Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After tearing down the iPad Air 2 earlier this week, iFixit has now moved on to the iPad mini 3, which also received a minor update during Apple's October 16 iPad event. Unlike the iPad Air 2, the iPad mini 3 saw few internal improvements, gaining a new gold color option and a Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

As expected, iFixit's teardown reveals many of the same parts that were used in first Retina iPad mini, now called the iPad mini 2. It continues to use the same 7.9-inch display, A7 processor with M7 coprocessor, 5-megapixel camera, and 802.11n Wi-Fi.

There is one new addition, which is directly related to Touch ID and the iPad mini 3's ability to support in-app Apple Pay payments. Like the iPad Air 2, the iPad mini 3 includes a 65V10 NFC controller manufactured by NXP.

ipadmini3teardown.jpg
NFC Controller in blue
There is no accompanying NFC antenna to allow the tablet to make NFC-based payments within stores, but there has been strong speculation suggesting the NFC chip is where Apple Pay's "Secure Element" is located. According to Apple, the Secure Element is a dedicated chip that stores encrypted Device Account Numbers, which replace credit card numbers for security reasons.

Though the iPad mini 3 and the iPad Air 2 are not able to make payments within stores, they can make Apple Pay payments within participating apps and thus utilize both the Secure Element and Device Account Numbers.

NXP's own site details the use of a specific integrated circuit designed for handling and storing secure data on its website, stating the technology has been integrated into its NFC controller chips. While the 65V10 is not mentioned by name, its appearance in both the iPad Air 2 and the iPad mini 3 suggests that it is indeed being used for its security function rather than its NFC function.

Aside from the inclusion of the 65V10 NFC chip, which is located in a spot on the logic board that was previously left blank, there are few other notable features about the iPad mini 3. iFixit did find that the tablet has new home button cabling to support Touch ID and home button brackets that are securely affixed by hot glue, which makes removing the home button a much more difficult task.

homebuttonglue.jpg
Like the Touch ID cable in the iPhone 5s, the location of the Touch ID cable in the iPad mini 3 makes screen repairs very difficult, as the cable is easy to sever when opening up the display. Due to the glue and the precarious position of the Touch ID cable, the iPad mini 3 earned a repairability score of 2 out of 10 from iFixit.

Apple's iPad mini 3 is currently available in both retail stores and from Apple's online store, with prices that start at $399.

Article Link: iPad Mini 3 Teardown Reveals NFC Controller for Apple Pay, Hot Glued Home Button

rweavere

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
Indiana, USA
Is it possible that this NFC controller is what contains the "secure element" for ApplePay?

...and I just read the rest of the post. Looks like it confirms my thought.

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
I guess the iPad mini 4 will come with a glue gun and DIY instructions.

Last edited:

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Is it possible that this NFC controller is what contains the "secure element" for ApplePay?

...and I just read the rest of the post. Looks like it confirms my thought.

Yes, I believe that this is actually the Secure Element, rather than the NFC.

soundguyami

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
People like to gripe just because they can. The former models home button was two sided tape. What does it matter if it is a industrial hot glue method??? Even your all mighty Android manufacturers use this method. I think Droidboys post on here all day just for kicks.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
So I assume since it was not mentioned, it still has 1GB RAM? That is my deciding factor at the moment if I will upgrade from my iPad Mini 2.

EDIT: Meh. I guess so...

rMTXQi9.png

Last edited:

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
People like to gripe just because they can. The former models home button was two sided tape. What does it matter if it is a industrial hot glue method??? Even your all mighty Android manufacturers use this method. I think Droidboys post on here all day just for kicks.

Post makes perfect sense. Problem is this is MacRumors and people are actively looking for something to gripe about.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
This is one of those things about Apple that just makes me scratch my head, just like Continuity not working on Macs it should, same with Air Drop, etc.
And now Apple Pay.

These are all great features added in software, but none of them are great enough to go out and buy a new Mac! Do they really think this is a great marketing angle in how to deal with loyal customers with machines they don't need replaced.

HEY WE GOT SOME NEW FEATURES, BUT OH, WE DISABLED THEM ON YOUR PRODUCT SO BUY A NEW ONE, NO BIG DEAL SUCKER!

Sorry Apple. I'm just not that gullible, but don't worry. Plenty of people here are.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
This is one of those things about Apple that just makes me scratch my head, just like Continuity not working on Macs it should, same with Air Drop, etc.
And now Apple Pay.

These are all great features added in software, but none of them are great enough to go out and buy a new Mac! Do they really think this is a great marketing angle in how to deal with loyal customers with machines they don't need replaced.

HEY WE GOT SOME NEW FEATURES, BUT OH, WE DISABLED THEM ON YOUR PRODUCT SO BUY A NEW ONE, NO BIG DEAL SUCKER!

Sorry Apple. I'm just not that gullible, but don't worry. Plenty of people here are.

What are you talking about? Previous generation iPad Minis did not have NFC. Or TouchID. It is not just software.

jonAppleSeed

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2013

Wait for it.....

#gluegate

brucerb

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
secure element vs secure enclave?

This explains why the iPhone 5S can't use ApplePay for in-app purchases despite having TouchID. It needs the NFC chip for "secure element".

Apple touted that the A7 in the 5S has a "secure enclave" to hold fingerprint data. I haven't heard this mentioned since the iPhone6 and the A8 came out. Is "secure enclave" still in the A8? Or did this move to the NFC chip and merge into "secure element"?

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I don't understand why they would need the nfc chip for on device payments when the 5S can do it and doesn't have the chip....

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
This explains why the iPhone 5S can't use ApplePay for in-app purchases despite having TouchID. It needs the NFC chip for "secure element".

Apple touted that the A7 in the 5S has a "secure enclave" to hold fingerprint data. I haven't heard this mentioned since the iPhone6 and the A8 came out. Is "secure enclave" still in the A8? Or did this move to the NFC chip and merge into "secure element"?

Both are present and separate

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Imagine if this ipad mini 3 has the same internal as ipad air 2.
I'm sure lots of people would sell their iphone 6 plus and buy this instead, and pair it with iphone 5s or maybe iphone 6.

gimikinc

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Bay Area
ipad for in store payments?

It seems cumbersome to use a ipad to make an in-store payment, but I guess there are a lot of people that carry them around so could be a convenient way to pay....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.