Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
I have a SG iPhone 6. The glass is so scratched at this point; it's littered with scratches.

I use a Spigen case on the back. I put it in my pocket. It has not been mistreated.

For reference, my iPod touch 2nd gen and my iPhone 4s are still flawless. My OnePlus doesn't have these problems with the same treatment...

Should I go replace it? It's not accidental damage at this point...

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Normally scratches aren't covered under warranty. Good luck trying to get that replaced at the Genius bar.

justindavis098

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2014
I could tell that these screens were going to scratch a lot easier. Tempered glass screen protector. No worries after that is on.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
I could tell that these screens were going to scratch a lot easier. Tempered glass screen protector. No worries after that is on.

Yeah, could I convince Apple store to do a glass replacement?

$25 online for the glass...could I get them to swap it for me, then stick a Zagg on it?

nbuubu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
My last iPhone 6 had a scratch on the screen very quickly, and I similarly babied the phone. No idea how it happened.

That was my fourth replacement iPhone 6. It also started shutting down randomly and crashing this week. Apple store just replaced it, and I got my fifth iPhone 6 home only to notice a black speck of dust under the glass.

Just made an appointment to get my sixth iPhone 6. Six times the charm?

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
No, I'm saying that the screen isn't durable enough for day-to-day use.

You must be the expert on the durability of phones.

Since you are stating as a fact that the iPhone 6 "isn't durable enough for day-to-day use" then why would you replace it with the same device that you say "isn't durable enough for day-to-day use"?

Seems very suspicious to me. Almost like the damage was due to negligence and you are trying to get a free replacement.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I don't think it's the glass that's the problem. It's the coating that is scratching. Perhaps Apple used a different formula for the coating. In time, the coating will wear off and with it, the scratches will disappear. My 5S had a few scratches on the screen too. I put a screen protector on my Plus. There are a few minor scratches along the edges, but at least the screen itself will remain scratch free.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
You must be the expert on the durability of phones.

Since you are stating as a fact that the iPhone 6 "isn't durable enough for day-to-day use" then why would you replace it with the same device that you say "isn't durable enough for day-to-day use"?

Seems very suspicious to me. Almost like the damage was due to negligence and you are trying to get a free replacement.

Why would I make a forum post about it?

I've posted links regarding this same issue

exizeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
I don't think it's the glass that's the problem. It's the coating that is scratching. Perhaps Apple used a different formula for the coating. In time, the coating will wear off and with it, the scratches will disappear. My 5S had a few scratches on the screen too. I put a screen protector on my Plus. There are a few minor scratches along the edges, but at least the screen itself will remain scratch free.

Ha, two big scratches right down the middle.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Um, you are the one who started the thread titled "iPhone 6, easily scratched oleophobic coating" You did not say glass. Big big difference.

I have scratches in the oleo phobic coating in the middle. And on the top.

Sorry for any confusion.

Hopefully they will go away with time....or I'll spend $109 on a replacement display.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I have scratches in the oleo phobic coating in the middle. And on the top.

Sorry for any confusion.

Hopefully they will go away with time....or I'll spend $109 on a replacement display.

If they don't start fading in the next few months, then it is the glass. I would replace the glass too at that point or right before you sell it.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
Odd. Mine isn't scratching. I saw someone on YouTube run a key along the screen and it didn't noticeably scratch. Maybe bad luck or having too much in the pocket or something? One of the biggest selling points of Apple products has always been the build quality.

Just having an iPhone 6 for a week this would almost scare me a little except for knowing it's been perfect thus far.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
They will be more noticeable on the black bezel vs the white bezel.

True. I could see scratches on my black 4 much more easily than I could on my white 4S.

That said, I've been using my 6 Plus with no screen protection since launch day and I can't see a single scratch on mine.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Odd. Mine isn't scratching. I saw someone on YouTube run a key along the screen and it didn't noticeably scratch. Maybe bad luck or having too much in the pocket or something? One of the biggest selling points of Apple products has always been the build quality.

Just having an iPhone 6 for a week this would almost scare me a little except for knowing it's been perfect thus far.

A key really shouldn't do much harm, or even a knife. Metal is softer than the glass, so it shouldn't scratch it. I think the biggest culprit is sand and dirt, minerals and such that are harder than the glass. Especially if a tiny peice gets on to the screen while wiping it. I think people who are obsessive about wiping away fingerprints are doing more harm than good.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
Mine is in a case at all times. In my car, it's in a cradle connected to my stereo system. Walking around it's in my pocket, always alone, I never keep anything else in my phone pocket. I never sit with it, I either set it on my desk or at home on my nightstand. And mine has several fine scratches on it. Compared to my other iPhones, this one has scratched easily, in barely three weeks.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Mine is in a case at all times. In my car, it's in a cradle connected to my stereo system. Walking around it's in my pocket, always alone, I never keep anything else in my phone pocket. I never sit with it, I either set it on my desk or at home on my nightstand. And mine has several fine scratches on it. Compared to my other iPhones, this one has scratched easily, in barely three weeks.

Yep.

I have a dedicated phone pocket. No keys with me in that pocket. I have a case on the back.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
A key really shouldn't do much harm, or even a knife. Metal is softer than the glass, so it shouldn't scratch it. I think the biggest culprit is sand and dirt, minerals and such that are harder than the glass. Especially if a tiny peice gets on to the screen while wiping it. I think people who are obsessive about wiping away fingerprints are doing more harm than good.

Yeah, I think this is close to the truth. I'd be interested in seeing the geographic distribution of the scratched screen cases too. I'm nowhere near any sand, for example, and screen scratching is almost never an issue for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.