Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Straight from the horse's mouth:

Dear Florian,

Thank you for contacting Nik by Google.

The Nik Collection is not currently compatible with the newly release OS X Yosemite 10.10. Please continue to check back with the compatibility section of the help center to find when is compatible here: https://support.google.com/nikcollection/answer/3000889?hl=en&ref_topic=3000839

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email or visit support.google.com/nikcollection to call our Customer Service Department Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm PST.

Best Regards,
Marcello

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
I was looking at using NIK software when it sold to the big G.

All I had to say was "I'm Out"

Dale

Yes, it seems Google and Apple sometimes don't play nice. I had some of the NIK software BEFORE the buy out/take over and automatically inherited the complete package free of charge

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I am glad that during this year i have used Perfect Photo Suite more...and Nik less. I thought the Google takeover would not end well.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
I am glad that during this year i have used Perfect Photo Suite more...and Nik less. I thought the Google takeover would not end well.

Michael, Have you tried PPS with Aperture and Yosemite? Or are you like me and are waiting for the first Apple upgrade to Yosemite. PPS does have some very comparable options to NIK and they just came out with a B&W alternative to Silver Effects Pro. I think the pressure as more and more people go with Yosemite and with alternatives like PPS will push Google to play nice, but who knows.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I use LR with PPS on Yosemite with no problem. I have Aperture and am waiting to see Photos. I hope Photos is good enough to leave LR.

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks for this. Was thinking of getting Yosemite, glad I didn't, this would've pissed me right off. I'll wait till it works. Glad I noticed this post.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The people behind Nik have launched a new range of software called Macphun. I have both Nik and Macphun and find I like both for different things.
The standard versions are on the App Store or you can buy the pro version from them. Tonality Pro is their B&W equivalent of Silver Effects Pro.
Sadly Google bought Nik just for Snapseed, which is why the development died a death.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks for the heads up fcortese! I was mulling upgrading to Yosemite the other day but now I will wait. I've been using Ap and Nik for quite a while and am happy with both. I was not happy with the Google buy out but I was using NIK before so I stayed with it. I probably use Dfine and Viveza the most. It does seem that the news and development on NIK has slowed down tremendously though.

I guess this isn't good news for my overall workflow. I've never heard of Macphun. So these are the original NIK folks? I can't open the site at work so I'll check it out later. Is it stand alone software or plugins?

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
Is this just the stand alone. I have just tried the plug in and PS and it worked fine?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks for the heads up fcortese! I was mulling upgrading to Yosemite the other day but now I will wait. I've been using Ap and Nik for quite a while and am happy with both. I was not happy with the Google buy out but I was using NIK before so I stayed with it. I probably use Dfine and Viveza the most. It does seem that the news and development on NIK has slowed down tremendously though.

I guess this isn't good news for my overall workflow. I've never heard of Macphun. So these are the original NIK folks? I can't open the site at work so I'll check it out later. Is it stand alone software or plugins?

Depends if you get the pro or standard version. Both are pretty cheap though, so might as well go pro IMO. That's the version I have.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Depends if you get the pro or standard version. Both are pretty cheap though, so might as well go pro IMO. That's the version I have.

Agreed on the Pro version. I'm still confused and I may have missed it on their site. Are the Pro versions available as a plug in for Ap / LR or are they stand alone?

I'm so hooked on not having to save files when going from Ap to Nik.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Agreed on the Pro version. I'm still confused and I may have missed it on their site. Are the Pro versions available as a plug in for Ap / LR or are they stand alone?

Standalone or plug in for LR. I don't have AP, so I'd guess the same.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have the NIK plug-in for LR and it works perfectly fine on Yosemite without any issues.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I have Aperture 3.6 on a 2006 Mac Pro 1.1 running Yosemite.

After installing Yosemite using the info found here on MacRumors, one of the first things I tested was the Aperture update with Nik plugins. They all work well.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country

Standalone or plug in for LR. I don't have AP, so I'd guess the same.

I have the NIK plug-in for LR and it works perfectly fine on Yosemite without any issues.

Nik will work with all of Adobe's products, PS, Lr, and Elements via Yosemite but NOT Aperture as yet. All of Nik's Pro line will work as stand alones but you will have to import either a JPEG or TIFF file. They do not handle RAW directly, only through a program like Ap or Lr. I received a f/u email from them this morning confirming this. It did state that they are working on being compatible with Yosemite but gave no time line. Also if you go on their site, they do state that they are also working on using extensibility with Photos when it comes out in early 2015, but again no further specifics. So the bottom line is that if you want to use Nik via Aperture it is a no go for now and you will need to work around it.

