Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ag29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
Picked it up to replace my original Ipad air.

Wasn't really expecting much..Thinner eh..cool but not that big of a deal...touch id...dont really care...better camera...eh don't take pictures with my ipad anyway.

Then I tried using it...and boom this thing is almost twice as fast as the original air! by far the best feature is its speed. I must admit I'm pretty impressed just from speed alone I wasn't expecting much improvement.

Jony Ive

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Another improvement is the response of the display, it's as good as the iPhone 6

ag29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
Another improvement is the response of the display, it's as good as the iPhone 6

No comparison between my 6 plus and ipad air. 6 plus is fast, but the new ipad just blows it out of the water.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Do you have a stylus? I use the bluetooth Adobe Ink for drawing and was wondering if the new bonded display has less distance between the tip of the stylus and the virtual ink being laid down on the display. This is important for precise drawing. Thanks!

----------

CPU perfromance is almost on par with the Macbook Air 2014.

This is precisely why I think the rumored 12" iPad Pro and 12" fanless MacBook Air are actually the same machine.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Do you have a stylus? I use the bluetooth Adobe Ink for drawing and was wondering if the new bonded display has less distance between the tip of the stylus and the virtual ink being laid down on the display. This is important for precise drawing. Thanks!

----------

This is precisely why I think the rumored 12" iPad Pro and 12" fanless MacBook Air are actually the same machine.

That'd be cool, a macbook air but the screen is touch and you can decide to boot iOS or OS X

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
Good to hear it delivers on the speed. I'm curious to see what kind of apps will get developed for it to make use of that power.

Hearthstone still stuttered and chugged a little on my Air. On my Air 2 it's really slick and feels like the desktop version. It's not even optimised for Metal either.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014

Wasn't really expecting much..Thinner eh..cool but not that big of a deal...touch id...dont really care...better camera...eh don't take pictures with my ipad anyway.

Then I tried using it...and boom this thing is almost twice as fast as the original air! by far the best feature is its speed. I must admit I'm pretty impressed just from speed alone I wasn't expecting much improvement.

But how is the WiFi?

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
My simple test:
Go to The Verge on the Air and the Air 2, and scroll up and down the page. The Air reloads the page as I move from top to bottom, and the Air 2 keeps the entire page loaded at all times. Also, the Air 2 loaded the page faster than the Air when they were launched simultaneously.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

Twice as fast for everything? What have you tried?

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
My simple test:
Go to The Verge on the Air and the Air 2, and scroll up and down the page. The Air reloads the page as I move from top to bottom, and the Air 2 keeps the entire page loaded at all times. Also, the Air 2 loaded the page faster than the Air when they were launched simultaneously.

How's your WiFi?

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I wasn't exactly planning on upgrading from my Air (but kind of knew I would ;)). Stopped by the Apple store at lunch to check it out. What is most impressive to me is being able to keep 11 tabs opened without reloading (including The Verge), AFTER I played a game of Minion Rush for about 3 minutes. Interestingly when I first picked up that demo, it already had like 8 tabs opened. I added 3 more :p

I'm sold. Will buy it from Best Buy as soon as they have it at my local store.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
Mine has been steady on the 5GHz band all day. Did a speed test against my Asus RT-AC68U router at 4 feet which gave me ~450-500mbps. Certainly fast enough for me!

Good. If this is a real issue it'll break my heart.

I sold my laptop and I have no computer. I sold my laptop months ago waiting for this Air 2. If the WiFi won't work then it will be totally useless to me and I'm not updating it ever, so it needs to work out of the box.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Good. If this is a real issue it'll break my heart.

I sold my laptop and I have no computer. I sold my laptop months ago waiting for this Air 2. If the WiFi won't work then it will be totally useless to me and I'm not updating it ever, so it needs to work out of the box.

You sold you laptop months ago for this iPad? So you've only been using your phone?

You must need to do very little

kioko91

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Ipad air 2 is extremely fast!

Here are some wifi tests on Verizon Fios. Works flawlessly.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414110098.880732.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414110112.169502.jpg

Edit: also still on first battery charge out of the box. Been streaming YouTube all day, tapatalk, and casting Netflix. It's been on since I got it yesterday through all the app installs and screen tests. Loving it so far.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
My simple test:
This probably has more to do with the 2gb RAM then speed.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
My Air is constantly dropping wifi when I try to watch Netflix in bed. From there it's corner to corner 1st to 2nd floor from where the router is. If I hold the iPad sideways wifi speed falls off the cliff (every iPad iteration was this way). I'm using an Asus AC68 AC router which is one of the top models. I'm hoping the Air 2 with AC will give me better reception from bed.

Can you try holding your Air 2 sideways (both ways) and see how much speed drops off? Try it from a good distance from your router. This reception dropoff when held sideways is mainly an issue when far away from the router.

Here are some wifi tests on Verizon Fios. Works flawlessly.

View attachment 508004

View attachment 508005

Edit: also still on first battery charge out of the box. Been streaming YouTube all day, tapatalk, and casting Netflix. It's been on since I got it yesterday through all the app installs and screen tests. Loving it so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.