Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Can anyone confirm if the Apple SIM works in an older iPad? I would be interested in grabbing one for my LTE Mini so that I can have the option to use Sprint when I go somewhere without great T-Mo coverage.

From what I understand, the SIM itself can be purchased from an Apple retail store for $5, so it's just a matter of whether or not it will work.

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
The issue isn't necessarily the SIM, it's that older iPads aren't universal, and one from another carrier may not cover the cellular bands that you need to access another's network.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
Can anyone confirm if the Apple SIM works in an older iPad? I would be interested in grabbing one for my LTE Mini so that I can have the option to use Sprint when I go somewhere without great T-Mo coverage.

From what I understand, the SIM itself can be purchased from an Apple retail store for $5, so it's just a matter of whether or not it will work.

It works but only once it's provisioned to a carrier

I tested and confirmed

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
The issue isn't necessarily the SIM, it's that older iPads aren't universal, and one from another carrier may not cover the cellular bands that you need to access another's network.

I believe the Retina Mini and Air 1 are universal with the exception that they needs to be activated specially by Verizon for their network. I bought an ATT mini and I use it just fine on T-Mo.

It works but only once it's provisioned to a carrier

I tested and confirmed

Awesome, thanks.

Last edited:

walt7788

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Ahh never mind-- I see a previous post that answers my question. Thanks

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.