Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
I don't/won't use a passcode or Touch ID because I don't want to have to do anything to unlock my phone, is there anyway to still use apple pay?

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
I don't get why I can't just use touch id IN apple pay but not have to use it for lock screen

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I don't get why I can't just use touch id IN apple pay but not have to use it for lock screen

It was a huge dissapointment for me also as I am not locking down my phone so I can use Apple Pay either. Not worth the trouble for me.

Apple could have made it work for people like you if they would have allowed you to lock down the app rather than the whole phone.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
Why wouldn't you want to use TouchID? It saves a step when unlocking your phone

You have to press the home or power button to wake the phone up to then "swipe to unlock" - why not just hold your finger down and let TouchID unlock it?

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London

I think it is because if someone stole your phone they'd be able to enrol their finger prints and use your card (without any pass code protection).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its a security feature since someone can pick up the phone and start buying stuff.

While a handful a people don't care for this level of security, apple would have been eviscerated if they left such a huge security hole open on the iPhone.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I'm still using the 5 and I haven't played around with setting up Touch ID on any family members 5s. But when turning on and off the passcode lock, do you need to re-enroll your prints? Yes it would be a nuisance, but couldn't one just enable passcode when going out shopping and turn back off when home?

dajazz

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
I'm not a fan of passcodes or anything that slows me down unlocking my phone since I'm constantly accessing it, but Touch ID is so easy to use I couldn't imagine not using it now.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

You have to press the home or power button to wake the phone up to then "swipe to unlock" - why not just hold your finger down and let TouchID unlock it?

Because if someone managed to get your finger prints, you are screwed for life with finger print sensor. You virtually leave your finger prints everywhere, it is not really hard for someone to retrieve your finger prints. It is just matter how to hack into your phone with finger print stolen.

tribestros

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
Because if someone managed to get your finger prints, you are screwed for life with finger print sensor. You virtually leave your finger prints everywhere, it is not really hard for someone to retrieve your finger prints. It is just matter how to hack into your phone with finger print stolen.

lol you fandroids are funny

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010

The original poster mentioned they didn't want any passcode at all to unlock their phone. I don't think they are concerned about someone cloning their fingerprint to break into their phone.

ttmrn

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
tx

u make it sound like... if u didn't add this security then u will NEVER be a victim of fingerprint fraud.

that's almost like saying... if somehow, my home key never leaves my house - i am 100% sure my house will never be broken into..

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Its a security feature since someone can pick up the phone and start buying stuff.

While a handful a people don't care for this level of security, apple would have been eviscerated if they left such a huge security hole open on the iPhone.

OP's point is he wants to use TouchID only for Apple Pay, but not for unlocking. They'd be able to pick up the phone and start using it (skipping the passcode/TouchID for unlocking), but not buy anything (as it'd still require TouchID). Currently it's not possible as it's either all or nothing.

My guess is once unlocked, it's too easy to go into Settings and change the passcode/TouchID but Apple can easily block that if they wanted to make TouchID for Apple Pay and unlocking separately.

Joshitect

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
Lexington, KY

Yeah, I agree with this. I can unlock my phone faster with the touchID.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012

Lol - that's the same as someone stealing your card and using it.

If someone takes your phone you just put it in lost mode, since if they were to use ApplePay they'd need to be connected to the internet anyways - have you ever actually lost your phone?

Stop being so paranoid! :D

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Has the OP actually tried touch ID? it adds almost nothing to the time taken to unlock the phone and is not an inconvenience unlike a passcode.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Has the OP actually tried touch ID? it adds almost nothing to the time taken to unlock the phone and is not an inconvenience unlike a passcode.

While I love touchID, some people are unable to use it due to their fingerprints/skin not working well with the sensor.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Same here. TouchID unlocks faster than the normal swipe to unlock for me. Heck, I could even unlock the phone while taking it out of my pocket so it's ready for use right away.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014

No touchid is an EXTRA step and a delay. I hate delays

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
u make it sound like... if u didn't add this security then u will NEVER be a victim of fingerprint fraud.

that's almost like saying... if somehow, my home key never leaves my house - i am 100% sure my house will never be broken into..

Actually, no. If I loss my key, I could simply change my lock. But if someone has my fingerprints, i could not change my fingerprints.

With complex password, the chance of decrypeti password is very very slim. Unless someone willing to build a super computer and running brute force for couple decades,

----------

Lol - that's the same as someone stealing your card and using it.

If someone takes your phone you just put it in lost mode, since if they were to use ApplePay they'd need to be connected to the internet anyways - have you ever actually lost your phone?

Stop being so paranoid! :D

I have actually lost one of my BlackBerry before. Luckily, I didn't have so much personal info on my old BlackBerry thanks to very ancient BlackBerry OS 7.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I really don't understand why you all think it won't work....

I don't use TouchID to unlock my phone, but I do use it for Applepay./iTunes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.