Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 16, 2006, 09:41 PM   #1
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

TiBook dead (low battery force sleep deal), help!

TiBook (specs in sig) has been great until yesterday - Force sleep due to low battery, now it won't turn back on. Tried resetting power but the little yellow button on back, took out extra RAM, ran off A/C power (batter charged all night, but still showing blinking green indicator light) with and without battery in slot - nothing. Tried the command-control-power thing. Nothing has worked. Gah, terrible feeling.

Any suggestions? Pleassse help. My mother is going to be super angry if this thing is broke, considering I only got it a few weeks ago.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 09:59 PM   #2
aquajet
macrumors 68020

Try resetting the PMU:

Link
PowerBook G4 and PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Press and release the reset button located on the rear panel of the computer between the external video and modem ports.
3. Wait 5 seconds.
4. Press the Power button to restart the computer.
aquajet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:14 PM   #3
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquajet
Try resetting the PMU:

Link
PowerBook G4 and PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Press and release the reset button located on the rear panel of the computer between the external video and modem ports.
3. Wait 5 seconds.
4. Press the Power button to restart the computer.
Already did that. About 20 times. Nothing.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:21 PM   #4
Jschultz
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Jschultz
Isn't there a PMU battery? That may have given up the ghost. With the same 'book as you, I suspect this may be a lead.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 05:50 AM   #5
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschultz
Isn't there a PMU battery? That may have given up the ghost. With the same 'book as you, I suspect this may be a lead.
Is this the internal battery?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 02:10 PM   #6
Jschultz
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Jschultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymouthbreezer
Is this the internal battery?
Yessir.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 05:22 AM   #7
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschultz
Yessir.
Where is that located?
Old Feb 18, 2006, 07:01 PM   #8
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

Humm... After reading... I think maybe my power adapter is dead? That would explain the dead battery (which was holding a 5 hour charge two days before... seems unlikely that it would just die so fast). I've plugged it in all night, and nothing happens to the battery.

I read that if plugged into the A/C power with the battery removed, the sleep light will blink if your internal battery is low (plugging in the A/C overnight with the battery removed would charge the internal battery - at least enough to start the machine up off A/C power, but I don't get a blinking light when I did this). I'm not sure how true it is, but this would also prove my theory of a dead A/C adapter.

Tomorrow I'll see if my friends iBook (Apple's site says it will work with the older models) power brick charges my battery, or at least will start the TiBook up running off it. I just hate not knowing even what the issue is.

As for the internal battery, how much do those run, if that turns out to be the issue?
Old Feb 18, 2006, 08:19 PM   #9
California
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymouthbreezer
Humm... After reading... I think maybe my power adapter is dead? That would explain the dead battery (which was holding a 5 hour charge two days before... seems unlikely that it would just die so fast). I've plugged it in all night, and nothing happens to the battery.

I read that if plugged into the A/C power with the battery removed, the sleep light will blink if your internal battery is low (plugging in the A/C overnight with the battery removed would charge the internal battery - at least enough to start the machine up off A/C power, but I don't get a blinking light when I did this). I'm not sure how true it is, but this would also prove my theory of a dead A/C adapter.

Tomorrow I'll see if my friends iBook (Apple's site says it will work with the older models) power brick charges my battery, or at least will start the TiBook up running off it. I just hate not knowing even what the issue is.

As for the internal battery, how much do those run, if that turns out to be the issue?
I had the same computer. The motherboard battery -- located under topcase above optical drive -- went out on mine on the machine's four year birthday. 70 bucks for new one unless you can find a used topcase that has one. Also, I thought it maybe had to do with the 10.3.9 update I had done on the machine the night the machine died, but have no way of knowing. You probably have the old yo yo adapter so you cannot tell if there is actual power going to the machine or not -- no yellow power indicator light, right?
Old Feb 18, 2006, 09:45 PM   #10
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by California
I had the same computer. The motherboard battery -- located under topcase above optical drive -- went out on mine on the machine's four year birthday. 70 bucks for new one unless you can find a used topcase that has one. Also, I thought it maybe had to do with the 10.3.9 update I had done on the machine the night the machine died, but have no way of knowing. You probably have the old yo yo adapter so you cannot tell if there is actual power going to the machine or not -- no yellow power indicator light, right?
That's correct, no yellow light.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 02:22 PM   #11
Sweetfeld28
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Sweetfeld28
Hey Plymouth,

Did you figure out what the issue was? I feel bad, that something happened to it. My friend who sold it to me, before you bought it from me, told me the battery was bought from OWC [it was an extended life battery - should have a longer than normal battery life].

I don't know what, other than that, that i could tell you. I, nor my friend, had ever had any issues with it. Let me know if you would like me to ask him anything, as i will relay the messages.

Ryan
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:29 PM   #12
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetfeld28
Hey Plymouth,

Did you figure out what the issue was? I feel bad, that something happened to it. My friend who sold it to me, before you bought it from me, told me the battery was bought from OWC [it was an extended life battery - should have a longer than normal battery life].

I don't know what, other than that, that i could tell you. I, nor my friend, had ever had any issues with it. Let me know if you would like me to ask him anything, as i will relay the messages.

Ryan
Turns out it was the "YoYo" power adapter. I guess it's just dead. The battery still holds a 5 + hour charge.

I plugged an AlBook's brick in it and it started up just fine. Now I just need to figure out a way to buy the $80 brick without telling my mother!
Old Feb 23, 2006, 01:32 PM   #13
jscottl
macrumors newbie

get on ebay im sure you could find one there cheaper than eighty bucks.
jscottl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs