Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
I'm trying to add my new air 2 to my existing t-mo account, but it fails at the last step and says to call customer support. But, when I call, none of them know anything about the apple sim and keep telling me I need a t-mobile sim. Very frustrating!

Has anyone activated an air 2 on their existing t-mobile account yet?

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
No, but let us know if you find an update. I've set up my new iPad Air 2 but haven't done anything about the LTE part yet. I have a T-Mo account with the free 200mb/mo that I was planning on using at first.

Good luck and sorry I don't have a solution to add!

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
In a second conversation I had another rep said he talked to some senior tech guys and they claimed they were having issues with the Apple sims and at this time all they could recommend was get a t-mo sim and they notated my account so they'd give me one for free in a t-mo store if I went there.

If I have to do that I will eventually because 5gb for 10/month for existing customers is a great deal but I'd rather use the apple sim.

(And thanks fanchee, I'll post back how things end up)

UPDATE: Tweeted about this to John Legere on Twitter. Got a response from their help plus brief "not true" from him on needing t-mo sim:

W4TN078APEMumYNte-VFT9MTqfGI0U3wEFii6ISKga64=w293-h259-p-no

Last edited:

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
Good news: had some more interactions via twitter w/T-mo, and someone behind the scenes must have fixed things because I tried again this morning and the activation worked! Added to my existing plan with the "double your data" offer.

Moral of the story: If you have issues and a support rep tries to say you need to get a t-mobile sim instead of an Apple sim, it is NOT true!

UPDATE: One other thing they called back to clarify, and I'm glad they did because it is a bit confusing: they have two similar sounding data plans (amongst several other options) for the ipad air 2:

First, there is a *prepaid* 5gb pass for 5 months for $10. If you get that you can use up to 5gb of full speed data (in addition to the free 250mb a month you ALWAYS get). It's a one-time payment of $10 for a one-time allocation of data that gives you that pool of 5gb that lasts for up to 5 months.

Second, if you're a postpaid customer you can "double your data" and match your phone data allocation on your tablet for $10 *per month*, up to a max of 5gb a month. Since I have their unlimited data plan I end up getting 5gb per month for $10 per month.

I also checked, and just as with their phone plans selected music services (e.g. rdio, which I use a lot) do not count against data at all, so for me that 5gb a month will be more than enough. In essence I'm getting more data than I'll probably ever use per month for $10 a month, which is a great deal, IMO.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.