Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
I just picked up a new iPad Mini 2 (actually, an iPad Mini Retina 64GB) form the local Apple Store, and am having a devil of a time installing one app (Clear). I've tried everything (power off/on, hard reset, signing out/in to iTunes/App Store, etc.), so I'm thinking that what I need to do is start completely fresh. I updated this computer to 8.1 after I purchased it.

At this point, I'd rather just start fresh then spend the time dealing with a Genius Bar appointment. What is the best way to get the iPad to as clean/oroginal a state as possible? Is it "erase all settings and content" under Settings/General, or is there something better? I'm hoping that the problem is some software glitch that I can eliminate by starting fresh.

I'll back up before I do this, so I'll restore it from the backup, unless just reloading all the apps from scratch is better.

Many thanks in advance.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Er, if you restore from backup, that's not "starting fresh."

And yes, if you want to wipe your iPad, then "erase all contents and settings" is what you use.

But since you want to restore from backup, sounds like you already have data and settings on your iPad you want to keep. Perhaps it's better to see if we can get that app installed without resorting to the "wipe iPad and start over" method.

What happens when you try to install the app? Have you tried turning off your iPad and restarting it?

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Er, if you restore from backup, that's not "starting fresh."

And yes, if you want to wipe your iPad, then "erase all contents and settings" is what you use.

But since you want to restore from backup, sounds like you already have data and settings on your iPad you want to keep. Perhaps it's better to see if we can get that app installed without resorting to the "wipe iPad and start over" method.

What happens when you try to install the app? Have you tried turning off your iPad and restarting it?

Many thanks. This is a new device, and reconfiguring it to what I have now would be pretty quick if I had to set it up as a new iPad.

I've tried just about everythings: off/on, reboot/restart, sign out of/in to iTunes and App Store on the iPad, etc. I'm hoping that either Apple or RealMac can help, but it may be just easier to start fresh.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Many thanks. This is a new device, and reconfiguring it to what I have now would be pretty quick if I had to set it up as a new iPad.

I've tried just about everythings: off/on, reboot/restart, sign out of/in to iTunes and App Store on the iPad, etc. I'm hoping that either Apple or RealMac can help, but it may be just easier to start fresh.

Ok, I just tried downloading Clear on my iPhone, and it worked without a hitch, so not sure what's going on there. It can't hurt to start over other than your losing the time to redo everything, but this is so odd... Do let me know if wiping and starting over gets it to work.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
Ok, I just tried downloading Clear on my iPhone, and it worked without a hitch, so not sure what's going on there. It can't hurt to start over other than your losing the time to redo everything, but this is so odd... Do let me know if wiping and starting over gets it to work.

Night Spring - Thanks for checking. Wiping and staring over worked, and now Clear syncs on all three devices.

I'm a huge fan of iOS and OS X integration, but the transition to Yosemite and iOS 8 has been rocky. I've never had as many iOS device syncing and other problems as I've had this past week. (New iPhoto has been a challenge at times, too.) Hopefully, we'll get some updates soon that will bring greater stability.

negroswamy

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
I just picked up a new iPad Mini 2 (actually, an iPad Mini Retina 64GB) form the local Apple Store, and am having a devil of a time installing one app (Clear). I've tried everything (power off/on, hard reset, signing out/in to iTunes/App Store, etc.), so I'm thinking that what I need to do is start completely fresh. I updated this computer to 8.1 after I purchased it.

At this point, I'd rather just start fresh then spend the time dealing with a Genius Bar appointment. What is the best way to get the iPad to as clean/oroginal a state as possible? Is it "erase all settings and content" under Settings/General, or is there something better? I'm hoping that the problem is some software glitch that I can eliminate by starting fresh.

I'll back up before I do this, so I'll restore it from the backup, unless just reloading all the apps from scratch is better.

Many thanks in advance.

ever try to connect the iPad to your computer via a cord, open iTunes, and actually dragging the app from your iTunes onto the iPad? if so, maybe the iPad has some issue that needs to be looked at? I'm assuming that you can put other apps on it normally, right?

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2002
ever try to connect the iPad to your computer via a cord, open iTunes, and actually dragging the app from your iTunes onto the iPad? if so, maybe the iPad has some issue that needs to be looked at? I'm assuming that you can put other apps on it normally, right?

I could; it was only Clear, and I finally just started fresh, and everything seems to be working fine (fingers crossed...).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.