Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Is there such a thing as an HDMI cable that on one end has 1 HDMI connector and then splits to having 2 HDMI connectors on the other end?

Or a USB 3.0 to HDMI cord?

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Is there such a thing as an HDMI cable that on one end has 1 HDMI connector and then splits to having 2 HDMI connectors on the other end?

i've seen devices (this size of a deck of cards) that will split the signal but not a direct Y splitter. if you're trying to send the view out to multiple displays then consider using a thunderbolt to hdmi for the second display

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

There are devices that do this, yes, but what exactly are you trying to achieve?

If you want to send the same image to multiple displays, HDMI splitters exist.

If you want each display to show something different, then you'd need to give us a bit more info on what computer you have and what you intend to do with it.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
There are devices that do this, yes, but what exactly are you trying to achieve?

If you want to send the same image to multiple displays, HDMI splitters exist.

If you want each display to show something different, then you'd need to give us a bit more info on what computer you have and what you intend to do with it.

Brand new Retina MBP. I am using a Thunderbolt to HDMI cord going into my Samsung monitor. On the back of the Samsung Monitor is 2 HDMI ports. So the 2nd port uses an HDMI to HDMI cord to the other monitor.

Nothing is displayed on that second monitor using a "daisy-chain" method. The only way is to use my HDMI port and my Thunderbolt port separately, or both thunderbolt ports.

I also experience this same problem on my Yoga 2 Pro laptop by Lenovo.

SkimMilk168

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2014
Singapore
Brand new Retina MBP. I am using a Thunderbolt to HDMI cord going into my Samsung monitor. On the back of the Samsung Monitor is 2 HDMI ports. So the 2nd port uses an HDMI to HDMI cord to the other monitor.

Nothing is displayed on that second monitor using a "daisy-chain" method. The only way is to use my HDMI port and my Thunderbolt port separately, or both thunderbolt ports.

I don't think I've heard of HDMI daisy chains on monitors.
The 2 HDMI ports at the back of your monitor --> are they both input?
If it's 1 input, 1 output, is the monitor capable of receiving thunderbolt -> HDMI signal on 1 port and output to the 2nd port?

What model is your monitor?

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I don't think I've heard of HDMI daisy chains on monitors.
The 2 HDMI ports at the back of your monitor --> are they both input?
If it's 1 input, 1 output, is the monitor capable of receiving thunderbolt -> HDMI signal on 1 port and output to the 2nd port?

What model is your monitor?

It's a Samsung 27" SD590P monitor.

I guess if daisy chaining monitors isn't possible, how do people with just 1 thunderbolt port or 1 hdmi port connect to multiple monitors?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Thunderbolt devices are different

It's a Samsung 27" SD590P monitor.

I guess if daisy chaining monitors isn't possible, how do people with just 1 thunderbolt port or 1 hdmi port connect to multiple monitors?

Thunderbolt is a 2 way connection and thunderbot devices can daisy chain, HDMI is output to input only, your screen has 2 HDMI to allow 2 inputs, ie a computer and a games console.

If you only have one thunderbolt or HDMI port you can only use one monitor unless you daisy chain thunderbolt devices.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

HDMI is not daisy chainable. HDMI works as an output to an input, not the other way around.

Thunderbolt and displayport on the other hard ARE daisy chainable and would achieve what you're trying to do. The HDMI ports on your monitor are inputs only.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Thunderbolt is a 2 way connection and thunderbot devices can daisy chain, HDMI is output to input only, your screen has 2 HDMI to allow 2 inputs, ie a computer and a games console.

If you only have one thunderbolt or HDMI port you can only use one monitor unless you daisy chain thunderbolt devices.

Thanks for your response, this helps. Looking for other cords / hubs to use to accomplish this then.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Tell us which mac you have and someone will give you a solution.

As I say we need to know which mac you need 2 monitors on. Cables and hubs etc will do nothing without the right inputs and outputs on your mac.

SkimMilk168

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2014
Singapore
hmm.. you already have a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter correct?
Connect this to the first monitor.

Then, using a hdmi cable, connect your rMBP to the 2nd monitor thru the built in HDMI port.

That should achieve what you intend, no?

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Thanks for your response, this helps. Looking for other cords / hubs to use to accomplish this then.

The only way, other than using multiple outputs on your computer, is to either use thunderbolt equipment (like the apple thunderbolt screens) or to use a device like the matrox dualhead2go. That device emulates a really wide screen and splits up the resulting signal to two separate monitors with two separate cables.

You can't daisy-chain HDMI like you're trying to do; the only thing that might accomplish is the same image on two screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.