Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I know Google is more of an information, ad revenue, and internet based company. But just for kicks, what if Google kept it's apps and services exclusive like Apple does?

Damn near everything Apple is exclusive for only Apple products. Facetime and iMessage is for Apple products only. No Safari browser or Apple Maps for any other mobile OS. No official Apple music/video app that syncs with iTunes.

Even Amazon excludes Prime video from Chrome Cast but allows it on other non Google streamers. And with the new Fire TV Stick, it's obvious why. Prime Video wasn't released on Android until Amazon realized the Fire Phone is a dud.

BlackBerry Messenger was exclusive until it basically became non relevant.

So what if Google decided to make all the apps and services below exclusive to Android? Do you think it would bring in more Android users? Or would it be worst off for Google?

Voice
Play
Maps
Earth
Now
Chrome
Youtube
Plus
Hangouts
Chromecast
Drive
Docs
Blogger
Translate
Zagat
Syncing Contacts, Calendar, photos
and etc:

What if Google said "Make some of your apps and services cross platform, or we'll make ours exclusive." You think Apple would cave in to such a demand?

wilky76

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
Tbh i think Apple would ditch all Google services if it could they already tried and failed with Apple maps.

As it stands Apple need Google more than Goggle needs Apple, if they where to pull all their services from Apple then you would see a few people switch as Apple would never share it's software no matter how much pressure they would be under.

They would just try and come up with their own services & more than likely ultimately fail.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think Google realise they would lose a hell of a lot of eye's on screens if they did this. Apple keep certain things exclusive, but these are things that have alternatives on other devices. Apple are able to make this model work because they sell a product that contains software and hardware exclusive to them. It is a good product that is currently very desirable too. Google offer software that is lent out to manufacturers and most of their services are free anyway.

Google could try and make their offerings exclusive but is it really worth the risk? iPhone users are still using these services and cutting this capability off could have an unnecessary effect on the mobile market. Google are in a good position and the model works, just like Apple's currently works because consumers are buying their devices for the experience. There is room in the market for both and Google are still primary choice regardless of what platform they are on. :)

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
The internet in China is pretty much google free. Chinese phones have all google services removed. Even Chinese Android is google free.

I prefer to use what I want though. Limiting google would not work in Apples favour.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
As it stands Apple need Google more than Goggle needs Apple, if they where to pull all their services from Apple then you would see a few people switch as Apple would never share it's software no matter how much pressure they would be under.

They would just try and come up with their own services & more than likely ultimately fail.
I don't think that is correct and a little naive, without being rude. If we forget Apple's mobile devices are the single most popular devices in the industry we should really remember how widely used they are in the business world. Apple are a major player and the transition would not happen over night. Google kicked up a big fuss a couple of years ago when Apple attempted to drop many of their services. If Google didn't 'need' Apple then I doubt they would have been so vocal. The reality is they are important to each other as partners because off the outreach of their products. Apple and Google have realised this and continue to work together because its in both of their best interests.

----------

The internet in China is pretty much google free. Chinese phones have all google services removed. Even Chinese Android is google free.

I prefer to use what I want though. Limiting google would not work in Apples favour.
The internet in China is pretty free of everything the government don't want their citizen's to see though. I don't think that is an innovative way to look at things and this means both Apple and Google are excluded from a huge market.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I know Google is more of an information, ad revenue, and internet based company. But just for kicks, what if Google kept it's apps and services exclusive like Apple does?

Damn near everything Apple is exclusive for only Apple products. Facetime and iMessage is for Apple products only. No Safari browser or Apple Maps for any other mobile OS. No official Apple music/video app that syncs with iTunes.

Even Amazon excludes Prime video from Chrome Cast but allows it on other non Google streamers. And with the new Fire TV Stick, it's obvious why. Prime Video wasn't released on Android until Amazon realized the Fire Phone is a dud.

BlackBerry Messenger was exclusive until it basically became non relevant.

