Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:23 PM   #1
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601
 
Chaszmyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
New iMacs

I have various reasons to think an iMac update might come tomorrow(Tuesday the 21th).... I have no real proof and no really strong support... But if it happens, just remember you heard it here first :-P

(EDIT: i fixed the date... sorry about that typo)

Last edited by Chaszmyr; Jan 20, 2003 at 11:48 PM.
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:25 PM   #2
AWishForNoOne
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Send a message via AIM to AWishForNoOne
i'm hoping for it. it would give me incentive to buy one sooner. but i don't think it'll be anythign too big. unless i'm wrong.
AWishForNoOne is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:25 PM   #3
Shrek
Banned
 
Shrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville, Tennessee USA
Send a message via AIM to Shrek
Um, tomorrow is the 21st.
Shrek is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:27 PM   #4
Over Achiever
macrumors 68000
 
Over Achiever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
Send a message via AIM to Over Achiever Send a message via Yahoo to Over Achiever Send a message via Skype™ to Over Achiever
Are your "reasons" hunchs, friends telling you, or an educated guess?

Just wondering...
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."
Panasonic Lumix GF1 11" MBA | Dell XT Google Nexus One
Over Achiever is offline   0
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:49 PM   #5
Chaszmyr
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Chaszmyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Over Achiever
Are your "reasons" hunchs, friends telling you, or an educated guess?

Just wondering...
Its an educated guess... but I am thinking in my head its about a 50% chance, based on the information I have available.
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:28 AM   #6
morlium
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
There's ALWAYS a 50% chance of Apple releasing an iMac upgrade ...
__________________
Check out my latest work.

Last edited by morlium; Jan 21, 2003 at 08:45 AM.
morlium is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 01:48 AM   #7
Chaszmyr
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Chaszmyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Mm no. Apple releases about 3 iMac upgrades a year. Thats less than a 1% chance :-P
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 02:51 AM   #8
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: iowa
Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
probability is weird, i think morlium is correct tho, there's a 50% chance - either they will, or they won't. the chances of it happening tomorrow over any other day of the year are less than 1%, but the chances of it happening tomorrow are 50/50.

i think. is there a mathematician in the house?

at any rate, it's a little weird to have a hunch worthy of publishing on the web... but you can hope, right? then you'll look like a genius...


pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 03:57 AM   #9
Chaszmyr
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Chaszmyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Just because there are 2 and only 2 options doesnt mean its a 50% chance.
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 06:14 AM   #10
springscansing
Banned
 
springscansing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: New York
Jesus, at 3 updates a year, there's a 0.82% chance of a new iMac each day, not taking into account specific days more or less prone to introductions (macworlds, etc). Average of .82%.
springscansing is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 07:12 AM   #11
mpest
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by paulwhannel
probability is weird, i think morlium is correct tho, there's a 50% chance - either they will, or they won't. the chances of it happening tomorrow over any other day of the year are less than 1%, but the chances of it happening tomorrow are 50/50.

i think. is there a mathematician in the house?


pnw
you're definitely correct probability wise, well stated
mpest is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 07:34 AM   #12
Chaszmyr
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Chaszmyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by mpest


you're definitely correct probability wise, well stated
Thatd be true if we were flipping a coin (for example, if you flip a coin and it lands on heads 10 times in a row, on the 11th flip there is still a 50/50 chance, even though if you were to initially determine the probability of heads 11 times in a row it would be a very low chance)... but this isnt like flipping a coin, there are other factors involved.
Chaszmyr is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 09:02 AM   #13
FlamDrag
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Western Hemisphere
So you're saying that SJ doesn't wake up every morning and flip a coin to see if they update new hardware?

I'll prefer to think that he does and hope for a new hardware announcement 50/50 every day.



Why else to people read sites like this if on some level they didn't somehow hope and pray that something new and great would have a 50% chance of debuting "tomorrow."
FlamDrag is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 09:26 AM   #14
Le Big Mac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Probabilities

Each day we go without updates to iMacs increase the chances that new ones will be introduced the next day (Sunday excepted, except for maybe SUper bowl sunday). But once they're introduced, the chances of more updates drops to 0% for some time.

All we can say is that there's probably a 90% chance of updates by the end of Feb., and 80% chance of updates by the middle of Feb., a 50% chance of updates by the end of Jan., and maybe a 25% chance of updates today (and 25% next week). (All %'s approximate)

Nothing is for sure, except that lots of people don't understand probabilities (myself included).
Le Big Mac is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:12 AM   #15
robbents99
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Directly under the sun....now.
Send a message via ICQ to robbents99 Send a message via AIM to robbents99
Dreamin of a new imac....everybody sing!

Personally I'd aim for the 25th when Ilife debuts. I used my friends 17" 800 imac and was sold on it immediately, just waiting for the speedbump....

