Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
Was really looking forward to the iPhone 6 ever since it was announced. Was really happy they finally went with larger displays. I have owned a 4, 4S and a 5 in the past. Mainly jumped to Android for the larger displays. I personally am fine with both android and ios.

First iPhone 6 had really bad uneven backlighting. Exchanged just few days later after comparing with my friends for another. Not perfect backlighting but better then the first. Following days phone would power right off even with 50% or more battery. Missed calls texts etc. Took that one in and they said it had a hardware problem. .

Exchanged for a Samsung Galaxy S5. Screen looks great, battery life is good, camera seems just as good (to me) and I put $50 back in my pocket. First time, no swaps or headaches unlike my iPhone adventure. I think Apples quality control, style and appeal is going down hill without Jobs behind the wheel.obviously just my 2cents.

Happy I got a great working device again.

(Anyone wanna buy a few iPhone 6 cases lol)

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
While you did go through a lot of trouble, you did the same mistake any iOS to Android switcher does.

I understand 2 exchanges isn't ideal but I think you should have given it one more shot.

Just my opinion, I would have given it one more chance.

GummiBjorn

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2013
Can't comment so much on Apple products since the last Apple product I owned was an iPad Air back in 2013 which I returned due to terrible light bleeding and half screen yellow tint issue. But I've had a lot of issues with android devices as well, especially Samsung. For an example, I had to swap my Note 1 and 2 several times for new replacements since they had issues with their screen. In the end, I just realized that it's a lottery when it comes to buying Samsung devices. Some have bad screens, others not as much. While I'm happy for you, I wouldn't portray Samsung as the best when it comes to quality control.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
I did think about trying another iPhone but they were out of everything except the 128GB which I definitely didn't wanna spend on. Plus I seen two others wairing with iPhone 6 boxes..

Yea I have had issues with devices bUT swapping 2-3 times just seems a bit much.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I did think about trying another iPhone but they were out of everything except the 128GB which I definitely didn't wanna spend on. Plus I seen two others wairing with iPhone 6 boxes..

Yea I have had issues with devices bUT swapping 2-3 times just seems a bit much.

Sure,but what if your S5 had defects as well, would you return that as many times as possible and get a flawless one or just give up after one?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Sure,but what if your S5 had defects as well, would you return that as many times as possible and get a flawless one or just give up after one?
why does it bother you so much? You seem to take it personal that he went back to Android….

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
OMG what have you done???! Not only did you talk about going to android but you jumped ship to the S word? This will bring them out from everywhere with a vengence

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
OMG what have you done???! Not only did you talk about going to android but you jumped ship to the S word? This will bring them out from everywhere with a vengence

lol. Just figured I'd share my experience. I have no doubt had as I've had to exchange a device usually once if it's defective or the first was doa but that's about it. I've never had to swap out an iPhone and this time would have been third time to hopefully get it right. Of course after the second I went online "here" and others to read all the similar issues and people exchanging them numerous times.

----------

It doesnt. Reading back at it it does seem to read that way, so I say congrats OP!

Thanks! No biggie though as I know this whole forum is usually heated over the Android vs iOS. I enjoy both and really like different features of both. I enjoy checking out new handsets as they come out. One thing is for sure, there is a lot or nice options.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA

All things being equal if there are plenty of S5s in stock and finding a like model iPhone 6 is difficult I'd be more willing to exchange the S5 than an iPhone. Make it easy to do and I'm less likely to mind the hassle. Consider that the OP is willing to exchange the phone as many times as he can without being left with an unacceptable device for more than a day at a time.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I always find it a little odd when someone makes their choice within a given product type based on major hardware faults which obviously are not the norm, faults with those particular units and not the product in general. Ok, so you got a few lemons. That sucks of course. But does that change anything about the phone type itself? This can and does happen with any product from any OEM.

This is a bit like people whining and posting a pissed off 1-star review for an app when its obvious that there's a bug preventing it from even loading or not working on their particular device.

Up to the OP to choose the device he prefers of course, I'm not judging his final choice per se. It's just the reasoning behind it that doesn't make sense to me.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I personally never had a problem with any Samsung phones. Or any phone from other manufactures.

I had known hardware problems with the 4, 4S, and the 5. Apple customer service at the Apple store was great, they replaced my phone every time. The 3GS is the only iPhone I had that never had any hardware issues.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
He asked a valid question as this is a question floating around the MR fora.

Agreed.....it just seems to bother some people when someone leave Apple to go to Android.
Like i recommended to you in another thread......stay with Apple if that is what you like. Go with Android if it suits your needs. Either way enjoy what you have.
But no matter which one you choose it should not elicit an emotional response from others....
JMHO......

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I personally never had a problem with any Samsung phones. Or any phone from other manufactures.

I had known hardware problems with the 4, 4S, and the 5. Apple customer service at the Apple store was great, they replaced my phone every time. The 3GS is the only iPhone I had that never had any hardware issues.

