Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
I bought 2 Ipad air 2s.

1 of the 2 I noticed that just from holding the ipad with 1 hand the slight pressure on the back of the ipad distorts the screen as if I was pressing hard on the front of the screen.

Does anyone else have this problem?

This does not happen with my air "1".

I notice it only on the right side. You can see it happen more on the bottom half. It's easy to see happen with any screen EXCEPT a white screen.

My 2nd air 2 I notice does it very lightly in 1 small area. I'm not even sure I would have noticed if I didn't see it first on the other ipad.

Any thoughts? Is this a normal thing? Will it stop doing this?

The only difference between the ipads are 64/128 gb

Thanks

----------------------------------------

10/25 update:

Ok,

So I went to the Apple store today.

I showed the guy the issue on my 128 Silver LTE.

He said "wow" and picked up the ipad. He was able to see it VERY EASY. He said "that's not right, lets get you another"

So he brings out the new 1 and sure enough the new 1 did it also. However the new 1 only does it in the middle spot on the right. The one I brought in does it on the entire right side.

We then went over to the display units and ALL of them did it. He said that he will let his manager know.

I then asked if I could keep the new one that does it less and he said sure.

So Apple was VERY nice about the entire thing. The guys was super nice. He also took notes to forward to the repair team. He asked if they could contact me with any questions and I said sure.

In the end I'm VERY happy with my iPad air 2. This is NOT a deal breaker for me. I just needed my last one traded out because the problem was much worst then my new 1.

I just needed to be sure I didn't have a defective unit.

Anyone with this issue in just 1 or 2 spots, Id say you got a good 1. If it doesn't bother you, you should keep it.

Anyone with the issue in more then 2 spots on the right I'd suggest you exchange it.

PS- side note. beyond this issue, The ipad air 2 is great. Of all 3 I had, all 3 had great screens.. No yellow/pixel/spine issues.

osak20.jpg

11b4xhi.jpg

----------------------------

10/26

ISSUE CONFIRMED:

Consumer Reports now says it happens:

"In fact, the Air 2 is so thin that you can depress the screen from the back of the device. You know how poking an LCD with a fingertip produces a temporary distortion, a small puddle of color? The same thing happens on the Air 2 if you press it from behind—there's no reason to think this will damage the device.)"

So if you support enough weight of the ipad air 2 on your fingers it acts like you're pressing the ipad and it happens.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/10/happy-with-your-current-ipad-skip-the-air-2/index.htm

Last edited:

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Air 2 Screen distoring when holding.

I see it. More noticeable in the right side of the screen. And weird thing is it appears to be only one spot as I can put pressure on the back below and above the spot on the screen yet it shows up in the same place on the display as if pressure on the back gets transferred to this single point.

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
Do you think this is something I should be concerned about? Or should I just roll with it and have Apple replace it in the future if something goes wrong?

maintainin

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
I can get it to do it on mine but I have to press harder than I normally would with normal use. Due to the thinness I'm sure.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Do you think this is something I should be concerned about? Or should I just roll with it and have Apple replace it in the future if something goes wrong?

I wouldn't worry....YET. Like you said, if it turns into an issue, Apple will swap it out for you.

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
I guess I'll just see how it goes then. I mean if others can see it then it must be a "trippy" hidden feature. I mean If I returned, I would buy the same product. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't just me.

Thanks!

----------

It's also way noticeable with slight pressure through the apple smart case.

This is how I noticed it. Its almost as if the smart case extra weight puts to much pressure on the back when holding with just your right hand.

Bugdozer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
I am glad somebody else posted about this so I'm not losing my mind. I noticed it on the right-hand side of my screen with just normal pressure of holding it. It's most noticeable when on a dark image like when I was looking at night photos from my past trip. I got my iPad air and check to see if it did it on that with normal way of holding it and it does not. It appears to only do it on the air 2. Like others have said it only seems to be on one side but in my case I'm not pressing hard and I notice it it almost makes that area of the screen seem wavy. Was debating whether not I should make a genius appointment I have never had to exchange in iPhone or iPad ever.

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
It seems like the board inside is touching the screen slightly causing the problem. I don't see this issue at all on the left.

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
I wonder if i'm seeing the issue more on my 128 over the 64 because more chips = more chance of touching. :eek:

Do they use more chips in the 128 over 64? Or do they just use larger chips?

maintainin

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
I wonder if i'm seeing the issue more on my 128 over the 64 because more chips = more chance of touching. :eek:

Do they use more chips in the 128 over 64? Or do they just use larger chips?

Same result either way really. If I had to guess its probably just double the memory chips over a 64.

dogbiskit2

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2008
I see it. More noticeable in the right side of the screen. And weird thing is it appears to be only one spot as I can put pressure on the back below and above the spot on the screen yet it shows up in the same place on the display as if pressure on the back gets transferred to this single point.

I just got my iPad today as well and am seeing the same thing. I first noticed it when I picked it up in portrait mode with my right hand (with the smart cover hanging off the left, adding a bit of weight). When I'm just holding it statically, the weight of the iPad doesn't make the distortion appear. But if I just adjust the iPad's position in my hand, the added dynamic force will make it show up.

Here's a pic of what I see. It's the 2 dark spots under the right side of the search box (the image is a bit blurry because I had to be moving to catch the distortion). As Andyw mentioned, no matter where I press, the distortion stays in that spot.

