Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
I've had a LG G2 for about a week now after debating between this phone and iphone 6. Previously I was using an iphone 4 for several months, and androids before that. Thought I'd give this phone a whirl, and am now trying to decide whether to stay with this new phone or not.

PROS

1. Notification light. This is a big issue for me, the biggest one that drove me to android -- and it's even better than I expected. I've set it to glow steadily if there's a notification, and it's been a transformative experience. I no longer miss messages and no longer pick up the phone 50 times a day to turn it on to check for messages. Sooo much more efficient and delightful to live this way.

2. Swifkey is great. All the keys I need are right there on the main keyboard, and it works very well. I'm much faster at texting now. In fact, messaging in general can be accomplished a lot quicker on Android than iphone, but no surprise there, as iphone generally takes more steps to accomplish almost every task than an Android does.

3. Love the weather widget I've got on my home page, and love that that the nice big, easy to see alarm app doesn't ask me to press 'edit' every day just to adjust the time, and I can choose how long to snooze for.

4. Lock screen shortcuts, or not using a lock screen at all. Very nice.

5. Love that that the outgoing text doesn't make some pointless, annoying, and confusing sound when I press send. That was driving me nuts on iphone, and having to always use my phone in vibrate to avoid it was not acceptable.

CONS:

1. It's more glitchy than iphone. Things might close unexpectantly, or I might find myself on some strange screen and not know how I got there. I expect there may be niggling issues here and there always. Everything is just a little more complex. iphone couldn't do much, but at least it always behaved as it was supposed to.

2. The stock messaging app is lame, and the text size can't get nearly as big as iphone (or Samsung for that matter), which I need for my aging eyes. This means using different third party apps for both email and texting, and these apps don't look as nice or work quite as smoothly as iphone.

3. More annoying notifications and other such business. I don't want any prompts to show up asking me if I'd like to connect to nearby wifi networks and such things. Just leave me be, phone. I'll come to you if I need something.

4. It's a beautiful phone with a lovely big screen, but in most areas, my aging eyes find iphone to be easier on the eyes and nicer looking in general.

5. It's a little heavier and bigger than iphone 6, which is not a plus.

CONCLUSIONS:

It's a tough call. The notification light is a literal life changer and there's some other lovely things, but the glitches spook me. Very undecided.

iPhone is like a beautiful girl who knows how to cook and clean very well, but is otherwise dumb as a post with few other skills.

Android is a tempestuous woman, lively, accomplished in so many areas, well-read, brilliant, capable of whipping up elaborate feasts -- but also capable of burning toast, throwing frying pans at you when you least expect it, and otherwise being a high maintenance mistress.

Which do I want?

Last edited:

fsfty

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2014
LG G2? The phone is 2 years old and leaps behind my beloved LG G3. Just sayin'...

iWozinator

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
PROS

1. Notification light. This is a big issue for me, the biggest one that drove me to android -- and it's even better than I expected. I've set it to glow steadily if there's a notification, and it's been a transformative experience. I no longer miss messages and no longer pick up the phone 50 times a day to turn it on to check for messages. Sooo much more efficient and delightful to live this way.

1990 says welcome back

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I've had a LG G2 for about a week now after debating between this phone and iphone 6. Previously I was using an iphone 4 for several months, and androids before that. Thought I'd give this phone a whirl, and am now trying to decide whether to stay with this new phone or not.

PROS

2. Swifkey is great. All the keys I need are right there on the main keyboard, and it works very well. I'm much faster at texting now. In fact, messaging in general can be accomplished a lot quicker on Android than iphone, but no surprise there, as iphone generally takes more steps to accomplish almost every task than an Android does.

3. Love the weather widget I've got on my home page, and love that that the nice big, easy to see alarm app doesn't ask me to press 'edit' every day just to adjust the time, and I can choose how long to snooze for.

4. Lock screen shortcuts, or not using a lock screen at all. Very nice.

5. Love that that the outgoing text doesn't make some pointless, annoying, and confusing sound when I press send. That was driving me nuts on iphone, and having to always use my phone in vibrate to avoid it was not acceptable.

CONS:

1. It's more glitchy than iphone. Things might close unexpectantly, or I might find myself on some strange screen and not know how I got there. I expect there may be niggling issues here and there always. Everything is just a little more complex. iphone couldn't do much, but at least it always behaved as it was supposed to.

