Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
never used it before but check here for some top tips

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020424233612407

:)

or some more googling came up with this :

Playing .ogm and .mkv files

These two containers are probably a bit of a mystery to most regular users. Unlike .mov, .rm and .wmv they are not associated with a particular player. The reason for this is that, like .avi, Ogg Media and Matroska are containers for video and audio streams. As containers they have all kinds of features - the Ogg Media container was developed to find a suitable container for using the very popular ogg audio format with video streams (something that .avi will never be able to fully support). The mkv format was developed from scratch to try and accommodate many advanced features and more video and audio formats than any other container to date.

To play files with these containers you will need to use MPlayerOSX or VLC which both support these containers. It is possible, however, that you may find it difficult to decode *some* .mkvs with these players because Matroska can actually be used for storing closed proprietary codecs like Real Video.

from

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/playback/playosx.html#ogm

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
now all it needs is ipod support, and attention.

well, on second thought, why do we really need another format? we wouldn't be saving that much disk space.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
virus1 said:
now all it needs is ipod support, and attention.

well, on second thought, why do we really need another format? we wouldn't be saving that much disk space.

Agreed and i have to say h.264 is simply amazing format in terms of file size to quality ratio. In many ways it seems better then all those .avi files divx and xvid and the like. Only problem is it takes more or less forever to encode stuff with it unless you have a top of the line machine.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Playing and converting OGG files with QuickTime

Yes, why DO we need another format? Apple could have used OGG and FLAC (lossless) rather than making their own DRM-protection on AAC and developing their own Apple Lossless format. But still, that's what lock-in is all about. Microsoft does it with office formats, Apple does it with audio and video formats.

As to the original question about converting OGG to another format, you can check out the QuickTime OGG Vorbis component at http://qtcomponents.sourceforge.net/ (a bit out of date and only supporting QuickTime 6.0.2 or there's a newer version at http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/) but if you have QuickTime 6 Pro you should be able to then convert the file to another QuickTime supported format or maybe (maybe!) load the OGG into iMovie and save it out as another format.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
well, thanks to the links to those quicktime components, I can now import my .OGM video files into QT, but all I get is the audio.

So, I'm halfway there.

This is tough. I just want to convert these .OGM video's into .AVI's so I can burn them as DVD discs in Toast, iDVD ect..

I've been struggling with this for months now with no results. I've tried, FFmpegX, a command line tool, Compressor, iDVD, iMovie, and now these plug in components.

Ugh.

Thanks for your tips. :eek:

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
quigleybc said:
well, thanks to the links to those quicktime components, I can now import my .OGM video files into QT, but all I get is the audio.

So, I'm halfway there.

This is tough. I just want to convert these .OGM video's into .AVI's so I can burn them as DVD discs in Toast, iDVD ect..

I've been struggling with this for months now with no results. I've tried, FFmpegX, a command line tool, Compressor, iDVD, iMovie, and now these plug in components.

Ugh.

Thanks for your tips. :eek:
Wow do FFmpegX didn't work for you i have never thrown a format at the program that it wasn't able to convert. Then again i have never used ogg video files in my life so eh.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
freiheit said:
Yes, why DO we need another format? Apple could have used OGG and FLAC (lossless) rather than making their own DRM-protection on AAC and developing their own Apple Lossless format. But still, that's what lock-in is all about. Microsoft does it with office formats, Apple does it with audio and video formats.
Now, now first of all i dont think apple really has much choice with having to come up with a drm scheme the record companies never would have let apple sell the music with out it. And the acc format is not one apple them selves developed its industry wide accepted standard format (mpeg 4). Sure apple lossless i suppose we could have done with out. BTW im not at all familiar with the ogg format how dose it compare file size to apple lossless. Do wish tho itunes would just support all of the formats out there with exception of wma, what an awful format.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
To the above poster,

No FFmpegX spits the OGG video back out in disgust.....

and How does Ogg compare?

I don't know, for right now I think it sucks because there seems to be NO WAY to convert back out of it.

There are 1 or 2 apps for windows that are supposed to work, but I'm obviously not on a windows box. I did try the app (Virtual Dub) in Virtual PC with no results, crashed right away.....

It would seem that I need to split the audio and video into two streams, and then bring them back together.....

Basically, I'm gonna say F this, and forget about it....

but, I've been trying for so long, I won't decline any suggestions.

thanks.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Checkout the source of al thing theora related.

quigleybc said:
Is there any kind of commercial or free app that can convert a .ogg or .ogm video to a quicktime readable format?

Or is there a codec for quicktime that will allow .ogg or .ogm video to play and save in quicktime?

Both ogg and quicktime are "containers" that can contain audio and video that is encoded using any of several codecs. If you have video data inside an ogg container file it is most likely encoded using the "theora" codec and the audio is likery "vorbis" The place to look for software that can read ogg/theora is at "www.theora.org" look at "ffmpeg2theora" the latest version wil read ogg/theora. You will find other software there to

What's the deal with "ogg" and why do we need it? t's about the only truely free set of file formats. others all seem to be either owned my some company or use patented technology. ogg is free both as in "free bear" and "free speech". Not much else is.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Have you tried VLC?

It can open OGG files, and can export in to a variety of formats...

(Unfortunately, I can't find any OGG video files in a quick search, so I can't test it properly right now, but it did take an H.264 and export it into MPEG-1.)

P.S. Thanks! I just discovered that it can also de-multiplex 'transport stream' MPEG-1 files! (Such as the kind Sony digital still cameras produce, that iMovie can't use, and QuickTime Pro thinks have no audio track when exporting.)

