Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
If you only use a Smart Cover, does the back get scratched up under regular use? I don't want to ruin the lightness of the iPad Air 2 with a case but also worried the back might get scratched up.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is probably going to be moved to the Accesory forum, but.... I used a Smart Cover only on my Air 1 since last December, and not a single scratch. I'm careful, but I did carry it with me quite a bit. The increased weight of a case was annoying to me, and I took it off after one day (Poetic something or other, 5 oz).

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
You can always use some sort of sticker. That's what I do. Ghost Armor, *sticker boy, best skins ever, iCarbon are only 4 that make them.

They don't add any weight but protect from scratches. Some are clear, some are matte, some are carbon fiber, some are wood-like, some even will use your own photo.

And then there are all sorts of back cases such as TPU, silicon, jelly..

You have lots of choices if you want back protection.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I had my rMini in a case before giving it to my wife...the back of the mini was flawless....she uses a cover, and its all scratched to hell....i guess it depends on what you are sliding it on.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I have an Air 1 and for a lont time I used a poetic case, I just bought a new Smart Cover and a Neoprene case to hold the tablet when I'm not using it, but just in case I ordered a Decal Girl skin for the back, that way I get the protection from scratches, still an issue if you drop the tablet just has to be careful

Pjrufus

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I prefer a case, but there aren't many options available right now. I bought a Luvitt Dolce on Amazon, and an Air 1 Smart Cover on eBay (they fit the Air 2.) Spent under $30 for both. I may just find I like that combo over a case, but at least I'll have something.

bronzini

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
This is probably going to be moved to the Accesory forum, but.... I used a Smart Cover only on my Air 1 since last December, and not a single scratch. I'm careful, but I did carry it with me quite a bit. The increased weight of a case was annoying to me, and I took it off after one day (Poetic something or other, 5 oz).

Same here. Not a scratch

MisterPunchy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
CA
Ya, mine was pretty resistant to deeper scratches, but the anodizing totally rubbed off all around the perimeter of the back. Looks bad. My next one will either have some protection on the back, or a smart-cover and I'll always set it on its front (cover down)

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
I opted for the cover instead of the case because of your same concern. Any time I set it down I just leave the cover on the back or lay it face down with the cover on the screen. And like some above said, I also got a slip case for traveling.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I opted for the cover instead of the case because of your same concern. Any time I set it down I just leave the cover on the back or lay it face down with the cover on the screen. And like some above said, I also got a slip case for traveling.

My wife and son use cases, and we all have neoprene slip cases from the dollar store. My wife has pink, and we have black. They weigh nothing.....

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Get the smart case. It's my first time ever using a smart case and damn it's awesome!

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
kayscase from amazon also protect the back only with clear cover. you might wanna check Amazon.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Same here, October 2013. Not a scratch.

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Luvvitt themselves say its not compatible with the smart cover because it has no cutout for the magnet.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Do you have one? I was hesitant to order because the first review said it doesn't allow the Smart Cover to close completely.

Getting mine today.

----------

Luvvitt themselves say its not compatible with the smart cover because it has no cutout for the magnet.

That's the Clarity. The Dolce is specifically designed to work with a Smart a Cover.

Or so says the product description.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
If you only use a Smart Cover, does the back get scratched up under regular use? I don't want to ruin the lightness of the iPad Air 2 with a case but also worried the back might get scratched up.
In simple terms, NO! I had a smart case on my iPad Air for a year. I carried it around a lot. I sold it the other day and the back looked perfect.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
You can always use some sort of sticker. That's what I do. Ghost Armor, *sticker boy, best skins ever, iCarbon are only 4 that make them.

They don't add any weight but protect from scratches. Some are clear, some are matte, some are carbon fiber, some are wood-like, some even will use your own photo.

And then there are all sorts of back cases such as TPU, silicon, jelly..

You have lots of choices if you want back protection.

I've been using skinomi sold on Amazon for the last 4 years.

macstever

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Orlando, FL

Got Air 1 on launch day and never used back case. No scratches.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I've used both my iPad 2 and iPhone 5s without a back case and the aluminum never had any scratches whatsoever. On the other hand, the chamfered edges on the Air might get scratched up easily, but other than that the Smart Cover is more than enough to keep your iPad protected.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I dont like the smart cover as well due to the back being unprotected. Maybe the TPU from Luvvit would do the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.