You may not have problems with Samsung phones, but I know people who have. Nothing manufactured has a zero defect rate.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
You may not have problems with Samsung phones, but I know people who have. Nothing manufactured has a zero defect rate.

Just stating my experience. I personally feel you're more likely to encounter an iPhone hardware defect vs other brands.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Just stating my experience. I personally feel you're more likely to encounter an iPhone hardware defect vs other brands.

I feel the other way around, just based on my feelings. Okay, I see where this is headed.

----------

Correct....that includes ALL manufacturers.....

Why do you feel the need to capitalize the word all. Did you think I was saying all manufacturers except Apple?

Apple has a different problem the sheer number of phones manufactured. They may have a low defect rate, but fora such as MR gives everybody an equal voice in the world, and make it seem worse than it really is.

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Only $50 in your pocket? For an S5 I would have wanted at least $300. In the uk I can get a Note 4 at half the cost of an iPhone 6 over a contract period.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I feel the other way around, just based on my feelings. Okay, I see where this is headed.

----------

Why do you feel the need to capitalize the word all. Did you think I was saying all manufacturers except Apple?

Apple has a different problem the sheer number of phones manufactured. They may have a low defect rate, but fora such as MR gives everybody an equal voice in the world, and make it seem worse than it really is.

See....ALL does not mean Apple.......I don't know why you would think so. there are a lot of phone makers out there.......

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I agree going back to Android from iOS. But to go back to a S5 is a little strange just because it's a older phone and currently there are many phones after it. I have a Note 4 and the new metal bodies are the best from Samsung. I actually like that Galaxy Alpha series as well. After playing around with the new design it's hard to look and hold the S5 due to the plastic design.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I tried pretty much most mobile OSes during the past six years. I started off from Symbian, iOS, webOS, BlackBerry OS, Android, and Windows Phone in that order.

They ALL have flaws. It isn't really bashing. It is being critical for every OS out there since they all have negatives. Except back when I was on iOS (circa 2008 - 2011), I thought it was close to the most perfect mobile OS with near perfect hardware. But I didn't really see iOS' glaring flaws starting to get bigger once I started using OTHER platforms for a reasonable time. The glaring holes of Android started to get smaller or get plugged by Google, OEM, app developers, or the users while iOS and WP was quite refined from the start but with little changes since. Back then, iOS was the main reason iPhones were ahead of the game for so long. When Apple started to close up the holes on its hardware as if you remember iPhones couldn't even video record until 3Gs or had a front cam until the 4, it was the software that now became the main culprit to iPhones' weaknesses.

It is basically one company's vision with a closed platform vs several companies' ideas in an open platform. Apple or Microsoft vs an Android army.

ryankul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2014
Michigan
I agree going back to Android from iOS. But to go back to a S5 is a little strange just because it's a older phone and currently there are many phones after it. I have a Note 4 and the new metal bodies are the best from Samsung. I actually like that Galaxy Alpha series as well. After playing around with the new design it's hard to look and hold the S5 due to the plastic design.

I thought the Note 4 was great. The display looks awesome. Problem is it was just too uncomfortable in my jeans pockets (I thought it would be especially sitting/driving) and no skinny jeans here lol. They didn't have the Alpha and I had already tried the Motorola Motor X 2014 and didn't like it. Battery life was really bad. I think for me the S5 is working quite well. My only gripe is I wish the sound was better but I mainly use h headphones so I can deal with that.

----------

Only $50 in your pocket? For an S5 I would have wanted at least $300. In the uk I can get a Note 4 at half the cost of an iPhone 6 over a contract period.

Was able to get a case for the new phone and a little over 50$ back. I only paid $175 with new agreement at Sams Club via Verizon for the iPhone 6 I originally got. SGS5 was on sale for $119.

macgeek88

Suspended
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
I went from using Android for years to the new iPhone 6...it's amazing. Everything I've wanted in a phone and more. iOS 8 is great and have had 0 issues. Coming from an S5 (the latest one I had).

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I find it interesting to see the Galaxy S5 referred to as an 'older phone' here. It was only released in February. This is one of my concern's about returning to Android, especially if I get a standard 24 month contract. Are phones that are 8 months old really considered 'old'? You said there are many model's after it and I know its no secret Samsung release a lot of handsets, it just strikes me as concerning. I know if I buy an iPhone, regardless of its capabilities, it will still be considered 'in date' for pretty much an entire contract, even when its replaced by an 'S' version. It doesn't get swamped out by many models. With so many handsets to choose from in the Android community there is a danger your phone is considered out of date after a very short time, and indeed this has been backed up by what I have read here. I know it shouldn't matter, but when you buy a top phone you want it to be a top phone for as long as possible, or at least I do.

I have to say though I really like the Note 4 and have been impressed with all the video's I have watched. Its far too big for me in reality, but a phone as capable as that would be what I looked for if I were to return in 2016. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.