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
ehurtley said:
Have you tried VLC?

It can open OGG files, and can export in to a variety of formats...

How do you export from VLC ???? I had no idea it could do that.....if you solved my issue with something that simple...I will feel very stupid...*runs off to test theory..*

^^ Ok I tried it, and I still have no clue how to export in VLC.....:^^

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
quigleybc said:
How do you export from VLC ???? I had no idea it could do that.....if you solved my issue with something that simple...I will feel very stupid...*runs off to test theory..*

^^ Ok I tried it, and I still have no clue how to export in VLC.....:^^

It's well hidden.... (It's not really meant to transcode one format to another, they even warn you that's not what it's meant for, but it works.)

Open your ogg file in VLC
File -> Streaming/Exporting Wizard (Command Shift W)
Select 'Transcode/Save to File', click 'Next'
Select 'Existing playlist item', and select your open file from the list. (Technically, you could choose 'Select a stream, then use the 'Choose' button to select a file that isn't already open if you felt like it,) then click Next
Check off both 'Transcode Video' and 'Transcode Audio', and select your output formats and bitrates. (Yeah, it's kind of limited, but it does have Toast supported MPEG-1 or MPEG-4 in there.) Click Next
Choose an 'Encapsulation format' (it should pick one by default that is appropriate for the output formats you selected, but double check to be sure. Click next.
Click 'Choose' to select a folder to output to and type in a name, click next.
Confirm the settings. Click Finish.
Wait for your file to transcode itself.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
ehurtley said:
It's well hidden.... (It's not really meant to transcode one format to another, they even warn you that's not what it's meant for, but it works.)

Open your ogg file in VLC
File -> Streaming/Exporting Wizard (Command Shift W)
Select 'Transcode/Save to File', click 'Next'
Select 'Existing playlist item', and select your open file from the list. (Technically, you could choose 'Select a stream, then use the 'Choose' button to select a file that isn't already open if you felt like it,) then click Next
Check off both 'Transcode Video' and 'Transcode Audio', and select your output formats and bitrates. (Yeah, it's kind of limited, but it does have Toast supported MPEG-1 or MPEG-4 in there.) Click Next
Choose an 'Encapsulation format' (it should pick one by default that is appropriate for the output formats you selected, but double check to be sure. Click next.
Click 'Choose' to select a folder to output to and type in a name, click next.
Confirm the settings. Click Finish.
Wait for your file to transcode itself.

thanks for the reply, I am going to try that as soon as I get home from work.

If this works you're my hero...:D

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
quigleybc said:
Will do.

Many thanks :)

^^yup, now I see it..^^

heh, sorry about that. When I got the new Mac, I had to redownload it, so it didn't even dawn on me that it was a new feature. (Heck, I honestly wasn't sure if VLC could do it, I just decided to open it up and see if it had an export function... I suppose it was pure luck that I happened to be doing it on the latest version.)

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
ehurtley said:
heh, sorry about that. When I got the new Mac, I had to redownload it, so it didn't even dawn on me that it was a new feature. (Heck, I honestly wasn't sure if VLC could do it, I just decided to open it up and see if it had an export function... I suppose it was pure luck that I happened to be doing it on the latest version.)

Thanks a lot for the tip..but I still am struggling with these stupid ogg video's...they are in .OGM container....

I followed all the steps but I get a lot of error messages from VLC. Either I get a video with sound and no picture, or I get a non usuable video. I tried multiple combinations of transcodes and encapsulations...but no luck...man..these .OGM's are a beee otch!!

Thanks for your tip though...maybe there is a winning combination that I have yet to find....

I've been trying for about four months now, so I'm used to going back to the drawing board.

cheers.
:eek:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
It's not the most elegant solution, but if you can play the videos then Snapz Pro X would do the job.

Evergreen

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2001
I ran into the same problem tonight, and solved it thanks to this thread.

VLC 0.8.4:
-File menu: Streaming/Export Wizard
__Save to file
__Select file
__Transcode video: MPEG-1, bitrate as desired
__Transcode audio: MPEG Audio, bitrate as desired
__Encapsulation format: MPEG 1
__Export file

ffmpegX 0.0.9v:
-Drag exported mpg from VLC to the ffmpeg window
-encode as desired

:D

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
http://www.objectifmac.com/dvision.php

I thought I could help some more. Sadly, I don't have any .ogm files on hand.

Features

D-Vision is composed of two different parts. The first part, which is the one available by default when launching the software, is made for:

encoding DVD movies in Divx, Xvid or h264.
extract sound of a DVD in MP3 or AC3.

The second part of D-Vision is composed of some tools which allow you to:

encode AVI and MPG files in Divx, Xvid or h264
cut AVI files
merge AVI or VOB files
encode audio file in MP3 or AC3
modify fourcc code of an AVI file
embed subtitles from a SRT file on a movie (MPG or AVI)
demux OGM files

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
you guys rock for your helpful replys !

I'm gonna try those settings right now

Thanks again :)

I just tried D-Vision 3 and it successfully demux the .OGM file and split it into separate audio ogg and video avi files.

YES!!

and then I Mux them in FFmpeg X and got a useable avi to work in Quicktime

NICE!!

the video is really wobbly for lack of a better term.

kind of leaves trails and what not. But that only occurs in Quicktime, Mplayer X and VLC play it fine. Burning to DVD with toast now.

MANY THANKS!

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.