Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cd3267

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
Hi guys

Purchased a new MacBook Air last Wednesday and have been using it constantly now since and I'm starting to really enjoy the new hardware and software. I am a windows users til last week.

Question is, since the MacBook was quite expensive, how long would the system last me before I would start to see noticeable slowing down? I use my system for word, PowerPoint, Excel, basic Internet surfing and some basic Java Programming.

Cheers in advance.

EsspeN

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
Im still using my 2010 macbook air and having big problems justify a upgrade.. Battery is still okish, 72%..

If I buy a 2014 air I guess it will be top notch for atleast 5 years, if not longer.

cd3267

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
Hi EsspeN

Appreciate the response there. I'd love to get 5 years outta it. Be really happy with that.

Have you noticed any decline in performance over the years?

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Hi EsspeN

Appreciate the response there. I'd love to get 5 years outta it. Be really happy with that.

Have you noticed any decline in performance over the years?

Computers don't get slower.

Windows gets slower and bigger because it accumulates detritus from all the software you've ever installed, plus it keeps rollback information from whenever you install anything like a program or a patch or an update to anything.

OS X doesn't suffer from the same problem, or if it does in some cases, it's not nearly as bad.

I used a 2010 MBA for 4 years, never reinstalled the OS, updated it in-place year after year, and it was still running as well at the end of the 4 years as when I got it. Maybe better because of improvements that Apple made to the OS.

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
I'm still using my 2008 MacBook. It's still great for surfing the web and general Microsoft Office work. It's actually reasonably speedy considering its age.

Although it can't manage Photoshop anymore and the battery is near useless, which is why I want to replace it. It says I have 2 hours left after a full charge, but if I opened up YouTube it would die within half an hour or so.

This is a computer that is 6 years old though and in a completely different ballpark to the modern day Airs. My MacBook was less powerful than the iPad Airs when it was new, let alone the MacBook Airs. I would say that with your usage you could comfortably get 4 to 5 years out of a 2014 MacBook Air.

cd3267

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
Guys I really appreciate the replies - thank you.

I was kind of thinking about the money i spent however after hearing that I could get 4/5/6 years from a device I am feeling a lot better.

Thanks again guys

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Guys I really appreciate the replies - thank you.

I was kind of thinking about the money i spent however after hearing that I could get 4/5/6 years from a device I am feeling a lot better.

Thanks again guys

If you're worried about the money, too, then just remember that there's a big market for used Macs. If you decide you want to get off the MacBook ride you can get most of your money back even a few years down the line.

cd3267

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
If you're worried about the money, too, then just remember that there's a big market for used Macs. If you decide you want to get off the MacBook ride you can get most of your money back even a few years down the line.

That's not a bad idea there motrek- I'm not overly worried about the money. I just wanted to justify the cost in my head and to anybody that would ask.

Cheers again

----------

Should of said too - I have a thunderbolt to hdmi cable and have my MBA connected tou Samsung LED 55Inch TV with a wireless apple keyboard and mouse. It's fantastic to sit on the sofa and use it in full screen and the graphics are amazing on such a large scale.

So IMO money well spent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.