Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Not really sure how to explain this, but at iCloud.com and Safari on my iPhone (links from my Air), my Macbook Air gets a nr "(2") at the end of it for some reason? How do I remove this? I'm not sure, but think it happened after I installed Yosemite. I only have one Air so it's not like I'm having two with the same name.

Anyone have any ideas?

aqDUaSn.png

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The linked thread explains it perfectly. My iMac is currently "iMac (12)".

What's funny is that the hostname is only iMac-9.local, so the hostname doesn't increment as often as the "display name"... Every few weeks, I get tired of it and reset it back to just-plain "iMac" But it invariably starts incrementing a few days later.

(Note, my computer is not actually "iMac", I'm just using that to be generic.)

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland

The linked thread explains it perfectly. My iMac is currently "iMac (12)".

What's funny is that the hostname is only iMac-9.local, so the hostname doesn't increment as often as the "display name"... Every few weeks, I get tired of it and reset it back to just-plain "iMac" But it invariably starts incrementing a few days later.

(Note, my computer is not actually "iMac", I'm just using that to be generic.)

Thanks! Well I just changed the name in preferences -> sharing, but I'm not sure how long that's going to last.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.