Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
So I bought a 64 iPad Air 2 at my local Best Buy. I opened it up there and had them put on a glass screen protector. I set it up quickly while they were getting the screen protector ready. I went into the settings to check the iOS version and saw that the available memory was 114.6GB. So I showed the guy and he checked the box. The serial number on the box and on the iPad were different. They said they weren't going to open up a bunch of iPads just so they could find the match. So long story short, I walked out of Best Buy with a 128GB iPad that only cost the price of a 64GB one :)

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Many people on this forum would disagree (especially when it comes to customer service). But I walked out of there with an iPad yesterday, so how could I complain?

Seriously though, their customer service is awful.

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Yeah I usually get my Apple products at the Apple store but I didnt have time to drive there. There's a Best Buy on the way home from work so I just decided to pop in. They were actually talking about selling it as an open box and getting me another 64GB. But they ended up letting me keep it.

Edit: This is Best Buy in Canada if that matters.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I have built a rapport with employees in the departments I shop and also with management. I get good customer service and do not have problems with my specific store. I rather shop there and get zero interest financing than elsewhere and it is so close to my home to ice the cake.

I was in and out today with a new Air 2 in ten minutes, no preorder no waiting in a line like at Apple or submitting my name and waiting. In other words, priceless!

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
"Best buy is amazing!!!"

The first time those words were ever uttered in Best Buy's existence.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Some poor soul is buying a 128GB and only getting 64GB. He'll probably take it back to Best Buy and be told "too bad." :p

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I guess this goes to show that you should ALWAYS ALWAYS open the box, turn on, and test any electronic purchase before leaving a store.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
So I bought a 64 iPad Air 2 at my local Best Buy. I opened it up there and had them put on a glass screen protector. I set it up quickly while they were getting the screen protector ready. I went into the settings to check the iOS version and saw that the available memory was 114.6GB. So I showed the guy and he checked the box. The serial number on the box and on the iPad were different. They said they weren't going to open up a bunch of iPads just so they could find the match. So long story short, I walked out of Best Buy with a 128GB iPad that only cost the price of a 64GB one :)

So what happens if you have a warranty claim and it doesn't match the serial number on the receipt, does it even matter?

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I think you're more lucky than they are good.

If you had gone home and realized it was 16GB instead of 128GB, they would've called you a liar and told you to go home.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
My worry would be if your try to return it and they won't take it as the serial numbers don't match...

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Best Buy is many things. Amazing is not on the list, unless it's added with copious amounts of sarcastic incredulity.

In this particular case, it's their very lack of game that worked out for you. It's usually the opposite.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I remember buying a 32Gb mini on release day at the local apple store. Had 2 dead pixels and took it back. Had no more 32Gb in stock so gave me a 64gb for no extra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.