Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drew.89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Hey guys. First time iPad buyer here. I have narrowed it down to the iPad mini 2 32gb or the iPad Air 16gb, I can't spend anymore. Would it be worth going with the mini 2 for the extra storage ? Or going with the Air for the nicer screen? I will mainly be using it for browsing the web, Netflix, youtube, games etc. thanks guys.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
IPad mini 2 (32gb) or iPad Air 16 (gb)?

What kind of games ? Candy crush and etc or stuff like xcom? If it's stuff like candy crush personally if you don't store music on it I would go with size preference. Personally I think 16gb is to small for me ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414172435.305678.jpg

I refuse to get 16gb models any more even with android and which is why I didn't buy the Samsung Galaxy s 5 and waited for the note 4 which has 32gb of internal storage

The 16gb should have around 13-14gb free I think

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
32GB iPad mini 2. Easy.

Love the Air but 16GB is just too close for comfort. It's doable but may become unenjoyable. The mini 2 and Air 1 have very similar specs so you aren't losing out on that end. I have both and enjoy both but if it was one or the other w/ your constraints I'd pick the mini.

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
if you are not a heavy apps user, then why go with the 32gb. i have the air in 16gb and it's just fine. i use it for web/youtube and have a few movies on it as well. i will never pay the premium price for the extra storage apple charges, $100 for 32gb? come on man

erickj

macrumors regular
May 9, 2008
Seattle
Go Mini 32

I just got the 32gb Mini after much the same debate. I am doing a ton of travel with it and not using it for 'work' but for movies, tv, netflix, some music, web browsing and email. It's the perfect size for travel, plane, beach, and just all the little things like maps, browsing, email, etc. I couldn't be happier, it just feels good in my hands. And I feel like it's also less conspicuous. I've got a rMBP so for me so the screen and size of an air, it just felt like I should take my laptop. The Mini to me is really just portable, good for laying around, watching, browsing, emailing, etc.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Hey guys. First time iPad buyer here. I have narrowed it down to the iPad mini 2 32gb or the iPad Air 16gb, I can't spend anymore. Would it be worth going with the mini 2 for the extra storage ? Or going with the Air for the nicer screen? I will mainly be using it for browsing the web, Netflix, youtube, games etc. thanks guys.

For your purposes, definitely the iPad Air. The screen is bigger, so every element is larger onscreen. The bad thing about the iPad mini is that elements on screen are the same size as iPhones, meaning elements on the screen are much harder to make out without holding it as close as you do an iPhone. For the iPad Air, it is easier to see webpages, watch videos, etc. The 16GB is enough for your purposes. Browsing the web, Netflix, and youtube take up virtually no storage. Games take up some storage, but if you have a few games, 16GB is absolutely enough. 16GB storage has always been more than enough for me and everyone I know. If the iPad somehow tells you have no storage left, it is easy to delete stuff you somehow downloaded at one point, but you never ever use. I don't know anyone who regularly uses 16GB worth of content and apps.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Get a refurb and save 50 dollars. They're just like new and it might open up the number of devices you have to choose from in your price range.

Simonna

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
16GB will be probably enough for you if you aren't thinking to play HD games which uses around 1GB-2GB of storage these days

Drew.89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Thanks for all the input guys. I was able to cough up a little more dough and got the iPad Air 32gb space grey. I'm pretty happy with my decision. I actually went with the mini first , picked it up yesterday , I liked it a lot but just wanted a bigger screen so I took it back today.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Get a refurb and save 50 dollars. They're just like new and it might open up the number of devices you have to choose from in your price range.

This would have to be one of the most idiotic suggestions I've read in quite some time. LOOOOOOOOOOOOLZ

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for all the input guys. I was able to cough up a little more dough and got the iPad Air 32gb space grey. I'm pretty happy with my decision. I actually went with the mini first , picked it up yesterday , I liked it a lot but just wanted a bigger screen so I took it back today.

+1 while I think the 16gb is a waste of time for most people there is some who it doesn't matter. If your soley watching streaming services like Netflix , Hulu or etc and web browsing then it's fine

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
True it has better ppi but you can't tell the difference. I have a mini 2 and comparing it to my air 2 the screen on the air 2 is so much better.

Yes, true, however OP said Air 16gb.

----------

This would have to be one of the most idiotic suggestions I've read in quite some time. LOOOOOOOOOOOOLZ

Serious? Refurbs have fresh cases and batteries. Care to elaborate?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.