Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Is this now possible with the iP6?

Thanks

Yes with caveats:

• You must be on LTE.
  • You must have LTE mode set to Data+Voice.
  • You cannot switch to 3G mid call - the call will drop - you must stay in LTE service for the duration of the call.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
It works great on my 6 and 6 Plus. Now I can finally switch back to Verizon.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Is this now possible with the iP6?

Thanks

Yes with caveats:

• You must be on LTE.
  • You cannot switch to 3G mid call - the call will drop - you must stay in LTE service for the duration of the call.

+1 Yup.

Also, it must be turned on/activated both on the phone and on the account. Simple enough through phone's settings and MyVerizon.com

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
Thank you everyone.

Yes with caveats:

• You must be on LTE.

It works great on my 6 and 6 Plus. Now I can finally switch back to Verizon.

+1 Yup.

Also, it must be turned on/activated both on the phone and on the account. Simple enough through phone's settings and MyVerizon.com

michael5150

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
I actually confirmed this feature on my iphone 5. I talked with a vzw rep and she said it will work with any iphone5 or newer with iOS8 --

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I actually confirmed this feature on my iphone 5. I talked with a vzw rep and she said it will work with any iphone5 or newer with iOS8 --

Have you actually tried it? I don't believe it will work, it should be iPhone 6 only. However, I could be incorrect. I suggest you give it a try if you haven't already.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Has worked on my 5S since day one. You just have to be on LTE with data+voice.

It has nothing to do with the phone really, it was a network limitation. When Verizon rolled out LTE, that solved the problem.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yes, I have. that's what I meant by confirmed. :)

It has nothing to do with the phone really, it was a network limitation. When Verizon rolled out LTE, that solved the problem.

Strange, this was not available on either my iPhone 5 or iPhone 5s. I don't assume you are both lying (why would you), but can you take screenshots of being on a call and having LTE showing still in the status bar?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Strange, this was not available on either my iPhone 5 or iPhone 5s. I don't assume you are both lying (why would you), but can you take screenshots of being on a call and having LTE showing still in the status bar?

It doesn't work on my 5s. I have no option to activate it on the phone.

I think these guys are either confused or lying.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Everything is false with the above post.
Only works with Verizon on iPhone 6 and 6 plus.
It has everything to do with the phone.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Everything is false with the above post.
Only works with Verizon on iPhone 6 and 6 plus.
It has everything to do with the phone.

You guys are actually correct and I recant my comments. I was connected to wifi.... My bad.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Da flake indeed. :rolleyes:

LOL, was an honest mistake. ;) Just joined Verizon a few months ago and learning their nuances.

CDMA is the limitation and the way I understand it (now) is that when a call is made, the phone actually rolls back to CDMA as LTE (not VoLTE) is data only. Please correct me if I am wrong. The iPhone6 can use VoLTE which is why it can do both...

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
LOL, was an honest mistake. ;) Just joined Verizon a few months ago and learning their nuances.

CDMA is the limitation and the way I understand it (now) is that when a call is made, the phone actually rolls back to CDMA as LTE (not VoLTE) is data only. Please correct me if I am wrong. The iPhone6 can use VoLTE which is why it can do both...

No worries. We've all been there. Just thought it was funny considering your username.

There are people who are far more versed and knowledgable than I, but as I understand it, with VOLTE they just have the voice & the date both going over LTE, but the voice isn't counted against your data.

michael5150

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
Have you actually tried it? I don't believe it will work, it should be iPhone 6 only. However, I could be incorrect. I suggest you give it a try if you haven't already.

I stand corrected. It does NOT work on my iphone 5... I was connected to wifi -- good catch.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
We're talking about the iphone bud, in an iphone forum.
I don't think anyone care's if LG's or Samsungs can do it in this discussion. But thanks for over clarifying it :D

You're making statements that are incomplete/untrue regardless of forum, and I'm not your bud.

Apology accepted. Sucks to be you.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
You're making statements that are incomplete/untrue regardless of forum, and I'm not your bud.

Apology accepted.

"in context" or "connotation" =/= "untrue"

"Sucks to be you"? Now there's a quality pre-pubescent burn.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.