So what if Google decided to make all the apps and services below exclusive to Android? Do you think it would bring in more Android users? Or would it be worst off for Google?

Voice
Play
Maps
Earth
Now
Chrome
Youtube
Plus
Hangouts
Chromecast
Drive
Docs
Blogger
Translate
Zagat
Syncing Contacts, Calendar, photos
and etc:

What if Google said "Make some of your apps and services cross platform, or we'll make ours exclusive." You think Apple would cave in to such a demand?

Of the services you mentioned, the only major ones that would raise some eyebrows would be YouTube, Maps, and Gmail (contacts, colander). And of course search. And how many average people are going to switch to android because of one of those 4? The biggest one would probably be YouTube since there really isn't a good competitor available on iOS, but even then it would seem that Google would lose more than it would gain.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Just my personal experience, your mileage may vary...

Voice - I have a Google Voice # but is rarely used and isn't needed
Play - don't use
Maps - don't use
Earth - don't use
Now - don't use
Chrome - use sometimes, prefer Safari
Youtube - rarely use at all and wouldn't miss it
Plus - don't use
Hangouts - don't use
Chromecast - don't use
Drive - have Drive but use Dropbox
Docs - don't use
Blogger - don't use
Translate - don't use
Zagat - don't use
Syncing Contacts, Calendar, photos - don't use

What I do use is Gmail
But even that isn't exclusive as my primary email is a .mac account

If Google went away, I wouldn't miss a beat really
If Apple went away, I would have to totally change my work flow, hardware and software

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I don't think that is correct and a little naive, without being rude. If we forget Apple's mobile devices are the single most popular devices in the industry we should really remember how widely used they are in the business world. Apple are a major player and the transition would not happen over night. Google kicked up a big fuss a couple of years ago when Apple attempted to drop many of their services. If Google didn't 'need' Apple then I doubt they would have been so vocal. The reality is they are important to each other as partners because off the outreach of their products. Apple and Google have realised this and continue to work together because its in both of their best interests.

Android is about 80% market share in the US. That's probably similar everywhere else. Android is also arguably as equally refined as iOS, especially with upcoming Lollipop. Also manufacturer's hardware of Android flagship phones have basically caught up to the iPhone's premium build.

If Google actually thought to make a wild move in making their apps and services exclusive, it would be a huge deal. I think it will initially alienate iOS users, including myself who still uses my iPad 2 occasionally. But in the long run(1-2 years), Google would probably see results in their favor.

Of course that will never happen, but it's interesting to think about.

----------

Of the services you mentioned, the only major ones that would raise some eyebrows would be YouTube, Maps, and Gmail (contacts, colander).

Yes, Youtube would probably be the biggest blow to users.

J
What I do use is Gmail
But even that isn't exclusive as my primary email is a .mac account

I didn't include Gmail, cause I can use .me email on Android, but not the syncing contacts, calendar, photos function.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
A move like that would hurt Google more than Apple. Apple is the most popular phone manufacturer in the world, they could use Microsoft products with a small blip.

I could give up gmail in a heartbeat, and the other services.

Google need Apple more than Apple needs Google. Google needs you Apple needs your business.

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
The big ones that would leave Apple in trouble:

Search (imagine having to use Bing!)
Maps (anyone saying Apple Maps competes is delusional)
YouTube (there is no comparison)

Then, big misses but you can live without them:

Gmail (yes you can use stock Mail but you'd lose a lot of functionality)
Google Now (getting more useful by the week)
Calendar (there are alternatives but for shared calendars it's still the best)
Docs (again simply for shared/collaborative stuff it's great)
Chrome (great browser but Chrome, Safari, Firefox all copy each other lol)
Play Music (getting damn good but obviously there are other options)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Could easily live without search, maps and youtube. In fact Google gets its mapping data from navteq, just like everybody else.

Imagine losing 500,000,000 customers? How long would the ceo retain his job?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Imagine losing 500,000,000 customers? How long would the ceo retain his job?

