Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LibbyC!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
My 2012 desktop Mac took hours to download Yosemite and I left it to go to sleep. Then in the middle of the night it asked to continue for installation and then I went to sleep. Now this morning it is frozen at about a quarter of the bar under the apple icon. What should I do?:(

KLinPA

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
PA
I just went throught this with a friend. First, I hope you have a backup - not because these steps will erase anything- but because it's always important to do especially before an OSX upgrade.

-Force the computer to shut down by holding the power button.
-Start up in Internet Recovery: Power on, press and hold Command +Option +R
It will load into OS X Utilieies, choose a language if asked
-Use Disk Utility to repair the hard drive: open Disk Utility and select Macintosh HD on the left side. Under the white box on the right choose Repair Disk.
The majority of the time Disk Utility doesn't find anything :) but you'll know the hard drive is ok.
Once complete and if there are no issues, restart the computer normally.
-Use the Apple menu and select restart.
-Once the computer starts up it should continue the installation.

Just in case...
If Disk Utility gives an errors in red. Follow the recommended action on the screen. Worst case scenario (Not expected) : If it says "can not be repaired, back up and erase and install" this action will delete everything on the computer. Report back for advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.