Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
Currently use a Nexus 5 and it is my first smartphone device, so this is a pretty new area for me. My computer is a 2011 iMac. I am considering switching to the iPhone 6 or maybe 5s but I'd like some advice on the matter.

There is nothing wrong with the Nexus 5 itself but I'd like to have an iPhone for greater unity since I am constantly using mail, calendar, and contacts on my iMac. It's a pain in the butt to keep making these changes manually on my Nexus 5. Looking at swappa, I could probably sell the phone for $280 to $300 and it's probably a good time to sell before the Nexus 6 is released.

But I do have a couple caveats. I don't like plans and would only pay upfront for an unlocked iPhone from Apple. Currently it looks like I can only by the 6 with a carrier? But you can buy the 5s unlocked? How does the battery life compare with Nexus 5? I'm not exactly a power use and usually have a 30 to 40% by the time I go to bed. Is the iPhone 6 comparable?

Thanks in advance...

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
My son did it on Saturday - He thought he could leave iOS after having every iPhone since the original - then had everyone in our family looking for a 64 iphone 6 + in space grey when he couldn't stand it any longer

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
At least the 6 would be around the same size or bigger if you do the 6+. I don't think I could go back to a smaller screen if you go for the 5S. The 6/6+ will have better battery life than the N5 and better camera. I do like the way the i6 integrates with my MBP since I upgraded that to Yosemite. What carrier do you have now? Can't you pay full price for the carrier one and have it unlocked because you pif for it?

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
There is nothing wrong with the Nexus 5 itself but I'd like to have an iPhone for greater unity since I am constantly using mail, calendar, and contacts on my iMac. It's a pain in the butt to keep making these changes manually on my Nexus 5.

I don't understand this... Google Mail, Calendar, and Contacts all sync natively to OSX. Why would you need to do anything manually?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Currently use a Nexus 5 and it is my first smartphone device, so this is a pretty new area for me. My computer is a 2011 iMac. I am considering switching to the iPhone 6 or maybe 5s but I'd like some advice on the matter.

There is nothing wrong with the Nexus 5 itself but I'd like to have an iPhone for greater unity since I am constantly using mail, calendar, and contacts on my iMac. It's a pain in the butt to keep making these changes manually on my Nexus 5. Looking at swappa, I could probably sell the phone for $280 to $300 and it's probably a good time to sell before the Nexus 6 is released.

But I do have a couple caveats. I don't like plans and would only pay upfront for an unlocked iPhone from Apple. Currently it looks like I can only by the 6 with a carrier? But you can buy the 5s unlocked? How does the battery life compare with Nexus 5? I'm not exactly a power use and usually have a 30 to 40% by the time I go to bed. Is the iPhone 6 comparable?

Thanks in advance...
You will love the IP6...great phone. If you want total compatibility get the full price Verizon model from the Apple store. Verizon phones are sim unlocked by design. So they will work with all carriers like AT&T and TMO and it is a world phone. So it works if you travel out of the US.....if you are from the US :).

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Thanks in advance...

Battery life is comparable/better with the 6. Apple is getting unlocked versions in, but its taking time. There are lines at my local Apple Store every few days as shipments arrive.

The iPhone 6 is a great device and continuity is awesome as well. Everything is integrated and syncs effortlessly.

*Source: Nexus 5 owner*

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Battery life is comparable/better with the 6. Apple is getting unlocked versions in, but its taking time. There are lines at my local Apple Store every few days as shipments arrive.

The iPhone 6 is a great device and continuity is awesome as well. Everything is integrated and syncs effortlessly.

*Source: Nexus 5 owner*
Is battery life really better? I heard the iPhone 6 gets about 3 hours of on screen time.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Is battery life really better? I heard the iPhone 6 gets about 3 hours of on screen time.

The battery life is A LOT better on the 6. I can go out at night with 40-50% battery left. My Nexus 5 used to die by about 7:30.

A great upgrade if you want to switch back to iOS.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I've been walking around with a work-issued Galaxy S4 and an iPhone 5. While I find Android to be somewhat awkward for my usage, I found the GS4 screen to look a lot better than my iPhone 5. A few weeks back I picked up an iPhone 6. While the screen is slightly lower res than the GS4, I think it looks a lot better. Unlike iPhones before iPhone 6, I can read most web pages in portrait mode without automatically flipping to landscape just so I could read the text. This is a huge time savings for me. On screen elements are easier to hit but there are times one-handed use isn't quite as easy as it was on the phone 5.

As a person with "old-eyes" I really never want to go back to a screen that is as small as the iPhone 5. If you are choosing between 5S and 6, get the 6. You will be happier with the 6. I found the battery life of the 6 to be better than that of the 5, and I assume it would be better than that of the 5S.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

Comparing battery consumption on different devices with different OS's is an exercise in futility. In fact, we could both have the same phone and get completely different battery stats.

It just so happens that I have both phones you are discussing. Battery life is relatively similar given similar settings. Expect between 3 to 5 hours of SoT for either phone. That is about as close to a real answer as you can get. +/-2 hours SoT between 2 vastly different phones.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
There is nothing wrong with the Nexus 5 itself but I'd like to have an iPhone for greater unity since I am constantly using mail, calendar, and contacts on my iMac. It's a pain in the butt to keep making these changes manually on my Nexus 5.

What is it exactly you need to do manually? all those things happen automatically for me (android - osx).

Check "sync contacts" and "sync cal"... cant be any easier =)
for example

Last edited:

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
I hear you. I am a former iPhone user and the temptation to go back is very compelling but I do enjoy the Android experience as well. I would wait and see what Lollipop brings you and see which you like better.

luked14

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Go with iPhone 6 Verizon edition (it is unlocked) it is a much better choice than 5s or nexus 5

+1 for this recommendation. Your best bet will be to buy a Verizon iPhone device only from an Apple Store. Only in store, not online. Now the only problem would be actually finding the one you want in stock.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
The Nexus 5 can still hold it's weight against a iPhone 6 plus unless you're looking for a better screen and camera. And just wait until you start running into the limitations of iOS. Just that fact alone made the experience boring when I had my iPhone 6 for 8 days.
I believe that the longer you use Android the harder it is to try anything else without the feeling of regret. I always felt like I was missing something when I carried that iPhone. Got to the point that I was carrying both a iPhone 6 and Note 3 around which is non-sense. Long time Android vets know what I'm talking about.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The Nexus 5 can still hold it's weight against a iPhone 6 plus unless you're looking for a better screen and camera. And just wait until you start running into the limitations of iOS. Just that fact alone made the experience boring when I had my iPhone 6 for 8 days.
I believe that the longer you use Android the harder it is to try anything else without the feeling of regret. I always felt like I was missing something when I carried that iPhone. Got to the point that I was carrying both a iPhone 6 and Note 3 around which is non-sense. Long time Android vets know what I'm talking about.
That depends on the person though. I was on Android for 4 years and jumped to the iPhone and now prefer it. It'll be different for everybody and our tastes differ.

nestafaria

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Can confirm great battery life, WAY better than the Nexus. Coupled with a MUCH better camera and screen, it's hard to go wrong.

Edit: I do miss wireless charging.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You know that usage is very different from screen on time, right?

Not in my case when I said that. I had been using my device quite a bit that morning checking emails and what not.

Of course, that also takes into account any background operations that were running while my screen was active.

Suffice it to say, I wasn't simply listening to music with the display off.

3 Hours of SOT is low....very low in my experience.

And my office has absolutely s***** cell service.....my battery gets killed by the connectivity problems and I still get through the work day using a few hours of SOT and only roughly half the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.