Macphun Team

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
San Diego

Hey there, not exactly.
Few people from NIK (from Germany and USA) joined the Macphun Team in 2012-2013, but Macphun itself has been around since 2008. Check the Photography category in USA App Store (or other countries) - you'll find 4 or more of our apps among TOP 10 everytime. :apple:

Cheers,
Alex

----------

Nik will work with all of Adobe's products, PS, Lr, and Elements via Yosemite but NOT Aperture as yet. All of Nik's Pro line will work as stand alones but you will have to import either a JPEG or TIFF file. They do not handle RAW directly, only through a program like Ap or Lr.

Hey Florian, just in case you decide to check Macphun apps (or there are some that you're still missing), email me at alex(at)macphun(dot)com. I am sure Intensify and Tonality will work for you very well, and they all native RAW processor (plus work as plug-ins). Talk soon.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
----------

[/COLOR]

Hey Florian, just in case you decide to check Macphun apps (or there are some that you're still missing), email me at alex(at)macphun(dot)com. I am sure Intensify and Tonality will work for you very well, and they all native RAW processor (plus work as plug-ins). Talk soon.

Actually I have Focus 2 Pro and Intensify Pro. I have not yet upgraded to Yosemite but I plan on getting a new MBP within the next 7-10 days so I'll be forced to dive in. I just heard from a member on a different blog that Nik does work with Aperture 3.6 and Yosemite on his computer even though Google is still showing non-comparability with OS X 10.10. Which is interesting. Anyone else out there experience that? I may need to peak at Tonality, Alex.

Macphun Team

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
San Diego
Actually I have Focus 2 Pro and Intensify Pro. I have not yet upgraded to Yosemite but I plan on getting a new MBP within the next 7-10 days so I'll be forced to dive in. I just heard from a member on a different blog that Nik does work with Aperture 3.6 and Yosemite on his computer even though Google is still showing non-comparability with OS X 10.10. Which is interesting. Anyone else out there experience that? I may need to peak at Tonality, Alex.

Email me when you have time.
Cheers

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
A definite +1 on the MacPhun stuff. Honestly, I got some of there software in a bundle or something a long time ago and rarely used it. But then I had occasion recently to try some again, and I was VERY impressed. So I ran out and got Tonality Pro, and now I use it instead of Silver Efex.

They have downloadable versions of the Pro stuff, good customer support, and are bringing forth more and more tools (presets by pro photographers; you can buy (and presumably get MacPhun to) sell). All in all, way more high-end and pro oriented than at least what I assumed in the past. The layers thing in Tonality Pro is killer.

Check them out. They're giving away Focus right now.

Macphun Team

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
San Diego
A definite +1 on the MacPhun stuff. Honestly, I got some of there software in a bundle or something a long time ago and rarely used it. But then I had occasion recently to try some again, and I was VERY impressed. So I ran out and got Tonality Pro, and now I use it instead of Silver Efex.

They have downloadable versions of the Pro stuff, good customer support, and are bringing forth more and more tools (presets by pro photographers; you can buy (and presumably get MacPhun to) sell). All in all, way more high-end and pro oriented than at least what I assumed in the past. The layers thing in Tonality Pro is killer.

Check them out. They're giving away Focus right now.

Thanks Rob!

On a side note guys, how does someone gets a profile pic?

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010

not tried with aperture but NIK working fine here on new rMBP on Yosemite, have tried standalone, LR plugin and PS plugin..

..not tired everything on everything but not run into any issues so far

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
not tried with aperture but NIK working fine here on new rMBP on Yosemite, have tried standalone, LR plugin and PS plugin..

..not tired everything on everything but not run into any issues so far

I just yesterday was in communication with someone who has been successfully using Aperture and Nik as a plugin on his rMBP but is running one of the Yosemite beta programs. So it appears that Yosemite should be able to handle it despite Google still posting that Nik Collection is compatible only up to OSX 10.9. I should be ordering my new computer by this weekend or early next week and once it gets here that'll be one of the first things I'll cheek out. On a different item, I have seen some posts on another blog site that some people are noticing that when they upload their photos to Aperture 3.6 that some of them do not load and they are left with a black space. I'm not sure if that is a camera specific problem or not. I guess we'll all have to see how this all plays out over the next few weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.