Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I've noticed that TV commercials that target very old Senior Citizens almost always have the word "Free" in them multiple times. Get your Free Brochure, Free Demo, Free Gift, Free Membership, don't forget it's Free, etc. Why is this done so often with this age group?

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
I've noticed that TV commercials that target very old Senior Citizens almost always have the word "Free" in them multiple times. Get your Free Brochure, Free Demo, Free Gift, Free Membership, don't forget it's Free, etc. Why is this done so often with this age group?

As someone in marketing, I can tell you, "free" pretty much works in any demographic. Actually, more so women than men.

The senior-demographic commercials tend to want the seniors to call in for their "free" thing, so that they can sell them on something. Or bill the government for something. (think of the medical suppliers. the "incontinence" people even claim to call you to make sure you aren't running low on supplies).

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Because "free" is "magical."

Literally magical.

Zan_Zig_performing_with_rabbit_and_roses,_magician_poster,_1899-2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.