Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckiggins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
St. Louis, MO
My Air is currently on my AT&T Mobile Share plan. I'm assuming that I can just take the SIM out of the Air and put it into the Air 2 and be good to go?

I ask because when I look at my AT&T account online it specifically shows the SIM registered to an A1475 iPad Air, and obviously the Air 2 is a different device/model # - didn't know if it would cause issues or not.

I'm hoping to not have to deal with an AT&T store or CS, because we all know how THAT is. :)

I'm planning on keeping the Apple SIM, obviously, in case I ever decide to switch carriers or need it for international travel.

ckiggins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
St. Louis, MO
This is likely a dumb question (sorry), but since the SIM is already activated in an iPad currently, they shouldn't charge an activation fee on the new Air 2, right?

ckiggins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
St. Louis, MO
FYI, this wouldn't work automatically. The new iPad Air 2 just kept saying "searching" and wouldn't find the network.

I hit up tech support chat on AT&T and the rep asked for the IMEI of the new iPad. She asked me to turn the iPad Air 2 off, take the SIM out of the old iPad and into the new iPad Air 2 and wait 30 seconds before turning it on. She said she updated settings on the SIM (what they were, I don't know).

I waited 30 seconds as requested - turned on the new Air 2 and I was up and running with LTE. Whole thing took about 2 minutes.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
This is likely a dumb question (sorry), but since the SIM is already activated in an iPad currently, they shouldn't charge an activation fee on the new Air 2, right?

Nope no activation fee. Read below

FYI, this wouldn't work automatically. The new iPad Air 2 just kept saying "searching" and wouldn't find the network.

I hit up tech support chat on AT&T and the rep asked for the IMEI of the new iPad. She asked me to turn the iPad Air 2 off, take the SIM out of the old iPad and into the new iPad Air 2 and wait 30 seconds before turning it on. She said she updated settings on the SIM (what they were, I don't know).

I waited 30 seconds as requested - turned on the new Air 2 and I was up and running with LTE. Whole thing took about 2 minutes.

I would call ATT after you switched SIM card just to confirm.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I did this with my ATT sim and only get 1 bar reception vs 5 on my air. I'm trying a restore now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.