Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, multiple reports indicated that pharmacy chains CVS and Rite Aid were disabling near field communications (NFC) payment terminals at some of their locations in order to stop the use of Apple Pay. Now, The New York Times reports that both drug chains have officially disabled Apple Pay from working at their stores nationwide.

applepaytouchid.jpg

A spokeswoman for Rite Aid said that the company "does not currently accept Apple Pay" and that the company was "still in the process of evaluating mobile payment options." Representatives from CVS did not respond to interview requests from The New York Times. Apple declined to comment on the actions from both stores. However, chief emerging payments officer at MasterCard Ed McLaughlin said that "consumers should have the ability to pay any way they want" and that the company "looks forward to [CVS and Rite Aid] turning on the functionality back on in their stores."

Many believe that Rite Aid's and CVS's moves to disable Apple Pay support is related to their participation in the Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX), which is a group consisting of other retailers like Walmart, Best Buy, and Gap. MCX is developing its own mobile payment system known as CurrentC, which will be available next year according to a claimed internal Rite Aid message.

Apple Pay launched last week and is accepted at over 200,000 locations in the U.S. Rite Aid and CVS competitor Walgreens has been one of the biggest supporters of Apple Pay, as the feature is available at many of its over 8,000 stores around the United States.

Article Link: CVS and Rite Aid Officially Disable Apple Pay Support At Stores Nationwide

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Drive away your wealthier customers who can afford an iPhone. Makes perfect sense.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Should examine whether this move complies with antitrust laws, banking laws, and the credit card merchant agreements.

Also: Rite Aid sucks.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
So they plan on having their own separate mobile payment option, the whole point of using your smart phone is you don't have to bring anything else.

Looks like a backwards step that will probably backfire now all NFC devices (not only the iPhone6) aren't able to use the service.

This is from a guy not in the US and dying to have other options like this.

Adam2222

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
New York times is reporting on it now? My guess is within a few days they will all re-enable it because it is quickly becoming a national issue and not losing thousands of customers/stopping negative press will become more important than trying to stop competition of their crappy payment system.

I bet the quote will be something like "we were still testing Apple pay for maximum compatability with our nfc system" as if it had nothing to do with their competing product and they had planned to enable Apple pay all along and this whole thing was just a misunderstanding.

Last edited:

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Should examine whether this move complies with antitrust laws, banking laws, and the credit card merchant agreements.

Also: Rite Aid sucks.

No need to worry about legalities. The loss of income should be enough punishment. IF the customers do the right thing and take their business elsewhere.

This seems to be an increasing trend. More and more companies seem to feel entitled to get more than just money from the customers. They want their info. And now they want access to their bank accounts. We are slipping down the slippery slope folks.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I'm pretty ashamed of CVS at the moment. Their corporate headquarters are located in my home state so they are pretty big around here.

And they just got done installing all new POS terminals with NFC readers in pretty much all their stores.

I understand them along with some other major players are moving towards currentc but imo apple pay is just another form of payment no different than swiping s card with some added security for the card owner.

Not good CVS not good at all.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
looks forward to [CVS and Rite Aid] turning on the functionality back on in their stores.

Strikes me as being a veiled threat.

If you must go to CVS or Rite Aid, pay in pennies and dimes. Maybe when you're holding up the queue for several minutes they'll appreciate the worldwide NFC standard. And actually tell them: "I would have paid with my phone in a couple of seconds, but you deliberately turned it off, so this is what you get."

Adam2222

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
Strikes me as being a veiled threat.

If you must go to CVS or Rite Aid, pay in pennies and dimes. Maybe when you're holding up the queue for several minutes they'll appreciate the worldwide NFC standard.

All that will do is annoy the 19 year old making $10/hour working the register. Douchey move.

Anakairos

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
So, do I understand it right?
If I came to the U.S. und tried to pay with my debit card with NFC it wouldn't work, either?
Really stupid.
(Just in case: yes, I do pay 90% of my transactions with my NFC debit card, it's fast and secure, because I never give my card to anyone.
And yes: here in Poland this is 'standard')

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
All that will do is annoy the 19 year old making $10/hour working the register. Douchey move.

Of course it's a douchey move. It's an appropriately douchey response to a douchey manoeuvre by the company.

And they'll complain to their boss, and they'll complain to their boss, and so forth. This is how things get fixed - from the grassroots level. Enough people do it and there'll be an obvious monetary penalty to the company. Until they're negatively impacted, they won't give a crap about the customer.

Last edited:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Making it difficult or restricting the ability for consumers to spend money easily in these stores seems so backwards to me.

I've not read much info on these issues but at face value it seems a but stupid.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
So, do I understand it right?
If I came to the U.S. und tried to pay with my debit card with NFC it wouldn't work, either?
Really stupid.
(Just in case: yes, I do pay 90% of my transactions with my NFC debit card, it's fast and secure, because I never give my card to anyone.
And yes: here in Poland this is 'standard')

If you went to shop at CVS and needed NFC to complete your purchase then nope you would not be able to use your NFC adapted debt card. The terminal will read your card and will beep but the register says "another tender required".

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I've moved my prescriptions to Walgreens. Now instead of making a left, I make a right. They are 230 ft apart in my town.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 5.55.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-27 at 5.55.04 AM.png
    114.8 KB · Views: 277

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Looks like MacRumors is going to milk this topic dry by posting a dozen overlapping topics - - just like they did when they promoted the fake bending story.

danielowenuk

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
As headline grabbing as this sounds, what it means in reality is they have switch off NFC payments, which is pretty dumb.

Looks like we are going to see massive variation in shops accepting payment types, which sucks, I thought NFC would be the standard, now it seems we are going to get different flavours of NFC :(

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
So they plan on having their own separate mobile payment option, the whole point of using your smart phone is you don't have to bring anything else.

Looks like a backwards step that will probably backfire now all NFC devices (not only the iPhone6) aren't able to use the service.

This is from a guy not in the US and dying to have other options like this.

No, this has nothing to do with ApplePay. Wallet still required.

The entire point is enhanced security, using EMVco tokenization standard so that you dont give out critical personal acct information during transactions.

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
Check out the CurrentC app's comments sometime. One star, 1000 reviews, all angry (as far as I can tell). Seems like this issue is getting some traction at least...

Attachments

• IMG_1244.PNG
    IMG_1244.PNG
    129 KB · Views: 482

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
As headline grabbing as this sounds, what it means in reality is they have switch off NFC payments, which is pretty dumb.

Looks like we are going to see massive variation in shops accepting payment types, which sucks, I thought NFC would be the standard, now it seems we are going to get different flavours of NFC :(

1 flavor of NFC. CVS/RiteAid shut off ALL NFC.

ApplePay, GoogleWallet, Paypass, and Paywave. All.

All or nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.