game changer." "There's a lot to do here and we have a lot of work to do, but it should be huge," he said in an interview.

Rolled out on Monday through an update to iOS 8.1, Apple Pay is accepted at more than 200,000 retail locations, wherever NFC contactless payments are available. It is also available in an array of apps that have adopted the Apple Pay API, including Uber, Target, and Apple's own Apple Store app.

Update 1:22 PM: Bank of America has confirmed to Re/code that the problem is the result of an issue between the bank and at least one payment processor and that Apple is not involved. A fix is expected today, and roughly 1,000 customers were affected by the double billing.

Update 1:50 PM: An Apple spokesperson told Bank Innovation that Bank of America is working on a fix and that the issue is impacting only a small number of Apple Pay users.
"Apple Pay is off to an amazing start and customers are loving the easy, secure and private way to pay. We're aware of a Bank of America issue impacting a very small number of Apple Pay users. They're working on a fix that will be available shortly and reversing any duplicate transactions."

Article Link: Bank of America Glitch Causes Apple Pay Users to Be Charged Twice for Purchases [Updated]

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Apple Pay Glitch Causes SOME Bank of America Customers to Be Charged Twice for Purchases

I've been using Apple Pay for three days with BofA with no issues. Quit with the sensationalized bullcrap.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
They should have beta tested it with devs before.
For example, **** wouldn't have happened with 8.0.1 if Apple had tested it with devs before!

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
We've designed Apple Pay to unapologetically charge you twice for purchases so you can receive twice as many rewards points. It's rather remarkable isn't it? When you think you're paying once for a purchase but you're actually paying twice. That's the power and simplicity of Apple Pay. - Jony
1671131-poster-1280-jony-ive.jpg

Last edited:

stars_fan

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Nut house
Apple Pay Glitch Causes SOME Bank of America Customers to Be Charged Twice for Purchases

I've been using Apple Pay for three days with BofA with no issues. Quit with the sensationalized bullcrap.

From the article it looked like BoA was going to fix their issue.

I agree my wife had used it on her 6 without a problem.

Jayy24

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
So many people would be without a job these last few months if Steve Jobs were still around.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So only hundreds affected out of millions of new users? It's not ideal but it's not the end of the world either. There was bound to be a glitch or two in the system. Perhaps Apple should have started with a limited beta? At least this glitch doesn't appear to affect the security of the system.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
The last part was interesting:

Banking issues aren't the only problem Apple Pay users are facing. According to a quick test conducted by Business Insider at eleven different retailers, many employees have little knowledge about Apple Pay. At eight separate locations, store clerks did not know whether or not they accepted Apple Pay, and only employees McDonald's, Whole Foods, and American Eagle Outfitters were aware of the service.

The site had considerably difficulty conducting a return at American Eagle Outfitters, as the store cashiers had not been taught how to do them, but a refund was received "after a period of trial-and-error."

There's also a minor Apple Pay glitch that's causing some credit cards to display the wrong card design within the Passbook app, affecting some Chase and Citibank card users, but a fix for that issue is said to be in the works, according to 9to5Mac.

Maybe Apple needs to put out more Apple Pay commercials just to raise awareness since many companies aren't telling their employees about it.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Why do the retail employees need to know if they take Apple Pay. Its pretty clear if the pos machine takes NFC or not. I used it at Walgreens and the employee was amazed and had never heard of NFC, but it didn't matter because it worked, even without her knowledge.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Before it starts, can we not keep using the word -gate after every bad thing related to apple? It makes no sense and has long outlived its welcome as a thing.

So dumb.

And Watergate wasn't about illegal use of water...

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
Exactly the same thing happened with some 'contactless' equipped debit and credit cards in the UK a few years back. I guess that this is one of the teething problems with rolling NFC payment methods.

Still, pretty bad timing for Apple given the events of recent months.:eek:

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
Uh-oh...I wonder on what end was the glitch. Was it Bank of America or it Apple? Since only BoA customers seemed to be affected, I am guessing it was on BoA's end.

Still, for getting everyone onboard with a new payment platform, this isn't the best news...Especially for trying to get it resolved...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.