Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vero-D

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
Chicago
My old MacBook (mid 2007) running Snow Leopard has died. I just got a new MBP Retina running Yosemite.

Now, I have a few questions that I googled for answers, but I am still confused. I would appreciate any help, guide, orientation.

(1) Will I have problems restoring from Time Machine, created on a MB Snow Leopard, to a new MBP running Yosemite?

(2) Should I say yes when the set up assistant ask me to "restore from a back up"?

My goal is to have all the files, apps, and configuration from my old Mac (passwords, iPhone on iTunes, etc) into the new one keeping the new OS.

Is that possible? I'm sorry if this question is already around, I know Yosemite is pretty new and I am unaware of the difference with any other OS.

Thanks in advance for your help.

nyrblue35

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
My old MacBook (mid 2007) running Snow Leopard has died. I just got a new MBP Retina running Yosemite.

Now, I have a few questions that I googled for answers, but I am still confused. I would appreciate any help, guide, orientation.

(1) Will I have problems restoring from Time Machine, created on a MB Snow Leopard, to a new MBP running Yosemite?

(2) Should I say yes when the set up assistant ask me to "restore from a back up"?

My goal is to have all the files, apps, and configuration from my old Mac (passwords, iPhone on iTunes, etc) into the new one keeping the new OS.

Is that possible? I'm sorry if this question is already around, I know Yosemite is pretty new and I am unaware of the difference with any other OS.

Thanks in advance for your help.

This is just a bump and for me to tell you I just replaced my hard drive on my Macbook Pro. I was running Yosemite and had a full time machine backup. Well I am sticking with Mavericks for now on the newly installed drive and I cannot restore using time machine. It complains it was created with a different OS. I tried using Migration assistant and even booted from my OS cd and tried restoring backup from TM. At this point I will probably just suck it up and restore stuff manually but was curious if there is a way out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.