Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Hi guys,

Looking for a cheap pair of Bluetooth headphones I can use for the gym and would appreciate some pointers. Not had much luck finding one so far. The only ones I can see are very cheap, but super flimsy :|

Must be under £10-15 as it's not going to be used for anything else apart from the gym.

Not too fussed on audio quality but it must not be oversized nor bright and ugly.

Thanks ;)

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Hi guys,

Looking for a cheap pair of Bluetooth headphones I can use for the gym and would appreciate some pointers. Not had much luck finding one so far. The only ones I can see are very cheap, but super flimsy :|

Must be under £10-15 as it's not going to be used for anything else apart from the gym.

Not too fussed on audio quality but it must not be oversized nor bright and ugly.

Thanks ;)

These are what I use. They aren't as big as they look, and after a few minutes, you forget they are there. They are also pretty water-resistant, as I've been stuck running in heavy rain before and just kept using them.

Kinivo BTH240 Bluetooth Stereo Headphone - Supports Wireless Music Streaming and Hands-Free calling (Black) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWIPITS/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_qIssub0VA0XW5

rayricepudding

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Bluebuds X: Not Cheap, but freaking awesome

Obviously, the Jaybird Bluebuds X don't meet your price point (retail for $170, Amazon under $140), but I've had these things for a year, and I'm hard pressed to think of a purchase I've been happier with. The sound quality, while not a focus of yours, is amazing (I used to used Klipsch S4i earbuds for a few years and find them comparable), as is the build quality, ease of use and perhaps most importantly, comfort. I use comply t-500 earphone tips, and they are actually more secure in my ears than the S4i earbuds ever were! I run in them, work out in them, and use them as my all-purpose earbuds in my daily commute and travel (I travel every weekend). They have a microphone built in, and since I almost always have them, I no longer need a bluetooth headset for the car.

Yes, $140 is pricy, but Best Buy will match the price and you can get a two year replacement warranty for $10 (I believe). Earbuds are one of the few items worth getting an extended warranty for, at least in my experience. My guess is you'd tear through the cheap ones quickly. So that considered, and the fact that the Bluebuds replace the need for any other headphones or a bluetooth headset, it may be worth considering.

For what it's worth, I used to sell pro-audio equipment, so I'm familiar with high-quality earbuds and headphones - I was very skeptical that bluetooth earbuds could be this good, but they really are!

My only two complaints are that the microphone doesn't have good noise cancellation, so in noisy places you're better off just talking on the iPhone itself, and that the firmware can't be updated - would be nice to be able to customize the buttons on the remote.

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
Obviously, the Jaybird Bluebuds X don't meet your price point (retail for $170, Amazon under $140), but I've had these things for a year, and I'm hard pressed to think of a purchase I've been happier with. The sound quality, while not a focus of yours, is amazing (I used to used Klipsch S4i earbuds for a few years and find them comparable), as is the build quality, ease of use and perhaps most importantly, comfort. I use comply t-500 earphone tips, and they are actually more secure in my ears than the S4i earbuds ever were! I run in them, work out in them, and use them as my all-purpose earbuds in my daily commute and travel (I travel every weekend). They have a microphone built in, and since I almost always have them, I no longer need a bluetooth headset for the car.

I will also vouch for the BlueBuds X....I have been using them for 3 weeks and the sound quality is amazing. The price is up there, but as mentioned, Best Buy price matches and for $10 it's worth it to cover any headphones for 2 years. I tried out the Plantronics Backbeat Go 2 first, they have a really nice charging case that is supposed to give you about 2 charges. The sound quality is comparable, but the volume is lower than the BlueBuds and actually battery life is half of the BlueBuds. Both are sweatproof.

You said you want something really cheap though, so I guess neither of these are an option for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.