I doubt Google would lose even a quarter of that many iOS users.

Gmail will still be available through most email apps. Although sync services will be shut down on iOS. Most people who use Gmail as their main email account will not switch.

You can get rid of the Google search app, but not Google search engine from within the browser.

iOS users will still use Youtube on their computers and other non iOS devices.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Gmail will still be available through most email apps. Although sync services will be shut down on iOS. Most people who use Gmail as their main email account will not switch.

You can get rid of the Google search app, but not Google search engine from within the browser.

You could still use Youtube via web browser. Locking down Gmail would have the greatest impact, IMO. Everything else, there's a reasonable alternative available (note: not saying equal, but adequate alternatives are there) or the app's penetration just isn't significant enough.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
If we forget Apple's mobile devices are the single most popular devices in the industry

Statements like this are always so fun when (uninformed?) people make them and you realize that Apple has like around 15% of the market.

http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-v-android-market-share-2014-5

Best quote: "Is it boxed in as a brand and a platform that merely serves the richest 15% of the world, while everyone else uses Android?"

"In Q4 2013, according to research firm IDC, Google's Android mobile operating system had a 78% share of all users globally. Apple's iOS had just 18%"

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
You could still use Youtube via web browser. Locking down Gmail would have the greatest impact, IMO. Everything else, there's a reasonable alternative available (note: not saying equal, but adequate alternatives are there) or the app's penetration just isn't significant enough.

That's true. But you can't upload, and plenty of people upload from their phones. Also Youtube mobile is limited, and the desktop site is difficult to manage on a mobile device, also I'm not sure if all videos and embedded ads are html5 yet.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Statements like this are always so fun when (uninformed?) people make them and you realize that Apple has like around 15% of the market.

Best quote: "Is it boxed in as a brand and a platform that merely serves the richest 15% of the world, while everyone else uses Android?"

"In Q4 2013, according to research firm IDC, Google's Android mobile operating system had a 78% share of all users globally. Apple's iOS had just 18%"

You are comparing a phone to a free operating system, which as you say is what the uninformed do. Apple is not losing the war to Samsung or htc. IOS is not losing to android; in fact know what company has the most influence on the U.S. economy? Apple...because of their market cap. As far as serving the richest percent, Apple, BMW, Lexus, Gucci, Chanel, htc, Samsung pick your company are under no obligation to price their products at zero.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I am well aware of the overall market share in the global mobile sector so perhaps before referring to me as 'uniformed' you might want to discuss what is relevant.

Okay, for fun here can you quote a figure that states how many of the Android devices that make up the full 'marketshare' are leading devices and are used to their full potential? This excludes all the devices our 'Nan's own that are Android run and never connect to the internet. I am pretty sure that would be an impossible figure to produce so it is safe to just use a marketshare figure because it boosts the appearance.

It wasn't long ago we were told 65% of North America's mobile internet traffic came from iOS devices despite having a significantly lower market share. I know in early August Android over took iOS (only just, 0.5% worldwide) despite having more than 3 times as many devices in use. I think it is safe to say that despite how many devices are sold worldwide, iOS still has a significant presence in terms of usage and holds an identical share to Android, globally not just in one market. Judging the impact devices have on the market by just looking at marketshare is naive in the extreme IMO. Five years ago you wouldn't have blocked Blackberry from using email services simply because their marketshare was lower than a mainstream platforms because the context is very different.

If you want to back this discussion up by simply quoting marketshare then be my guest. The discussion is dead if other variables are not being considered.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
You are comparing a phone to a free operating system, which as you say is what the uninformed do. Apple is not losing the war to Samsung or htc. IOS is not losing to android; in fact know what company has the most influence on the U.S. economy? Apple...because of their market cap. As far as serving the richest percent, Apple, BMW, Lexus, Gucci, Chanel, htc, Samsung pick your company are under no obligation to price their products at zero.