Anyone know if Apple is having a Super Bowl Commericial?
__________________
Bentley--
Bentley's Blog, Lili Deacon Webcomic
Rev B 15" PBook "Portable Mayhem II"
robbents99 is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 03:09 PM   #16
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604
 
MacsRgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Wouldn't it be great:
iLife,
OS X 10.2.4,
e/iMac to 1 GHz
Radeon 9700... all shown in a really cool Super Bowl ad?
Not that we would see any of it over here in Europe
__________________
Steve Jobs. 1955 - 2011. My Hero.
MacsRgr8 is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 03:17 PM   #17
SwitchHitter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
I hope tomorrow is right... if it is, i'm out to pick one up.

That being said... it was supposed to be in SF, on the 7th, but we know that didn'thappen.

SURELY, there must be someone from Apple that monitors these sites and can let us in on the secret.. It can't be all that secret, i.e. PR people would know, marketing people would know, Web people would know, developers would know, etc. etc. etc.

If one of them COULD just come back and say there is an update coming - that's what I'm waiting for. I don't care if it's tomorrow or end of Feb as long as I know an update is coming. Otherwise, I won't want to switch.. I've been patiently waiting for almost 3 months now to buy.


tap tap tap. apple are you listening?
SwitchHitter is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 03:19 PM   #18
Over Achiever
macrumors 68000
 
Over Achiever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
Send a message via AIM to Over Achiever Send a message via Yahoo to Over Achiever Send a message via Skype™ to Over Achiever
As for a superbowl ad...i think apple will show the "Big and Small" powerbook ad with Yao Ming and "mini-me"...it was shown in the NFC/AFC championship games.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."
Panasonic Lumix GF1 11" MBA | Dell XT Google Nexus One
Over Achiever is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 03:41 PM   #19
Chomolungma
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chaszmyr


Thatd be true if we were flipping a coin (for example, if you flip a coin and it lands on heads 10 times in a row, on the 11th flip there is still a 50/50 chance, even though if you were to initially determine the probability of heads 11 times in a row it would be a very low chance)... but this isnt like flipping a coin, there are other factors involved.
probably not a fair coin

a fair coin (probability of getting 10 heads in a row is 1 in 1024)
__________________
Be cautious of those who proclaim the truth, for they are the least likely to have it.
Chomolungma is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2003, 06:20 PM   #20
AWishForNoOne
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Send a message via AIM to AWishForNoOne
SURELY, there must be someone from Apple that monitors these sites and can let us in on the secret.. It can't be all that secret, i.e. PR people would know, marketing people would know, Web people would know, developers would know, etc. etc. etc.

... steve jobs has cracked down crazy style on the leaks.
AWishForNoOne is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2003, 10:06 AM   #21
SwitchHitter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
I was reading a message thread on thinksecret about new iMacs there, and one posting said that Apple is NOT going to update the iMacs, and instead focus on the laptops - and that this is the death kneal for the desktops...

Any thoughts on that?
SwitchHitter is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2003, 10:31 AM   #22
will
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
I disagree, Apple are certain to update the iMacs before end of Feb. They can bump the speed, introduce new screens and incorporate features such as bluetooth, 802.11g. Remember Steve said he expects laptop sales to be 35% (yes thirty five percent) of Apple sales this year. If Apple don't update their desktops then where do you suppose the other 65% will come from?

Last edited by will; Jan 22, 2003 at 11:29 AM.
will is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:10 AM   #23
iwantanewmac
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Quote:
Originally posted by paulwhannel
probability is weird, i think morlium is correct tho, there's a 50% chance - either they will, or they won't. the chances of it happening tomorrow over any other day of the year are less than 1%, but the chances of it happening tomorrow are 50/50.

pnw
yeah....lol like winning the lottery? You win it or you won't!!! a 50% chance hahaha good 1.
iwantanewmac is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:24 AM   #24
Shrek
Banned
 
Shrek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville, Tennessee USA
Send a message via AIM to Shrek
Thumbs down

01-22-03 and no new iMacs. This thread is going to get closed.
Shrek is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:29 AM   #25
Chaszmyr
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
Chaszmyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bleh so I was wrong... I am as disappointed as you are lol. I am still hoping for an iMac update soon though...
Chaszmyr is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are video cards from 20" 2007 iMacs campatible with 24" 2008 iMacs gbuyer iMac 7 Oct 7, 2014 06:45 PM
New Plus old iMacs martosprint OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 0 Feb 11, 2013 05:54 PM
Are the new iMacs HD? ihatephish iMac 5 Dec 1, 2012 11:24 PM
Where are the iMacs? edry.hilario iMac 393 Nov 24, 2012 06:11 PM
New To iMacs and What Do I Have? DeMarco61 PowerPC Macs 3 Aug 25, 2012 12:53 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC