Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
Hi all.

As a school project, my group and I have been given $4000 to buy a small experimental 3D printer.
This printer will be used in various classes for a wide range of purposes, that to me are unknown at this stage.

I have been delegated to find suitable design software.
As this printer will be used by students of various skill levels, the design tool should be easy to grasp, but be advanced enough for more experienced students as well.
The first thing that comes to mind is 3DS max and Blender, with Blender obviously having a major advantage in being free. However, both have a, by my judgement, rather steep learning curve.

What are your propositions for this?

BR Mulo

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
If you want something that's easy to grasp, and allows you to jump from file to 3D printed model with very little fuss or muss, you can't go wrong with Sketchup. It can export to .STL, which I believe is the standard format for 3D printing. On top of that, it's braindead easy to use. It only took half an hour of tutorials to come to terms with it.

Blender is another excellent option. It's powerful, and has 3D printing capabilities baked right into the program itself. But like you said, it has a very, VERY steep learning curve. If you can learn it, you can make just about anything you want, from exacting archvis models, to high resolution 3D sculpts.

If you intend on getting long term invested in 3D printing, I'd suggest Blender. If not, Sketchup is what you need.

edit: I should add that if you want to go all out and get a pro 3D suite, I'd pick Modo over Maya. Maya has its perks, but Modo is far more elegant, and easier to come to terms with. Plus, it has a wallet friendly student license you can take advantage of. I think it's $150 for a year, $300 without a termination date.

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Hi all.

As a school project, my group and I have been given $4000 to buy a small experimental 3D printer.
This printer will be used in various classes for a wide range of purposes, that to me are unknown at this stage.

I have been delegated to find suitable design software.
As this printer will be used by students of various skill levels, the design tool should be easy to grasp, but be advanced enough for more experienced students as well.
The first thing that comes to mind is 3DS max and Blender, with Blender obviously having a major advantage in being free. However, both have a, by my judgement, rather steep learning curve.

What are your propositions for this?

BR Mulo

If you're a student 3Ds Max and Maya are free.

Also since you're students I would suggest Modo. Its VERY easy to learn, is far more robust than sketch up (so you can make what you want) and is very cheap for students. I think $100 for a license or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.