IMG_6521.JPG

I was going to try and exchange it at an apple store (2 hour drive :( ) but now I'm concerned it might be a widespread "feature".

Edit:
Hmmm, I just realized that you guys were talking about it happening on a "dark" screen instead....

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I noticed this today while trying out the Air 2 at the store.

In normal use, it shouldn't be a problem, but there is only so thin they can go before other side effects crop up.

Apple, as skilled as they are, still has to abide by the laws of physics.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
I just got my iPad today as well and am seeing the same thing. I first noticed it when I picked it up in portrait mode with my right hand (with the smart cover hanging off the left, adding a bit of weight). When I'm just holding it statically, the weight of the iPad doesn't make the distortion appear. But if I just adjust the iPad's position in my hand, the added dynamic force will make it show up.

Here's a pic of what I see. It's the 2 dark spots under the right side of the search box (the image is a bit blurry because I had to be moving to catch the distortion). As Andyw mentioned, no matter where I press, the distortion stays in that spot.

View attachment 508352

I was going to try and exchange it at an apple store (2 hour drive :( ) but now I'm concerned it might be a widespread "feature".

Edit:
Hmmm, I just realized that you guys were talking about it happening on a "dark" screen instead....

This is exactly how it happens. Also I get it in about 5 spots on my 128 model. I get it in 1 spot on my 64.

Also I don't "notice" it on white screens. I see it VERY easy on any dark screen. It looks exactly like you are showing.

maintainin

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
I can reproduce it if i press harder than normal on the back but not during normal use. BUT, I do not have mine in a case yet.

I'm guessing there isn't/won't be a fix for this. Not in this exact model anyway. It's due to the thinness. I mentioned in another thread about the battery shrinkage that I'm not a fan of Apple continually trying to decrease the thinness with every new generation. Another strike against thinning it out.

Here's what we get with Apple shaving off a millimeter in this version...

1)lost the mute/rotate button
2)Smaller battery. I have personally seen a larger discharge rate. My ipad air 2 is down to 65% this evening when in my Air it would be around 75% at least with similar usage. Several reviews I've read also state battery time is less.
3)Now this screen issue. Don't see how it cant be due to the decreased thickness. These screen distortions are classic signs of an lcd screen being stressed.

The ipad Air thickness was fine. I do love this Air 2 and wont be returning it. But Apple needs to rethink trying to get these ipads thinner and thinner. Next casualty wil lbe the standard headphone jack.

Last edited:

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Amazing what I learn from reading the forums. Yes all 5 in my household do this.

Funny how it's always in the same place. Right side of the screen half way down about in inch in. My original air does it in the exact same place just not as easily.

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
I can reproduce it if i press harder than normal on the back but not during normal use. BUT, I do not have mine in a case yet.

I'm guessing there isn't/won't be a fix for this. Not in this exact model anyway. It's due to the thinness. I mentioned in another thread about the battery shrinkage that I'm not a fan of Apple continually trying to decrease the thinness with every new generation. Another strike against thinning it out.

Here's what we get with Apple shaving off a millimeter in this version...

1)lost the mute/rotate button
2)Smaller battery. I have personally seen a larger discharge rate. Several reviews I've read also state battery time is less.
3)Now this screen issue. Don't see how it cant be to the decreased thickness. These screen distortions are classic signs of an lcd screen being stressed.

The ipad Air thickness was fine.

Yeah I didn't notice until I put a case on. The extra weight of a case made the issue pop. If I handle carefully it doesn't happen. But holding iPad 1 hand on right mid-bottom the weight really is to much.

It seems like the iPad is flexing slightly and the board is pressing on the fused screen.

I think I will keep mine for now. I plan to visit an Apple store to see if the display models do this. If so I'll just keep it. But if most don't I'll exchange.

----------

Amazing what I learn from reading the forums. Yes all 5 in my household do this.

Funny how it's always in the same place. Right side of the screen half way down about in inch in. My original air does it in the exact same place just not as easily.

I wish I never noticed it. I was happy until I put the case on and saw it. Now my OCD is kicking into over drive.

And I'm not the type to complain about screen colors or spine issues. But this is just odd/crazy.

PS. I could not get my original air to do it.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
It happens with the original just takes 10x more pressure. Exact same spot too. Doesn't happen during normal use but I agree Apple needs to get over this thin crap. Bending, discoloration. It's becomming ridicules.
Yeah I didn't notice until I put a case on. The extra weight of a case made the issue pop. If I handle carefully it doesn't happen. But holding iPad 1 hand on right mid-bottom the weight really is to much.

It seems like the iPad is flexing slightly and the board is pressing on the fused screen.

I think I will keep mine for now. I plan to visit an Apple store to see if the display models do this. If so I'll just keep it. But if most don't I'll exchange.

----------

I wish I never noticed it. I was happy until I put the case on and saw it. Now my OCD is kicking into over drive.

And I'm not the type to complain about screen colors or spine issues. But this is just odd/crazy.

PS. I could not get my original air to do it.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
likewise, I have been trying to hold/grip it and the screen stays the same, no distortion
64gb lte as well

My 64LTE does it in just a very small spot. I notice it more when I hold it with the case "not cover" on it. Just a slight wiggle, like a fan motion cause it to appear for me. The act of picking it up on the right also make it appear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.