Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rick987611

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
So I got a new iMac, and now have two internal SSD drives from my retired windows box. I'd like to use them. Any external enclosures that will hold 1 or 2 drives. Id like them to be usb3 or thunderbolt, and match the iMac.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
So I got a new iMac, and now have two internal SSD drives from my retired windows box. I'd like to use them. Any external enclosures that will hold 1 or 2 drives. Id like them to be usb3 or thunderbolt, and match the iMac.

It sounds like you need the Akitio neutrino thunder duo

http://www.akitio.com/portable-storage/neutrino-thunder-duo

akitio-neutrino-thunderduo-size_1024x1024.jpg

rick987611

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
That seems way more expensive than I was planning to spend. I figured I would get something for like $50. Guess not.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
That seems way more expensive than I was planning to spend. I figured I would get something for like $50. Guess not.

The only thing with the Thunderbolt logo that you will get for like $50 is a Thunderbolt cable. If you're on a budget, then look for a USB 3 dual drive enclosure and even that will be a struggle for $50, based on my quick perusal of Amazon.com

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
If you need it for a few drives, I would recommend this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-Pr...id=1414011719&sr=8-1&keywords=4+bay+enclosure

Its USB 3.0, 4 bay enclosure. Disable Sync (otherwise drives disconnect when your mac goes to sleep) and you are good to go. I would also recommend switching out the fan as its mega cheap, but I am weird like that. Been running mine for a while, its quiet and haven't had 1 issue.

There is a Raid version of this at $189 on Amazon, USB 3.0 as well. No thunderbolt.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
If you need it for a few drives, I would recommend this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-Pr...id=1414011719&sr=8-1&keywords=4+bay+enclosure

Its USB 3.0, 4 bay enclosure. Disable Sync (otherwise drives disconnect when your mac goes to sleep) and you are good to go. I would also recommend switching out the fan as its mega cheap, but I am weird like that. Been running mine for a while, its quiet and haven't had 1 issue.

There is a Raid version of this at $189 on Amazon, USB 3.0 as well. No thunderbolt.

I prefer the Orico enclosures, if you're going for a 4 bay one.

http://www.amazon.com/ORICO-3549SUS...F8&qid=1414012010&sr=8-1&keywords=orico+4+bay

51JZyLdIRiL._SL1500_.jpg

JediFragger

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Thats a nice looking enclosure. I am just trying to limp along for the time being until I can get money together to buy 4 Seagate 4TB NAS Drives w/Promise R4 Thunderbolt 2 raid array. Thats my dream right now....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!! :eek:

:cool::cool::cool:

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!! :eek:

:cool::cool::cool:

No kidding! Wife was awesome enough to let me upgrade to the Retina iMac, no holds barred as I could custom configure any which way, since I got so much grace for the iMac I have decided not to push the envelope for the Raid Array at this point in time. I figure I will buy a HD every 2 months or so, and then by this time next year I will have the drives and should have the funds to buy the promise raid array...with some groveling to the wife of course. :)

imo this was the upgrade I have been waiting for. I have a 5 year old Mac Pro with a 27" Cinema Display, obviously not thunderbolt, and its been a great machine but its time to upgrade. Cannot wait for Friday!

cycledance

Suspended
Oct 15, 2010

they are probably small, old ssds. sell them.
buy a 1tb ssd (around 350 bucks) and put it into a 20 dollar usb3 enclosure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.