Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tzerlag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
I'm baaaaack
On my iPhone 6, around the headphone jack, toward the backside of the phone there appears to be a notch in the metal edge.

I can't tell if it's a chip or "supposed to be like that". Mainly because I can't see it well enough and can't find a decent magnifying lens to look through.

Anyone have something similar? If not, maybe I'll be swapping it for a new one ASAP.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 147

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Definitely a defect or damage of some sort. I don't have this on my own iPhone 6, and haven't seen it on any others.

Tzerlag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
I'm baaaaack
Definitely a defect or damage of some sort. I don't have this on my own iPhone 6, and haven't seen it on any others.

Thanks, it seemed wrong.

Is that how it came out of the box?

I think so but I'm not sure, to be honest. I haven't used headphones with it yet nor have I dropped it or even been rough with it.

I just noticed it a few minutes ago. I took the photo to try to get a better look.

Made a Genius Bar appointment. I'll see what they say....

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
How long ago did you get it?

I've had good and bad experiences. I took my old phone in one day because of the paint chipping around the edges despite being in a case since day one and got the "too bad, it's cosmetic" response, whereas a friend of mind had the same thing and got it replaced on the spot.

Hopefully it works in your favour, good luck!

Tzerlag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
I'm baaaaack
How long ago did you get it?

I've had good and bad experiences. I took my old phone in one day because of the paint chipping around the edges despite being in a case since day one and got the "too bad, it's cosmetic" response, whereas a friend of mind had the same thing and got it replaced on the spot.

Hopefully it works in your favour, good luck!

Thanks!
I got it day one, September 19.
I'll report back after my Genius Bar appointment Saturday.

Seems like a defect but if they say "too bad" I won't be heartbroken... :cool:

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Considering it's cosmetic damage that you noticed over a month after you received your phone, I'm not so confident they will replace it. Depends on the person you get though.

CoyoteRidge

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
At least it's not bent. Not yet. Apple really did a great job with the iPhone 6 Series. Any iSheep would agree with that.

Mr Hands

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2014
I've got a similar 'chip' on mine on the edge of the headphone jack hole closest to the microphone. It's tiny. I'm not worried about it. Battle wounds happen, and at least with little things like this it lets me know I'm getting good use out of the thing. :)

Tzerlag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
I'm baaaaack
I'm happy to report that the Apple store genius who looked at my phone thought the imperfection was not in fact a dent. But seemed to be a defect around the opening for the jack.

So they replaced it with a new iPhone.

They wrote it up as a Flate Rate Repair $299 but with customer charge $0.

I'm pretty happy about that.

Thanks for all your input and comments.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I'm happy to report that the Apple store genius who looked at my phone thought the imperfection was not in fact a dent. But seemed to be a defect around the opening for the jack.

Awesome. Great outcome. I'm a little surprised you even noticed the blemish, so it's cool of Apple to replace the whole phone over it.

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Awesome to hear! Now let's hope the new one won't have a dead pixel or dust inside the glass or something else :p ignorance is bliss!

dL

justindavis098

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2014
People need to stop looking for imperfection. We live in a world full of dust, scratches, and etc. how in the world did you even notice that lol?

Tzerlag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2014
I'm baaaaack
People need to stop looking for imperfection. We live in a world full of dust, scratches, and etc. how in the world did you even notice that lol?

Not hard to spot a ding on your phone

I don't know why it caught my eye. It is rather tiny. The photo I posted doesn't do it justice. I had a hard time getting the autofocus to pick up the edge of the phone.

Here's another photo, you can kind of see how the raggedness extends around the insert for the jack. It was more obvious in real life.

And under a magnifying glass it was apparent that it wasn't a dent. Like I said, my best guess is a ratty drill bit may have caused it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 58

enzo thecat

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Midwest USA

Holy hell. No wonder Apple products are so expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.