Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
I'm trying to decide which setup would best suit my needs. A dual 20" ACD setup or one 23".

I will be using them on an Intel PowerMac, using the machine for digital photography (Aperture and Photoshop CS), Writing, Light graphic design, Studio MX 04, the usual (iTunes, Mail, iCal, ect).

The 2 20" displays come out cheaper then the 23" in New Zealand. Which do you think is the best suiting what i am doing at the Mac?

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
iGary said:
Single 23, you need the height.

How did I know you would say one monitor ;) I kind of agree, the height will benefit me.

When you had the two 20"s, what did you like about them, and what didn't you like about them?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Glenn Wolsey said:
How did I know you would say one monitor ;) I kind of agree, the height will benefit me.

When you had the two 20"s, what did you like about them, and what didn't you like about them?

I liked that I could have windows all overteh place (lots of horizontal real estate) but I still couldn't open a 12MP image over 33%.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
BakedBeans said:
A dell 24 or two :)

No thanks, I hate Dell, absolutely hate them. And yes, I have tried their 24" monitors, they just look so cheap and tacky with the black rim, compare that to the ACD. I want to stick with the Apple stuff.

Sorry Dell monitor lovers, I'm just not one of them...

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Glenn Wolsey said:
No thanks, I hate Dell, absolutely hate them. And yes, I have tried their 24" monitors, they just look so cheap and tacky with the black rim, compare that to the ACD. I want to stick with the Apple stuff.

Sorry Dell monitor lovers, I'm just not one of them...

No need to apologize - just having 2 24 inch displays is better than having 1 23 inch display.

Apple displays look amazing but unless you're getting a 30 inch they are steeply priced in comparison.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
BakedBeans said:
No need to apologize - just having 2 24 inch displays is better than having 1 23 inch display.

Apple displays look amazing but unless you're getting a 30 inch they are steeply priced in comparison.

I do agree for value, but I like style too :)

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Glenn Wolsey said:
I do agree for value, but I like style too :)

You wouldnt be a Mac user otherwise ;)

The dells dont look to bad - but they are not anywhere near the apples - for looks that is.

Anyway - the larger monitor is nice - but so is duals because you can put your palettes on another screen;.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Eh, I have 3 Dell LCD's at work all from different revisions. Two 17" LCD's which is our standard order and a 19" one in the middle of the two. With the right color profile the 19" and 17" are BARELY off.

I have now clue why we ordered a 19" LCD. We never do.

I'm saving up for a 20.1" Widescreen Dell LCD and an Intel Power Mac.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
get one 23". Two displays on one videocard will split the power if the ram and processing of the videocard. You'll notice this especially when doing 3d work and gaming. I always used to work on two displays (one 20" and a 17"), now I just have the 20" because of gaming. The performance is soooo much better! But I'm planning to upgrade to a new 23" ACD when they release new ones, was hoping that Apple would release them at MWSF. But I expect them now in March. The ACD line is way overdue for an upgrade!

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Remember that the 23" have had lots of complaints of a pink tint and poorer colour representation than the 20"

I've no idea if these issues were solved, or how widespread they were. But I remember a lot of vocal people about the pink hue.

AppleMatt

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Agreed - pick up one (or two!) 24" dell monitors. I really don't think the look is that bad if you have a black keyboard.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Hmmm....

Aluminium beautifulness:

indexcompdisplay06282004-03.jpg

Or:

20053YR.jpg

Just don't look at the back!

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
I've never used a dell, but you can't argue with the price.

That being said, if money isn't a big deal I'd recommend the 23" ACD. I have one, and I love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.