The iPhone is iOS, and iOS is the iPhone. Same in the tablet market with iPad/iOS. So people have no choice but to compare the iPhone to the large range of Android phones. That's just the way it is.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The iPhone is iOS, and iOS is the iPhone. Same in the tablet market with iPad/iOS. So people have no choice but to compare the iPhone to the large range of Android phones. That's just the way it is.

Right, like comparing an iMac to Microsoft windows. Most people do not compare iphone to android. Internet rags like business insider can say anything the want; the first amendment is wonderful.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am well aware of the overall market share in the global mobile sector so perhaps before referring to me as 'uniformed' you might want to discuss what is relevant.

Okay, for fun here can you quote a figure that states how many of the Android devices that make up the full 'marketshare' are leading devices and are used to their full potential? This excludes all the devices our 'Nan's own that are Android run and never connect to the internet. I am pretty sure that would be an impossible figure to produce so it is safe to just use a marketshare figure because it boosts the appearance.

It wasn't long ago we were told 65% of North America's mobile internet traffic came from iOS devices despite having a significantly lower market share. I know in early August Android over took iOS (only just, 0.5% worldwide) despite having more than 3 times as many devices in use. I think it is safe to say that despite how many devices are sold worldwide, iOS still has a significant presence in terms of usage and holds an identical share to Android, globally not just in one market. Judging the impact devices have on the market by just looking at marketshare is naive in the extreme IMO. Five years ago you wouldn't have blocked Blackberry from using email services simply because their marketshare was lower than a mainstream platforms because the context is very different.

If you want to back this discussion up by simply quoting marketshare then be my guest. The discussion is dead if other variables are not being considered.
Can you back that up with anything other than your opinion?
just thinking it doesn't make it so......
The numbers will change when all the recent iphone sales numbers are included. But not by that much....

uz5Z9zZ.png

z6cVAf6.png

----------

Right, like comparing an iMac to Microsoft windows. Most people do not compare iphone to android. Internet rags like business insider can say anything the want; the first amendment is wonderful.

I think you are missing the point. There is only one IOS phone sold. That is the iPhone. What other phone would you compare to Android phones? This discussion was about IOS and Android.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It would never work. Google needs their stuff out to as many people as possible because consumers are a large portion of their business model, whereas Apple makes all of its money on hardware.

Personally, I wouldn't be affected in the slightest as far as Google apps are concerned. The only Gapp I use is Drive (because they gave me a crap ton of free storage). Google is still my default search engine in Safari and I have a gmail account, but other than that it wouldn't matter to me if they did so.

But like I said, they never would. They'd lose far too many "eyes on the screen" as someone above me put it.

----------

Actually, you can choose a different search default. Yahoo, Bing and DuckDuckGo are all alternatives.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

You are correct. Android phones are being given away for free; although the lowest rung android phone is better than the phones of 10 years ago, Apple does not use this model and cannot compete with free.

Although as I above noted Apple has 3.5% of the s and p weighting, which is more than android.

I would like to see a measurement of bytes transferred by browser type as well.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hang on a minute you've responded to me by showing me a graph of marketshare? How is that relevant to how many devices are using mobile services? Back in August business insider and Forbes to name but 2 sources reported that global mobile usage was shared almost equally between Android and Apple (44.1% and 44.6% in Androids favour). These are the figures that matter to Google when assessing who is using their mobile services. They don't care so much about the consumers who buy 30 quid Android handsets and never connect them to the internet because they are in pay as you go tariffs. The manufacturers get the profit there.

So yes I think I have backed up my stance with more than my opinion.
Nope you said...

I think it is safe to say that despite how many devices are sold worldwide, iOS still has a significant presence in terms of usage and holds an identical share to Android, globally not just in one market.

So show me then....... What does usage mean? And how would you measure it? Sales are still sales...in your hand means usage.......

I am sure there are some Android devices that never get to the internet. I am sure there are IOS devices that don't get to the internet too....no matter what the price difference is.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.