Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Hey all, my 3g iPod 15GB has been diagnosed w/ a broken hard drive. It will cost $109.00 to replace the hard drive and they will also replace the battery w/ a new one for free. Is it worth it? I have a Video iPod already. I thought of having it repaired then sell it on ebay but the cost will be about the same. So.. any thoughts??

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
noel4r said:
Hey all, my 3g iPod 15GB has been diagnosed w/ a broken hard drive. It will cost $109.00 to replace the hard drive and they will also replace the battery w/ a new one for free. Is it worth it? I have a Video iPod already. I thought of having it repaired then sell it on ebay but the cost will be about the same. So.. any thoughts??

I was thinking the same, when I realized my 3g iPod won't be around for ever. I'll keep mine when it breaks, because the 3g is a classic.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Tymmz said:
I was thinking the same, when I realized my 3g iPod won't be around for ever. I'll keep mine when it breaks, because the 3g is a classic.

Why is it a classic? I've got one, a 40GB, but I always thought it was the black sheep of the iPod family. I guess I prefer the click-wheel over the four butons....

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Keep it. I've got a 3G iPod that I'll never get rid of. I may not use it as much now since I went and bought a shuffle for the commute, but it's a classic. And it's better than those fangled click-wheels. At least I had some method of using an iPod that did what I wanted it to do and isn't schizo like a click-wheel is sometimes.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
eRondeau said:
Why is it a classic? I've got one, a 40GB, but I always thought it was the black sheep of the iPod family. I guess I prefer the click-wheel over the four butons....

I really like the new iPods a lot, but the red glowing buttons and the pure white body are just classic.

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
Maybe I'm dreaming this but doesn't Apple supply $50 for all traded in iPods so the hard drives can be properly recycled? ... maybe I'm completely wrong about that though

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
buy a broken ipod on ebay. get one with a broken screen or broken dock connector or something so you know the HD is fine. take that HD and put it in yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.