Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Husk24

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
UNITED KINGDOM - LEEDS
Hi guys

Received my ipad air 2, i also have the ipad air. I noticed the sound/ speakers on the air 2 seem to vibrate , you can feel the distortion/vibration which holding it. Anybody else experience this? My ipad air 1 has not got this problem.

papashango9

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2013
Hi guys

Received my ipad air 2, i also have the ipad air. I noticed the sound/ speakers on the air 2 seem to vibrate , you can feel the distortion/vibration which holding it. Anybody else experience this? My ipad air 1 has not got this problem.

Yes I definitely have this too. Minor annoyance. I wouldn't mind a hpthicker heavier iPad if it meant bigger battery and removing this issue

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
i'm trying to visualize this.

Fortunately I use headphones mostly.

Report as to how bad this is. If voice does this then it's a problem, for sure

HarryMiller

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
ACT, Australia
I've experienced the same. Shocked me at first, but then I guess sound itself is vibration. And with a form factor as small as the iPad and speakers as loud, it kind of makes sense that we can feel the speakers vibrating.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
The OP said "Distortion"

Now, vibration is one thing, distortion another. If these complaints are for 'feel'
and not sound, that would be much less alarming than 'distortion'

adamthomasjones

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
Hi guys

Definitely have this. It's vibration not distortion. The only downside for me.

Husk24

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
UNITED KINGDOM - LEEDS
I guess its the feel of the vibration and not really distortion, but it does feel weird when you holding it, sounds like the bass ( or base ) has been turned on to full!

There are definately an increase to the sound also, at full volume its alot louder than the air 1!

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I am using a first-gen iPad atm, and when it plays audio, I can feel it in the back and in the screen. It is kinda unpleasant to use the screen while music or audio is playing. This is the biggest, heaviest iPad, if it cannot dampen sound, how could you expect that from one of the newer ones?

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
I am using a first-gen iPad atm, and when it plays audio, I can feel it in the back and in the screen. It is kinda unpleasant to use the screen while music or audio is playing. This is the biggest, heaviest iPad, if it cannot dampen sound, how could you expect that from one of the newer ones?

Sure. People know this is nothing, they are just observing.

It would be bad if it distorted when you turn it up, like crappy speakers

Also, the more rigid this thing is, the more it will vibrate, and rigidity is of course is a good thing.

Speakers use inert materials to dampen, like plastic/composite baffles. But plastic isn't happening for this application.

Of course most of you know this, just saying

Last edited:

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
You can definitelyfeel vibrations even in the Apple case. It's noticable but hasn't been unpleasant. What's amazing is how much better the Air 2 sounds compared to the iPad 3!

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
Yeah I've noticed this too. The iPad 4 I had never did it.

I don't really see it being a problem as the case I'm getting will dampen it

adamthomasjones

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
Sure. People know this is nothing, they are just observing.

It would be bad if it distorted when you turn it up, like crappy speakers

There is definitely, 100% no distortion in sound. As i said in my other thread, this is the price of thinness. A minor annoyance.

Some people will enjoy the tingling sensation it gives, I'm sure. :eek:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
As thin as these things are getting, I'm not exactly sure how you're supposed to make speakers work properly. What happens when we have devices as thin as paper? Does the whole surface of the device become a speaker? Then things will really be vibrating out of control.

slide13

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
I just got a mini 2 and experience the same thing. Doesn't really bother me, just something I noticed that I hadn't noticed with my iPad gen 1 (which I finally replaced with the mini 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.