Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Hmm, if this is a common issue I would expect it wo be a firmware fix for it pretty soon

----------

Doesn't matter youtube is only 30 FPS

Man, its still slow mo :) 120fps converted to 30 fps will still hold the same speedrate.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
It's going to need a bit more than a firmware fix... ;)

I would think that if it happens some times, not always, it has to be something thats possible to fix with code. But, of course if it happens every time, then its more worrysome

Sunday Ironfoot

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
Have you tried it with a different webpage? Try the Google homepage, I'm thinking it may have something to do with the Flash videos on Youtube.

Also does this happen with other applications, or just Safari?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Well there will be arguments about the 5K display being too much for the GPU, but it honestly seems like OS optimization issues. I've had a UI buts and occasional graphic issues on my rMBP since updating to Yosemite.

lscangus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Newcastle, UK
GUYS! Problem solved!

The problem has to be related to my user account. Once I have created and log into a brand new account. It is as smooth as silk. For now. Will keep you guys updated.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
GUYS! Problem solved!

The problem has to be related to my user account. Once I have created and log into a brand new account. It is as smooth as silk. For now. Will keep you guys updated.

For everyone I know who has tried that it went right back to doing it after a short while.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Return it and see if a new one helps.

If its the m290x they all do it. I've been through 3 everyone had the problem. I talked to a genius at my local store and he said he's seen quite a few come back with the issue.

aggri1

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
If its the m290x they all do it. I've been through 3 everyone had the problem. I talked to a genius at my local store and he said he's seen quite a few come back with the issue.

Hi YouTube video is captioned "I7 with upgrade GPU".

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
Is it normal when scrolling through a web page, theres a bit of lag/hesitation. Basically the page doesnt scroll smoothly especially when first entering a new page.

GolferChris68

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012

With all the pixels in this display, that's why I chose the highest GPU option (m295x). Even so, it's not the fastest display. But it is very crisp and clear.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
My off-the-cuff guess would be a driver issue - that type of graphic tearing is usually driver related. With the newness of such ultra-high resolution, it wouldn't surprise me if there are a few learning curve glitches that take a few patches over the next couple months to sort out.

(I'm waiting for my annual bonus, then I'll be getting the same i7+M295X model. Still debating on if I want to go through the effort of opening and upgrading the hard drive myself to something bigger than 3 TB (and rebuild the Fusion array,) or if I'll just make do with external storage.)

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
anyone has similar issue?

Well, I grabbed my iPhone and steeled myself for the bad news, thinking I might possibly have missed it, but I could not reproduce this issue (i5/M290X).

With constant wiggling back and forth of the youtube page I just got the occasional (once every 5 seconds) appearance of strobing/tearing right along the right edge of the window, like a frame drop. I don't think I would ever have noticed it myself. Nothing like the inside the window repeatedly filling in piecemeal, that's pretty severe in my opinion.

sorry man, I think it's going to have to be repaired.

habeebhashim

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Singapore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS7l8E5Rpd4&list=UU0h9FEjQ0lCFnusSzlPZOeg

I have bought the iMac 5k. But I have noticed sometimes there are graphic shuttering when rendering the interface. Please have a look at the video and see if anyone has similar issue.

PS. Video was a 120FPS Slow-mo

A

ugh... that looks terrible. I don't have this problem on my i7/m295X. Even with Mission Control which has been an issue with my rMBP before.

Good that a user reset fixed it for you. Hopefully it won't come back. But I think an AppleCare is needed... just in case.

----------

Well, I grabbed my iPhone and steeled myself for the bad news, thinking I might possibly have missed it, but I could not reproduce this issue (i5/M290X).

With constant wiggling back and forth of the youtube page I just got the occasional (once every 5 seconds) appearance of strobing/tearing right along the right edge of the window, like a frame drop. I don't think I would ever have noticed it myself. Nothing like the inside the window repeatedly filling in piecemeal, that's pretty severe in my opinion.

sorry man, I think it's going to have to be repaired.

I tried it just now on the rMBP to see if I can induce a similar effect. Nothing. This is a 1st-gen base 2012 rMBP (yes, the one that many people have issues with)

Will you try replacing or upgrading your 5K cos of this?

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
----------

[/COLOR]

I tried it just now on the rMBP to see if I can induce a similar effect. Nothing. This is a 1st-gen base 2012 rMBP (yes, the one that many people have issues with)

Will you try replacing or upgrading your 5K cos of this?

Oh, no, that's not what I meant. :eek: I was making a suggestion to lscangus to repair his.

This glitch of an occasional dropped frame is so minor I would never think about it again.

We're talking about .5cm strip of tearing right at the edge of the window, only after much contrived wiggling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.