Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XYpal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
Hi guys. Are you happy with purchase of Air2?
My first post here and my first IPad (Air2 WiFi, 128GB, gold) has just arrived and I’m drooling over it, now. I feel like a kid in a candy store vs more experienced users, now.
It is comfortable to hold it in one hand when reading E-books. It was the initial reason, why I have ordered it. I went already through 3 Kindles, where each Kindle did not last longer than 2 years. The Amazon Kindle app works perfect on Air 2. I have a lot of books there. I am historical novel nut (Vikings, Middle Ages, etc).
Of course, I will use it for other things like Pinball game (bad case of addiction here…), or sketches/drawings ideas for my oil painting and countless other things.
I have decided to leave annoying Windows Zombies (I mean Windows 8...), so more Apple products will arrive on my desk in the future.
This forum is really great source of very useful information and I’m glad to join it. The IPad Air2 is so silky smooth when I use it now. Sorry for this over enthusiastic post, but I love my new toy. He, he…

tx2005

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
I'm upgrading after 3 1/2 years with an iPad 2. I'm just as excited as you to go pick my Air 2 up and start to play with it tonight!

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Congrats! Enjoy and welcome to the forum.

Bet you lose some sleep tonight, you being a kid in a candy store! :D

jmxp69

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
My only regret leaving Wintel for Mac several years ago is that I didn't do it sooner. Took me some time, but my entire family is now 99% Apple. We have one rebel 12 y/o girl who likes Google phones over iPhones and there's a Roku here and there for Plex.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
My only regret leaving Wintel for Mac several years ago is that I didn't do it sooner. Took me some time, but my entire family is now 99% Apple. We have one rebel 12 y/o girl who likes Google phones over iPhones and there's a Roku here and there for Plex.
I can't ever go apple for laptops. They cost way to much and I'll never use the features to make it worth it. While I would love a mac book pro I will simply never use the features enough to warrant spending $1,500+ whole a Pc laptop I would use since I primarily only use a laptop for gaming

tx2005

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013

I would love to buy a mac but I can't justify it since I'd still need to use windows for gaming. I can get better hardware for way cheaper with a windows pc/laptop. I'm fully apple tablet/smartphone wise.

jmxp69

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
I can't ever go apple for laptops. They cost way to much and I'll never use the features to make it worth it. While I would love a mac book pro I will simply never use the features enough to warrant spending $1,500+ whole a Pc laptop I would use since I primarily only use a laptop for gaming

I would love to buy a mac but I can't justify it since I'd still need to use windows for gaming. I can get better hardware for way cheaper with a windows pc/laptop. I'm fully apple tablet/smartphone wise.

I used to think that way about Apple pricing too until I realized I was upgrading Wintel laptops every 6-8 months. My MacBooks generally go ~2 years between upgrades and when I roll them down to kids, they go another 2+ years. Factor in free OS upgrades for 6 computers vs. MS upgrade costs, and the amount of time I spent "fixing" Windows issues the ROI for Apple computers greatly exceeds Wintel in my use case.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
I used to think that way about Apple pricing too until I realized I was upgrading Wintel laptops every 6-8 months. My MacBooks generally go ~2 years between upgrades and when I roll them down to kids, they go another 2+ years. Factor in free OS upgrades for 6 computers vs. MS upgrade costs, and the amount of time I spent "fixing" Windows issues the ROI for Apple computers greatly exceeds Wintel in my use case.

Windows updates every 6 months? Yea right..he he.

jmxp69

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Windows updates every 6 months? Yea right..he he.

Not the software, the hardware. Seven (6 at home, 1 in college) computers in the house meant the oldest one was always about three years old and on its last legs hardware wise. Anyway, this is way off topic at this point.

OP: Enjoy the new hardware.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
I used to think that way about Apple pricing too until I realized I was upgrading Wintel laptops every 6-8 months. My MacBooks generally go ~2 years between upgrades and when I roll them down to kids, they go another 2+ years.

Same here. Took a while but I bit the bullet on my late-2008 MBP that lasted me up until just a month or so ago. Nearly 6 years of usage. Got a rMBP to replace it and its been great so far.

At work, I'm assigned a Windows PC and I'm on my 3rd laptop over about the same 6 years. My 2008 MBP lasted the complete life cycle of 2 Windows machines and still runs well.

The up front cost for Macs are high but they last a very long time.

Anyway, congrats to the OP for the Air2. I'm jealous!

XYpal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
Thanks for warm welcome everybody. I was just able to pair Air2 with Apple Wireless Keyboard and this is nice combo for my needs. I’m not interested in laptops any more, too bulky to carry. IPad perfectly fits in my little Camel back pack which I carry with me most of the time and I will not stand out when I travel. Extra Apple keyboard allows comfortable writing for longer time but I can do this at home. I want to buy 5K IMac but the next version. I’ve seen 5Kmac in the Apple store today and I was bugged-eye for long time. I did not see such quality of pics in my life before. The Windows will have difficult job to catch up. Definitely a lot of money will go under my mattress for this purchase.
I have to report that all following services, which I use a lot, are perfectly smooth on Air2 (vs choppy on my Windows 8):
Netlix -
Amazon Instant Video – I just finished “The Bridge” this show is on par with “Breaking Bad”
DishWorld – a lot of sports here, including my favorite which is skiing, I ski a lot during the winter
Youtube – very smooth, no more stopping and downloading or desynchronized sound with pic.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Thanks for warm welcome everybody. I was just able to pair Air2 with Apple Wireless Keyboard and this is nice combo for my needs. I’m not interested in laptops any more, too bulky to carry. IPad perfectly fits in my little Camel back pack which I carry with me most of the time and I will not stand out when I travel. Extra Apple keyboard allows comfortable writing for longer time but I can do this at home. I want to buy 5K IMac but the next version. I’ve seen 5Kmac in the Apple store today and I was bugged-eye for long time. I did not see such quality of pics in my life before. The Windows will have difficult job to catch up. Definitely a lot of money will go under my mattress for this purchase.
I have to report that all following services, which I use a lot, are perfectly smooth on Air2 (vs choppy on my Windows 8):
Netlix -
Amazon Instant Video – I just finished “The Bridge” this show is on par with “Breaking Bad”
DishWorld – a lot of sports here, including my favorite which is skiing, I ski a lot during the winter
Youtube – very smooth, no more stopping and downloading or desynchronized sound with pic.

I'm using Logitech's Ultrathin Keyboard cover for my Air 1. It works great and has battery life lasting a few months (rechargeable by USB cable).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Congrats and enjoy your new baby. The tablet is definitely the nicest one out there at the moment :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.