Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Has anyone else encountered a Finder bug where the window will default to a short window with narrow sidebar? Since Mavericks I have have my Finder window a certain size with the sidebar a certain width and in Yosemite it will randomly change back to a truncated size.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2006
I am constantly having to resize my windows. No matter how many times I resize and set as default, it just reverts back to a smaller 'default size'.

Doesn't seem to matter where the first Finder window is opened from (i.e. opening a window from double clicking a drive icon on desktop or by clicking Finder in the dock).

Anyone else experiencing this other that us two?

venividivigor

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
I have. It used to do it constantly, and after repairing my disk, it only resizes when I plug in or eject peripherals.

But I found a somewhat fix... When the window resizes, force quit finder and the size you had last comes back when you reopen finder

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i keep setting up a default 'command-N"...and it keeps reverting to a smaller window. minor issue, but hope it's sorted out in 10.10.1....

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2006
Are any of you guys using any window tools that have features like window snapping?

I am using BetterTouchTool and have considered that the window snapping function may be playing a part. Have emailed the developer to see if he has had any other reports.

Of course if it is happening to any of you and you don't use any of these types of tools then it is clearly not BTT.

HaruAoki

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
Australia
I had had that problem a couple of times with the finder window, restarting normaly help. Also has this just happened since update 10.10 or was this happening before ? or on other versions of Mac OS X ?

I have a question is the computer meant to remember the finder window size after restarting or do it have to change it each time ?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Thanks for the replies. The fact that it only happens with the Home folder sounds plausible. I have my finder set to open to the Home folder, but folder's on the desktop open normally.

HaruAoki

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
Australia
Thanks for the replies. The fact that it only happens with the Home folder sounds plausible. I have my finder set to open to the Home folder, but folder's on the desktop open normally.

That weired, I have not tried the home folder finder window yet with os x 10.10 I will try it and get back to you if I have the problem.

BlueLux

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
Thank God for this thread. I thought I was going crazy, as I thought this only happened to me. Searched through the Apple.com forums without finding anyone else with this Finder-problem! Ever since updating to Yosemite, my Finder has been reverting its window size to default at random, with no obvious patterns or reasons. Only relaunching Finder helps (not even restarting). This has not been fixed with 10.10.1. I have had this bug on my iMac, rMBP and Mac mini.

But after reading this thread, I realized that on all my devices, I have set Finder to open new windows at Home. I have changed this to one level up, and Finder has been acting normally ever since. Don't understand why this only happens when I set to Home on new window, though.

And I'm curious to why not so many people seem to have been affected by this. I would think that most people like to have Finder start at Home, where all the folders are...

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Thank God for this thread. I thought I was going crazy, as I thought this only happened to me. Searched through the Apple.com forums without finding anyone else with this Finder-problem! Ever since updating to Yosemite, my Finder has been reverting its window size to default at random, with no obvious patterns or reasons. Only relaunching Finder helps (not even restarting). This has not been fixed with 10.10.1. I have had this bug on my iMac, rMBP and Mac mini.

But after reading this thread, I realized that on all my devices, I have set Finder to open new windows at Home. I have changed this to one level up, and Finder has been acting normally ever since. Don't understand why this only happens when I set to Home on new window, though.

And I'm curious to why not so many people seem to have been affected by this. I would think that most people like to have Finder start at Home, where all the folders are...

You'd be surprised how many people don't care about changing finder to look nice or organized or even resized. They just go with default

Shattentor

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
I was so hoping for this issue to be fixed in 10.1, but it hasn't changed a bit. Restarting Finder helps, but I can't imagine why this is still not being fixed!?

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Has anyone else encountered a Finder bug where the window will default to a short window with narrow sidebar? Since Mavericks I have have my Finder window a certain size with the sidebar a certain width and in Yosemite it will randomly change back to a truncated size.

It drove me crazy, until xgman posted this solution. Works like a charm:

If you run out of options, a free app called Finder Minder (google it) opens Finder windows in the exact same size and position as you set. Benn using it for years since OSX eventually forgets the last Finder position and size pretty easily.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
I fixed it by reverting to Mavericks. :)

I am glad to hear that. :)
Nevertheless, after reboot you will still have the small Finder window when you open it. I use Mavericks myself. My Finder window could keep the set size for 2 days max. But after reboot in all cases it reverted to the small window. With FinderMinder this problem is also gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.