Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Handle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
I just tried hooking my MacBook Air up to my LCD TV with a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. It worked, but I noticed that there is a menubar at the top of the TV screen and it stays there all the time, even when I put a video in full screen. I can click on the menubar on the laptop and it takes the menubar on the TV out of focus, but it's still there and annoying when watching a movie.

Is there any way to get rid of the menubar from the TV screen altogether? I don't need it on both the TV and the laptop screen.

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
If you deactivate the options "monitors use seperate spaces" in Settings => Mission control you'll only have one menu bar on your primary display.

If I go fullscreen on my secondary display the menu bar hides. Maybe it's your player's fault? Works fine with itunes, VLC and MXPlayer for me.

Handle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
If you deactivate the options "monitors use seperate spaces" in Settings => Mission control you'll only have one menu bar on your primary display.
That fixed it! Thanks

If I go fullscreen on my secondary display the menu bar hides. Maybe it's your player's fault? Works fine with itunes, VLC and MXPlayer for me.

I tried a few different players. Is the menubar on your secondary monitor the only one you have?

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
I use seperate spaces for each monitor so every one has it's own menu bar.

When i maximize VLC for example the menu bar hides behind the window.

Handle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
That's odd. I tried full screen Netflix, Starz play, and a couple others and the menu bar was always at the top.

But I don't want the menu bar on that display at all so you cured my issue :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.