Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Maybe you can help me win an argument...or come to my senses.

I got caught up in the hype and am about to purchase an iPad Air 2 when my best friend asked me "What can the new iPad do that yours can't?" And I really didn't have a good answer.

It can utilize Air Drop and Handoff, but other than what can it do that a 3 cannot? Then I started to doubt my own purchase. I mean thinner, lighter, faster...yes, but the basic idea of the iPad hasn't changed.

How would you respond to this question?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Other than Apple Pay on websites, Touch ID, the extra RAM, the better camera? I guess if thinner and lighter and faster doesn't impress you, then it's the same thing.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Other than Apple Pay on websites, Touch ID, the extra RAM, the better camera? I guess if thinner and lighter and faster doesn't impress you, then it's the same thing.

It's not that it isn't impressive; it's enhanced in every way. Still, what fundamental change will it bring. On one hand, I use it everyday for school work and thinner/lighter plus 10x the graphics would be nice, but my iPad 3 isn't failing me.

I just wonder if upgrading is unreasonable. If Apple would have given something new like split screen or a better optimized OS I could instantly justify it.

Last edited:

badmojo69

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Right, so for you it does nothing your IP3 can't do.
The day to day stuff is the same.

I'm sending mine back "again" and will go back to my Surface 2 (since I gave my IP3 to my kid) until I figure out if I want to pick up a used IP4 or mini.

I can think of better ways to spend $750.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
When you upgrade your laptop, what can your new laptop do that your old one can't? Not much, I'd guess, but you still get a better experience with the new laptop.

If the next iOS update brings multi-window capabilities to the iPad, the Air 2 will be able to handle it. The 3 will struggle, and possibly not even be supported.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
"what can the iPad Air 2 do that the iPad 3 can't?"

It will run "Metal" games.
It will tell you how high you are.
It will run iOS 10 :)

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
Carrier aggregation (LTE Advanced) is a plus

Also, the endless list lf LTE bands is an even bigger plus for those of us who travel overseas and use carrier sims abroad

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Hold onto more than one Safari tab at a time without having to reload.

Also, it hurts less when you drop it on your face while reading in bed.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Hold onto more than one Safari tab at a time without having to reload.

Also, it hurts less when you drop it on your face while reading in bed.

That happened once. :eek:

Got a corner right in the nose.

Last edited:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
If Apple would have given something new like split screen or a better optimized OS I could instantly justify it.

What you are looking for is a fundamental upgrade that just doesn't happen every year. If you already have an iPad and it works, this one will do it faster and be thinner and less heavy while doing the same thing. There are no apps that run on the Air 2 that don't run on previous iPads, with the exception of those supporting Touch ID and Apple Pay, and those are just features in a few apps right now.

I bought the Air 2 because the increase in speed alone was worth it. I game a lot. I want the fastest iPad available. But my Air 1 would suit me just fine.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Ok, following the logic, what can the iPad 3 do that the original iPad can't?

Fundamentally the same.

So, what can the iPad Air 2 perform that the original iPad can't?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

Fundamentally the same.

There's apps and functions that don't work on the original iPad, which only goes up to iOS 5.x.

Let's not get crazy, shall we?

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada

Fundamentally the same.

Handoff

Continuity

iOS 8

and many other things but I've never owned an iphone so I can't say for sure

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
It obsoletes all other iPads and iPhones without the frequent browser reloads and low memory crashes.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Argument: what can the iPad Air 2 do that the iPad 3 can't?

Answer: Hide behind a pencil which has been shaved down 18 (17??)%

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
(j/k) What iPad 3 can and iPad Air 2 can't:

- fatigue your wrist
- strengthen your muscles
- give you more time to relax before apps and webpages launch
- warm your palm

Note: I had the iPad 3 and it was a very great device in 2012.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Here are some things your iPad 3 can do that the iPad Air 2 cannot:

1. Spend 8 hours on a charger without reaching 100%.

2. Continue to lose power while playing games and running some apps while charging.

3. Be used as a hot-plate while performing mildly high powered tasks.

In all seriousness:

1. Touch ID/Apple Pay for web & app purchases (major security enhancement)

2. Increased speed & graphics performance. Allows for smoother running and lower power consumption for high powered apps (Keynote, Pixelmator, iMovie, Garageband) and games.

