Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I moved the sim from my Air to the Air 2 and only get about 1 bar LTE vs 5 on my original air same location. There seems to be no way to activate the new sim on my current ATT plan. Only choices I have are a new line of service or pay as you go etc.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Both iPad Air and 2 use the same nano sim card. Therefore, they are interchangeable. The sim card will have nothing to do with signal strength. With AT&T you can transfer service from one sim to another. You can do that in the cellular setting menu.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
I moved the sim from my Air to the Air 2 and only get about 1 bar LTE vs 5 on my original air same location. There seems to be no way to activate the new sim on my current ATT plan. Only choices I have are a new line of service or pay as you go etc.

Yup, because that's exactly what I had to do when the stupid setup menu wouldn't accept my email address and password combo in the "replace existing line" option for ATT. After verifying that my email and password were both correct, I figured either Apples or ATT's servers were stupid, pulled the sim out of my original Air and popped it into the Air 2. Five bars, no problems. If you're only getting one bar in a location that was giving your old model full bars, it's more likely you've got a bad unit and you should take it back while they still have replacements in stock. Bad reception is not a sim issue, it's and antenna/modem issue.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Retired 8.1 issue resolved.
Yup, because that's exactly what I had to do when the stupid setup menu wouldn't accept my email address and password combo in the "replace existing line" option for ATT. After verifying that my email and password were both correct, I figured either Apples or ATT's servers were stupid, pulled the sim out of my original Air and popped it into the Air 2. Five bars, no problems. If you're only getting one bar in a location that was giving your old model full bars, it's more likely you've got a bad unit and you should take it back while they still have replacements in stock. Bad reception is not a sim issue, it's and antenna/modem issue.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Both my AT&T And T-Mobile Sims work in my Air 2. I put the Apple SIM in the box so I won't lose it while I'm using my T-Mobile free data sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.