Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
So for a long time, my iBook comes up with the message:

"None of your trusted wireless networks could be found would you like to conect to "Joe Blows" network?

I always answered "no," and then selected my network from the Aiport dropdown in the menuabar with no problems. Connected right away.

The other evening, I try to connect on my iBook, and it qon't conect "There was an error connecting to the Airport," and it just wouldn't let me.

Then it just started happening on my PM. Since my machines are synced over .Mac, I thought it may be a keychain issues, removed both of the keychains, reset .Mac not to allow keychain syncing, repaired permissions, emptied all logs and cache, ran all the scripts and updated the prebindings, reset the router and totally reconfigured it with a new WEP pasword and no go. I also deleted my trusted network out of the Network panel and re-added it after a restart. Nothing.

Ideas before I give up on thie POS Linksys and drop $200 on a real Airport?

Neither the iBook or PM will connect, so it cannot be the AP Extreme cards.

Thanks in advance.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
You've pretty much covered all bases there iGary, perhaps try and see if it will work without a password. If it does then at least you've pinpointed the problem to some issue with WEP encryption.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Yeah, unplugged the router, rest it, everything above.

Now I disabled WEP, and it still won't connect.

I'd love to find out if PC can connect. That's the last hitch.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Can I use an Airport Extreme as a base station?

I only use wireless to walk around the house with the iBook and wirelessly network the PM and iBook.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
iGary said:
Can I use an Airport Extreme as a base station?

I only use wireless to walk around the house with the iBook and wirelessly network the PM and iBook.

I use the Extreme as a base station and it works perfectly. Tell the Linksy's where to go and just set up the Extreme, problem solved :D

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I struggled for years with Linksys and Netgear routers. I've had wired and wireless versions of both. I finally got wise and purchased the Airport Extreme Basestation. I no longer have ANY problems with my WiFi connection. I NEVER have to reset the router. Give the Linksys the boot, and enjoy the "it just works" concept with an Airport Extreme or Express.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
the only (in my opinion) fault of apple is that they want you to only use their products

for the same reason, they are much better integrated and "just work"

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
joshysquashy said:
the only (in my opinion) fault of apple is that they want you to only use their products

for the same reason, they are much better integrated and "just work"

Well, I've got a Buffalo 54G wireless router and that 'just works' too. Never had a single problem. Built-in firewall, supports WEP and the other one that I can never remember the name of, and NAT. I know you've never heard of them. That's my point. You don't have to buy Apple-branded products to get a good product.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Do you have the join "Preferred Networks" selected on Airport setup?

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 76

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
I have a similar problem but with a PC.

My powerbook connects fine to Netgear wireless/modem/router but the PC keeps getting errors, where web pages dont load. Thing that annoys me is that it happened suddenly.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I've not had any issues with various Linksys routers, and the one thing I prefer over the AirPort Express is the ability - especially with the Sveasoft firmware hacks - to really control access and set up port forwarding simply. I don't know how much better the AP Extreme is, and I suspect it's more configurable than the Express. The Express is OK though.

That said:

I loves me my three AirPort Expresses. Three? Yes, three. One in the basement, two others in various areas throughout the house to allow coverage everywhere, including the entire yard. APE's are very easy to get to work (singly or together) with Macs and PCs, and I love the form factor - one is hidden above the kitchen cabinet molding. And... I love the printer connection. The iTunes stuff? Never use it. But cool anyway. And one of them is connected to an older iMac and serves as a wireless bridge - ethernet goes from the iMac to the APE, and I get 802.11g speeds.

The best time to buy, though, is during the post-Thanksgiving $99 sale.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
OK -

I picked up an Airport this afternoon, and then returned it because it only had one LAN port, and I thought it was lame that I would have to hang a switch off the back of a 200 dollar appliance.

Anyway - I bought a new wireless router, and it still won't connect.

Airport non the PM and iBook will connect perfectly to all of my neighbors wireless networks, but every time I try to connect to my router (well two different ones now) it says "There was an error joining the Airport Network."

Both my PM and iBook give this message, so I said eff it and deleted my entire keychain (I have it on paper, too), modem reset, new wrieless router..... No joy.

So I try to set up using the assistant, and when I do, I put the EXACT WEP paswoord in and it says "invalid password."

I'm kind of at a loss. :rolleyes:

Permissions repaired, scripts run, prebindings fixed, PRAM reset, directory rebuilt, set it with firewall on and off.

Help?

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
iGary said:
OK -

I picked up an Airport this afternoon, and then returned it because it only had one LAN port, and I thought it was lame that I would have to hang a switch off the back of a 200 dollar appliance.

Anyway - I bought a new wireless router, and it still won't connect.

Airport non the PM and iBook will connect perfectly to all of my neighbors wireless networks, but every time I try to connect to my router (well two different ones now) it says "There was an error joining the Airport Network."

Both my PM and iBook give this message, so I said eff it and deleted my entire keychain (I have it on paper, too). No joy.

So I try to set up using the assistant, and when I do, I put the EXACT WEP paswoord in and it says "invalid password."

I'm kind of at a loss. :rolleyes:

Permissions repaired, scripts run, prebindings fixed, PRAM reset, directory rebuilt, set it with firewall on and off.

Help?

Maybe Apple read your sig?!?:D Just joking, sorry I do not have anything constructive to say other than, hang in there and good luck!:eek:

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Well the deal is, I only use AirPort to talk between my lappy and the PM when I am writing on the couch or something....

I'll try some more things tonight, and then a call to Applecare...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Which wireless router did you buy? I've had good luck with Linksys, never tried others.

Oh, and this: does it work if you don't set up authentication? Sounds like all those other networks don't require it. Not saying you don't need it... just trying to help debug.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Linksys - I now have two units, both of which work, but my machine wil not conect to them.

Every "assistant" for conecting to the router rejects the password, when I have the passwoord sitting right in front of me as I am connected to the router via Safari.

I've used the airport assistant, network assistant, checked all the prefs in System Preferences...

Again, I can hook up to "Bud's Wireless" :rolleyes:, but i can't get into mine - it keeps rejecting passwords, specifically WEP - on both Linksys routers I have tried.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
jsw said:
Which wireless router did you buy? I've had good luck with Linksys, never tried others.

Oh, and this: does it work if you don't set up authentication? Sounds like all those other networks don't require it. Not saying you don't need it... just trying to help debug.

No, it does't work if you turn the WEP or password off. Thanks, though. ;)

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Can you get into your Linksys router?.....your computer did connect to another network huh...so that wouldn't be a problem. Only thing i can see is it might be your settings....but you tried everything i would...for my last resort i would shut everything down (modem, router, ibook, PM) for at least 5-10mins then reset everything and try again.

Bless

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Edit - OK, with the new one, I CAN connect to it without a password. I couldn't with the old one....

At least we've got it down to the WEP being a problem.

OK - it won't connect with WEP (either 64 or 128). Enabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.