3. You'll be able to play the higher quality versions of games--the new iPad can handle all the graphics assets, iPad 3 cannot.

4. It will run iOS 8 without any trouble and give you all the new features, like Continuity--which the iPad 3 lacks.

5. It will take much higher quality photos and record better video than iPad 3.

6. Higher capacity storage models at lower price points than previous models.

7. Same resolution, but higher quality & anti-reflective display.

All in addition to the typical upgrades of thinner, lighter, faster.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Display: Better sharpness and contrast for superior readability of text.

Weight: iPad 3 is 1.5 x the weight of the Air 2. You can hold the Air 2 longer with greater comfort and less danger of injury. At just under a pound the thing is good for

This is not exactly related to your question, but iOS 8 is likely the last version to run on the iPad 3's A5X. Once it cannot run a current iOS version, resale value plummets. So if you do intend to sell the iPad 3 when you get a new iPad, now is the time to do it!

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
iPad 3 can't...

-command 60% of its original price in resale value next fall.
-let you forget you're carrying it.
-connect to an AC router at AC speeds
-use the same charging cable as an iPhone 5/6
-run iOS 8 smoothly
-charge quickly
-make your friends/coworkers jealous

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
As someone who upgraded from a three running iOS 8 I'm happy with my air 2. The three was great and I used it all the time. It 90% replaced my hp laptop for about everything minus photo editing, but it was time for an upgrade. I like Touch ID, the thinness and light weight is great, although I never owned an air so I don't know if the thinness was much improved. The first time I picked it up it was incredible how different it was. If you just browse the web there probably is no reason to upgrade, but I wanted more space, more ram to keep more apps open, and the Touch ID. I really enjoy mine.

mickeydean

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2011
Nothing functional which is why the iPad sales aren't like those for the iPhone.

The screen size is the same, whereas that has been keeping some iPhone users coming back with another $1000 after each generation (4 to 5 to 6).

LTE and touch ID are more relevant for a mobile phone but for most people, these are not a big deal for the iPad (not sure what the numbers but the iPad WIFI is what I use).

Smaller and thinner have marginal diminishing returns.

Faster processing and more RAM on an iPad are not the biggest deal since you don't do anything more than consume on an iPad.

The oldest updatable iPad is the best value iPad until they start adding new functionality to the new iPads.

I've been trying to convince myself that I need the iPad Air 2 over the iPad 3.

Smaller, thinner, touch ID, better CPU and more RAM, and etc are all well and good but it doesn't let me do anything I can't already do at a cost that I can't currently afford.

Maybe you can help me win an argument...or come to my senses.

I got caught up in the hype and am about to purchase an iPad Air 2 when my best friend asked me "What can the new iPad do that yours can't?" And I really didn't have a good answer.

It can utilize Air Drop and Handoff, but other than what can it do that a 3 cannot? Then I started to doubt my own purchase. I mean thinner, lighter, faster...yes, but the basic idea of the iPad hasn't changed.

How would you respond to this question?

Alex225

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012
You could use this question for a lot of things when you look at it a certain way.

What does s supercar do that a hatch back doesn't? Both dive A to B.

What does iOS do as a whole that Android doesn't?

It's not so much what it does but how it does it! Hence I'd have a Ferrari over a Ford and have an iPhone over and Nexus.

iPad 3 isn't dead or a crap bit of tech, but the Air 2 will do everything the 3 does that bit better :)

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
It depends on how you use it. If your iPad 3 isn't lagging and you aren't having reload problems that bother you then it might not be a worthwhile upgrade.

The other issue would be your financial resources. Can you afford the cash outlay? If you don't have the spare cash don't do it. If you do, put the extra cash into an IRA (it will be worth several thousands when you retire), pay an extra couple of car payments, pay off a credit card, put it into your 8-month cash reserve (because I'm sure you have one, right? Otherwise you can't afford it).

Unless you use your iPad in your professional work it has to enhance your life quite a lot to justify the outlay. Only you can decide that.

Ok, mother will quit lecturing.......sorry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.