2. The stock messaging app is lame, and the text size can't get nearly as big as iphone (or Samsung for that matter), which I need for my aging eyes. This means using different third party apps for both email and texting, and these apps don't look as nice or work quite as smoothly as iphone.

3. More annoying notifications and other such business. I don't want any prompts to show up asking me if I'd like to connect to nearby wifi networks and such things. Just leave me be, phone. I'll come to you if I need something.

4. It's a beautiful phone with a lovely big screen, but in most areas, my aging eyes find iphone to be easier on the eyes and nicer looking in general.

CONCLUSIONS:

It's a tough call. The notification light is a literal life changer and there's some other lovely things, but the glitches spook me. Very undecided.

iPhone is like a beautiful girl who knows how to cook and clean very well, but is otherwise dumb as a post with few other skills.

Android is a tempestuous woman, lively, accomplished in so many areas, well-read, brilliant, capable of whipping up elaborate feasts -- but also capable of burning toast, throwing frying pans at you when you least expect it, and otherwise being a high maintenance mistress.

Which do I want?

Agree with the notification light!

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
What you're looking for is down just a tad :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011

Which do I want?

I gotta applaud at least your attempt at the metaphor skills, this cracked me up good.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
iPhone is a woman solely dedicated to one man who will occasionally "bend" over backwards for you...especially if she's "plus-sized."

Android is a woman who'se got a lot more talent and capability in the bedroom but she's involved in many, many "open" relationships with a lot of different men and is very prone to having instability and mental breakdowns.

:D

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I do wish the iPhone had a better notification system. Lighting up the screen once or twice isn't a vague notification and battery killer. Doesn't even have to be a notification light, just a something better like active notifications.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I do wish the iPhone had a better notification system. Lighting up the screen once or twice isn't a vague notification and battery killer. Doesn't even have to be a notification light, just a something better like active notifications.

Agree with the notification light!

so you want a notification light that you then have to touch the phone screen to wake the phone up to see what it was?

as opposed to a screen that lights up and shows you what arrives?

I don't get why you want a notification light because its only useful in one situation. when you missed a text or call.

Personally I don't want an iLookatme distress beacon flashing away on my phone

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
LG G2? The phone is 2 years old and leaps behind my beloved LG G3. Just sayin'...

Leaps behind? Let's take a closer look:

The G3 scores 2761 in Geekbench 3 Multicore, whereas the G2 scores 2271. So a little over 20% bump, which I wouldn't consider leaps.
Anyhow let's come to the fun part:
The G3 prominently sports a 1440p display, with 534 ppi. You can debate if this step is perceptible, but you cannot debate those facts:
The g2 display's brightness is measured at 409 nits, the G3's at 379. The G2 achieves 24.1 fps on GFXBench, but the G3 only 20.5. On top the G2 lasts 10.7 hours of web browsing on wifi and the G3? 8.7 hours, despite the fact that it needs 0.2 hours longer to be fully charged.
Not talking about overheating and performance drop's, reported by users, LG really should stop aiming for meaningless specs.

Just sayin'...

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I do love how so many iPhone users on this site are so anti notification lights!

One of the best features for me and certainly wouldnt be able to go to a phone without one.

----------

CONS:

1) Ive had the LG G2 for a year now and personally never noticed any glitches - especially apps closing or ending up and strange screens. Very peculiar.

2) ChompSMS - Absolutely beautiful and feature rich.

3) Cant help for the wifi notifications, however for apps you can disable them from showing notifications if you dont want them to.

4) Pass

5) Its only slightly larger then the iphone6 - but bear in mind the LG G2 has a 5.2inch Full HD screen as opposed to the iPhone6 with a 4.7inch screen.

Horses for courses really. Sounds like you want to go back to the iPhone, however only you can answer that.

sparky08

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
I do love how so many iPhone users on this site are so anti notification lights!

One of the best features for me and certainly wouldnt be able to go to a phone without one.

Agreed. I have a separate color for work email, personal email, text, low battery, and poor signal.

Very useful.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I've had a LG G2 for about a week now after ...

CONS:

I might find myself on some strange screen and not know how I got there.

you just need more time to get to know the new os. it isnt ios anymore and thinks are done differently. there are more options, different way to handle apps, notifications, settings for each apps...

I don't want any prompts to show up asking me if I'd like to connect to nearby wifi networks and such things. Just leave me be, phone. I'll come to you if I need something.

start turning these features off and the phone leaves you alone...

Which do I want?

more important question is will you want to learn or stay in old... when you know it, you will know the answer...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.